Facilities Design and Construction
Facilities Design and Construction provides the following services:
- Design Construction Staking
- Construction Management and Administration
The primary task of Facilities Design and Construction is to assist and support the operations of the Chief Facilities Officer and Director for Facilities Design and Construction and all other Facilities Management groups for the implementation of the following:
- Architectural renovations and additions
- Infrastructure repairs and modifications
- New construction
- Planning, design, cost analysis and feasibility studies for projects
- Construction management and administration on all renovation and new construction projects
- On some projects, mechanical, electrical and structural engineering and other consulting services are procured from outside sources. When services are outsourced Facilities Design and Construction administers and coordinates these contracts and activities.
The Department for Facilities Management has the capability to plan and carry out all renovation requirements for all University facilities. There are several different classes of renovation/reconstruction/capital construction projects. The classes are as follows:
Less than $500 -- does not require a Renovation Request form. Work will be accomplished by in-house work order. Over $500 and less than $10,000 with no significant change in building use -- requires Completion of a Renovation Request form; work will generally be accomplished in-house; Facilities Management can obtain three bids for outsourced services.
Over $500 and Less than $10,000 with significant change in building use -- requires Completion of a Renovation Request form; work will generally be accomplished in-house; Facilities Management can obtain three bids for outsourced services. Over $10,000 and Less than $50,000--requires completion of a Renovation Request form; consulting and construction work will generally be outsourced; Procurement Services administers construction bidding process.
Capital Construction Projects
Any new Construction Projects--require completion of a Capital Construction Project Request form; work will be accomplished in-house and/or outsourced. Any Renovation/Reconstruction Project Over $50,000--requires completion of a Capital Construction Project Request form; consulting and construction work will generally be outsourced; Procurement Services administers construction bidding process.
* * In some cases, a certain amount of planning and estimating will be required to determine the class project. Facilities Design and Construction can help with this.