Comprehensive University Endowment Trust Fund
Benefits | Faculty | Contact us
The Tom W. Hutchens Endowed Professorship
is occupied by Fred L. Miller, Ph.D, professor of marketing and telecommunication systems management (TSM). Dr. Miller leads the Emerging Technologies in Marketing Initiative of the Center for Entrepreneurship within the College of Business at Murray State University.
Dr. Miller holds a B.A. from Centenary College, an M.B.A from Murray State University, and a Ph.D from Temple University. He has taught in the Department of Management, Marketing, and Business Administration in the College of Business for twenty-eight years. He has expanded the marketing curriculum with courses in eCommerce and Business GIS. He has developed traditional and online classes in both these areas. As a result of his efforts Murray State was among the first U.S. universities to offer online courses in both these fields and is still one of the few U.S. business schools with a dedicated Business Geographic Information System (GIS) course.The focus of the Hutchens Professorship is Integrated Business GIS. Business GIS combines extensive mapping capability, spatial analytical tools, and relational database management capabilities to create new analytical and visualization capabilities. Integrated Business GIS adds extensive, current collections of demographic, lifestyle and business data, automated spatial analysis tools for business and a full suite of pre-configured reports to this mix. This places Business GIS tools within the financial and technical reach of a wide range of organizations, including large and small corporations, economic and community development groups and local service organizations. During the 2012-2013 academic year, these resources were used to support the following accomplishments:
- Publication of 19 Business GIS SpatiaLABS in the SpatiaLAB series published by ESRI Press;
- Redesign of two new Business GIS courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels;
- Received ESRI Education ArcGIS for Organizations grant to develop RacerGISOnline.org as an organizational portal for Murray State University;
- Developed and, with the help of seven departmental colleagues, implemented the RacerGISOnline system with a concentration on eight modules for using Business GIS in various marketing courses;
- Won the Society for Marketing Advances Cengage Teaching Competition with an innovation based on the RacerGISOnline system.
- Participated in GIS education activities that were recognized by Esri with a Special Achievement in GIS Award in July 2013,
- Completion of seven Business GIS projects with regional and university clients using student project and program resources;
- Published, with several colleagues, two refereed journal articles related to Business GIS and eCommerce technologies in marketing;
- Served on the Business Geography Curriculum Development Task Force of the Business Geography SIG in the American Association of Geographers.
- Presented programs relative to Business GIS, GIS in the social sciences and teaching with GIS at several state, regional and national conferences or workshops; and
- Acquired and installed the latest version of Business Analyst and ArcGIS Online for Organizations software in College of Business and TSM teaching labs.
By developing Integrated Business GIS teaching, research and service capabilities at Murray State, we can prepare our students for new career opportunities with global organizations while simultaneously supporting our growing commitment to entrepreneurship and regional stewardship. We are among the first universities in the world to utilize this opportunity, which further enhances Murray State’s reputation as an innovative, high quality institution.