Take Your Place in the Murray State Tradition
Majors/Minors & Areas
MSU shield in stone relief.

Skip Navigation LinksDirectory > Administration > Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs > Center for Academic Success > Majors/Minors & Areas

Majors/Minors & Areas

Your Advisor | Majors/Minors & Areas | Declaring a Major | What Can I Do With this Major? | Undeclared/Undecided | University Bulletin | Registering for Classes | Important Dates | RACR Degree Audit | First Year Experiences | FYE & 100T Courses | Strategic Learning (Study Skills) | Resources | For Academic Advisors 
Meet the Center Staff | Center Staff Appointments | University Contacts

What is the difference between an AREA and a MAJOR?

An AREA requires a minimum of 48 hours of credit in addition to University Studies courses and can be completed in lieu of a MAJOR-MINOR combination.

A MAJOR requires at least 30 semester hours of credit in addition to University Studies courses and must be accompanied by a unique MINOR or second MAJOR.

See the UNIVERSITY BULLETIN or your DEGREE AUDIT to be sure that your AREA or your MAJOR and MINOR are correct.

Do I need a MINOR?

If you have a MAJOR, you must have a MINOR.
A MINOR is an approved program of study of at least 21 semester hours of  designated work that must be completed in conjunction with at least a major to apply toward a degree. Check your DEGREE AUDIT to be sure that your MAJOR and MINOR are correct. 

Which areas and majors are offered at Murray State University?

There are many!  Click HERE to view the A-Z programs of study list.

How do I CHANGE my area, major, minor, or advisor?

You will need to complete the change of major/minor/advisor form and submit it to the Registrar's Office in Sparks Hall.  Your current advisor and your new advisor must sign the form.  You also need to sign the form.

 To EXPLORE your interests further, check out these helpful links:

What is the JOB OUTLOOK for the near future?

Decorative image
Site Directory