Dr. Bellarmine (Bella) Ezumah
210 Wilson Hall
Ph.D. Howard University, Washington, DC
M.S. Brooklyn College of The City University of New York
B.S. St. John's University, New York
- Peer-reviewed Journals:
- 2013 Agenda setting, framing, and news interpretation of mass media coverage of the 2013 papal resignation. Journal of Communication and Media Research.
- 2013 College students’ use of social media: Site preferences, uses and gratifications theory revisited. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 4(5), 27-34.
- 2013 The quest for an operative and proficient website for African newspapers: A potential challenge to one-way international news flow?” Journal of Communication and Media Research, 5(1), 57-68.
- 2013 (with Muuka, N.) AACSB accreditation: Towards assurance of learning best practices for the 5th year maintenance report. Academy of Business Research Journal.
- 2013 Generation Y and online advertising: Perceptions and preferences of social media network sites. Journalism and Mass Communication, 3(6), 213-225
- Book Chapters:
- 2013 College students’ use of social media: Uses and gratifications theory revisited. In G. A. Bonin and Y. Pasadeos (Eds.). Research: Learning from the past, strategies for the future. Athens: ATINER Publications.
- 2012 Planning and designing educational technology for low-income communities: A participatory and proactive approach. In N. Ekekwe and N. Islam (Eds.).
Disruptive Technologies, Innovations and global Redesign: Emerging Implications (pp. 315-330). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- 2012 (with Olunifesi, J. A.) - A review of privacy, internet security threat and legislationin Africa: A case study of Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt, and Kenya” In J. Abawajy, M. Pathan, M. Rahman, A. K. Pathan, and M. M. Deris (Eds.). Internet and distributed computing advancements: Theoretical frameworks and practical applications (pp. 115-136). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Grants and Awards:
- 2013 - Kentucky Colonel Award – Governor’s Scholars Program
- 2012 - Best Paper Award (with Muuka, N.): Academy of Business Research Conference in Biloxi, MS.
- 2010 - NSF/AECT Grant: Competitive selection All-expense paid Early Career in the Professoriate Symposium, Anaheim, CA.
2009 - National Science Foundation (NSF) Dissertation Improvement Grant $13,670.00
- 2009 - Howard University Annual Graduate Research Day (Top three papers - $75)
- 2007-2010: Frederick Douglass Scholarship – Academic Merit (Howard University)
- Distinguished Mentor Award Selection Committee member (Murray State University)
- Florida Communication Journal (Manuscript Reviewer)
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication (Manuscript Reviewer)
- Elected member of the Parish Council (St. Leo Catholic Church, Murray, Ky)
JMC 168 Contemporary mass media
JMC 330 Mass Media Effects
JMC 400 International Communications
JMC 630 Theories of Mass Communications
JMC 658 New Technologies
Monitoring and evaluation of educational technologies
International and cross-cultural communication
Social Media Networks uses and impact
Mass media effects
Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC)
Broadcast Education Association (BEA)
National Communication Association (NCA)
Southern States Communication Association (SSCA)
Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER)