Admission to Social Work Program
Students wishing to pursue
an area in social work may either declare a social work area when they enter
Murray State University or later change their area to social work. Students
are then assigned to an academic advisor and will be permitted to enroll
in the first four social work courses:
- SWK 101 - Introduction to Social Work
- SWK 201 - Social Work and Social Welfare
- SWK 225 - Human Diversity
- SWK 302 or SWK 302 - Human Behavior I or Human Behavior II
Before continuing further, the student
must be formally admitted to the Social Work Program. The Student Handbook
of the Murray State University Baccalaureate Social Work Program contains
the full admissions policy and is available online.
Briefly, the student must:
- Have completed 60 hours of coursework with
a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5.
- Have completed the above four courses with an
average G.P.A. of 2.5
- Have no social work course grades below "C."
- Demonstrate competency in written and oral communication.
- Complete an application for admission to the
- Complete a successful review with the Social
Work Program Admissions Committee that may involve an interview with
- Sign a statement agreeing to abide by the Code
of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers.