POLICY NUMBER: VI C
SUBJECT: EMPLOYEE DISCIPLINE
APPLIES TO: STAFF
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 7, 2012
REVISED FROM: July 1, 1993
The following procedures for disciplinary action will be followed:
- An Employee Disciplinary Report (EDR) must be prepared and presented to the employee explaining the offense(s) and notifying the employee of disciplinary action and possible future consequences. A written letter in lieu of the appropriate form may not be used for disciplinary purposes.
The report should be specific as to the offense charged and the factual situation relating to the charge.
- The employee must sign the EDR notice indicating that he/she has been presented with the notice. The employee's signature will not be construed as an agreement with the action taken.
- A copy of the signed, written report will be given to the employee. The original will be forwarded to Human Resources to be filed in the employee's personnel file.
- Upon receipt of the EDR, Human Resources will inform the employee that he/she may request a hearing with his/her supervisor or the next level of supervision to discuss the offense. The employee and supervisor may each have an impartial observer of his/her choice present for the hearing.
- If the employee wishes to proceed past the informal resolution, he/she may file a formal grievance or termination appeal as appropriate.
- Offenses and Disciplinary Action
The following examples of offenses and suggested disciplinary action are not intended to be all inclusive and depending on the specific circumstances may require action different from those listed below.
The gravity of the offense as measured by the nature and extent of the action complained of may be sufficient to cause a first offense to be treated as a second, third, or fourth offense in terms of the penalty imposed.
W - Written Warning
T - Termination
S - Suspension of up to either 3 or 5 days Without Pay
|a.||Deliberate falsification of application||T||-||-||-|
|b.||Theft or destruction of University property||T||-||-||-|
|c.||Immoral or indecent acts on University property||T||-||-||-|
|d.||Overstaying leave of absence, without proper notification directly from the employee except in a emergency||T||-||-||-|
|e.||Unexcused absence of three or more days||T||-||-||-|
|f.||Absence from assigned work resulting from, or in support of, unauthorized work stoppage, illegal picketing, or striking activity directed toward the University*||T||-||-||-|
|g.||Intentional falsifying of University records||5/S||T||-||-|
|h.||Punching time card for another employee or having own card punched by another employee||5/S||T||-||-|
|i.||Drinking alcoholic beverages or using drugs while on duty**||5/S||T||-||-|
|j.||Provoking a fight on University premises||5/S||T||-||-|
|k.||Reporting to work under the influence of alcohol or drugs**||W||5/S||T||-|
|l.||Insubordination, restricting output||W||3/S||T||-|
|m.||Willful violation of University rules, regulations, or policies||W||5/S||T||-|
|n.||Unexcused absenteeism of less than three days||W||3/S||T||-|
|o.||Sleeping on duty||W||5/S||T||-|
|p.||Gambling on University premises||W||5/S||T||-|
|q.||Making false or malicious statements detrimental to the University or to other employees||W||3/S||5/S||T|
|r.||Tardiness - unexcused||W||3/S||5/S||T|
|s.||Neglectful failure to punch own time card or leaving work place without permission||W||3/S||5/S||T|
|t.||Loafing on University time||W||3/S||5/S||T|
|u.||Carelessness affecting personal safety or safety of other employees or neglect and mishandling of equipment||W||3/S||5/S||T|
|v.||Malicious use of profane or abusive language||W||3/S||5/S||T|
*The President is authorized to take whatever action he/she deems prudent and necessary to implement disciplinary action resulting from this offense.
**After the first offense the employee will be referred to the Counseling and Testing Center for counseling.
- Action for Continuation of Offenses
- Offenses requiring disciplinary action will be considered active for a period of one (1) year. Disciplinary action will only be based upon offenses occurring within the last twelve months.
- Any combination of five of the preceding offenses within twelve consecutive months will result in the employee's automatic discharge.
- Record Retention
All written disciplinary reports will be maintained in the employee's personnel file for a minimum of five (5) years from the last offense.