Presidential Search Process
2013-14 Presidential Search Process
BACKGROUND: The presidential search to be conducted by the Murray State
University (MSU) Board of Regents will be national in scope,
confidential in deliberations, public at the time finalists are
identified and will honor the University’s commitments to
nondiscrimination and equal opportunity. The search process will be
conducted with the utmost integrity.
TIMETABLE: The search will commence in the summer of 2013 with the
expectation that the president-elect will be chosen no later than March
2014. The newly-appointed President will be expected to assume the
presidency no later than the summer of 2014.
PROCESS: The Chair of the MSU Board of Regents will appoint a
nine-member Search Committee representing the faculty, staff, students
and alumni of the University, with five members of the Search Committee
drawn from the membership of the Board of Regents.
1. The Presidential Search Committee will have full authority to
structure its work and processes consistent with the timetable and
stipulations outlined in this policy statement.
2. The Presidential Search Committee will have the option of engaging an
external executive search firm to assist in the search process.
3. The Presidential Search Committee will be charged to identify at
least two, but no more than four candidates, to recommend unranked, to
the full Board as being the best qualified individuals to serve as
4. The Presidential Search Committee will maintain in confidence the
names of all nominees and applicants, as well as its deliberations.
5. The designated finalists will be invited to campus to meet with the
campus community. At least one of those meetings will be an open public
forum. A process will be structured by which feedback from these
meetings will be received by the Board.
6. Appropriate funding will be set aside to cover the costs of the
search process, including travel expenses of Search Committee members
and the candidates invited for interviews.
7. Consistent with the Kentucky Revised Statutes, the Murray State Board of Regents will select the next President.
Approved by the Murray State University Board of Regents May 10, 2013