Arthur J. Bauernfeind Master of Business Administration
In July 2012, the city of Murray received the rare distinction of being named the Friendliest Town in America. This was part of Rand McNally and USA Today’s “Best of the Road” competition. The Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business at Murray State University has a proud tradition of welcoming international students, international faculty and international visitors to our beautiful Campus. As the largest single graduate program at Murray State University (and the largest MBA Program in the state of Kentucky in 2012/2013), our MBA program has a healthy number of international students from such countries as China, India, Indonesia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Germany, France, Nigeria, Belize, Vietnam, Norway, Hong Kong, and Thailand.
As a matter of fact, “global footprints” define our Business School and our MBA Program. Specifically, our faculty have global experiences (they do travel abroad to teach, visit, or conduct research); our curriculum has a multidimensional and global focus; our students have the opportunity to study abroad; and we embrace diversity and a multicultural campus and environment. What is more, some 15% of the PhD faculty in the Bauernfeind College of Business are international faculty, including Associate Dean Dr. Muuka from Zambia. Others are from such countries as Armenia, Ethiopia, Germany, India, China and Myanmar.
In other words, if you are an international student, you will feel at home at Murray State University. To get into our MBA Program, you must pay attention to the following MBA requirements BEFORE you apply:
- TOEFL: take and submit your official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores. On the internet based test, you need a score of not less than 20 in each of the 4 examined areas.
- IELTS: Instead of the TOEFL, you can take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Aim for a score of not less than 6 in each of the 4 examined areas of the IELTS.
- GMAT/GRE: These are not waived, and cannot be waived because of work experience, a government scholarship, or a high GPA of 4.0 out 4.0. In other words, please take the GRE or the GMAT BEFORE you apply to the MBA Program. Otherwise the I-20 (which you need for Visa Purposes) will NOT be issued by the International Office at Murray State University. See the GRE/GMAT link on this website for score details.
- Conditional Admission: Yes, International students can be (and are) conditionally admitted to the MBA Program. Before the international office can issue your I-20, you must first submit the required GRE or GMAT score. This condition is not negotiable.
- The MBA Admission Decision: All international students should be aware that only two things are considered by the MBA Office in the admissions decision: (a) Your overall GPA, and (b) Your GMAT or GRE score. Your many years of work experience or possession of a government scholarship are good things to have, but are not part of the actual MBA admissions process.
- International Application: Go ahead and complete/submit an international application. To apply, go to the Murray State University main website (http://www.murraystate.edu/) and do two things, that is: (a) Go to Prospective Students, and then (b) International Students. You will find all the general requirements for international students, as well as the actual application form link. If you wish to contact our international office, their e-mail address is: email@example.com. All international applications, without exception, must first go to the international office, called the Institute for International Studies (IIS). In other words, please do not send your transcripts and scholarship evidence to the MBA Office. They must be sent to the IIS first. The IIS will then send your application to the MBA Office for the admissions decision.
Plan B: If you cannot get into our MBA Program due to GMAT/GRE difficulties, Murray State University has other graduate programs that do not require the GMAT or GRE. These include (a) The Master’s Degree in Mass Communications, (b) Master’s Degree in Organizational Communication, and (c) The Master’s Degree in Applied Engineering and Technology Management. Contact the respective graduate program directors for more information on these programs.
A wonderful, life-changing experience awaits international students on the beautiful campus of Murray State University or online. Welcome on board.