Summer O Staff Details
Our Summer O Staff positions are exceptionally rewarding and highly competitive. Please read the information below to determine if you meet, and will be able to complete all of the requirements to serve on the Summer Orientation Staff.
- Must be an MSU student in good standing (not on any type of academic or disciplinary probation).
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at time of application.
- If selected, must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA throughout your term on staff.
- Must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) at MSU for Spring semester 2017 and Fall Semester 2016.
- Must be in the Murray area, or able to return for each orientation session in Summer 2017.
- Must display professionalism and school spirit.
- Must show a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Must be open to learning and challenging yourself to grow in your leadership capacities.
IDEAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Be open to learning and having new experiences.
- Be an excellent team player and representative of MSU.
- Possess a commitment to multiculturalism.
- Demonstrate passion for orientation programming.
- Possess ideas for improving the transition experience of new students on campus.
- Maintain a high energy level, enthusiasm, and stamina when working long days.
- Be an effective and clear communicator with peers, new students, and parents.
- Be comfortable facilitating small and large group discussions and activities.
- Possess a high level of maturity and an ability to use independent judgment in decision making.
- Desire to make a difference in the lives of peers and new students.
- Demonstrate flexibility, creativity, humor, and dedication.
TIME COMMITMENTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Being a Summer “O” Counselor requires an extreme amount of time and dedication. All members of the Staff are required to participate in the following activities:
- Spring & Summer Retreat: January 27-29, 2017 & April 7-9, 2017
- Summer O Course (Spring semester: Monday & Wednesday – 3:00 -4:30 PM)* (Subject to change)
- Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW): March 10-12, 2017
- Additional summer training as needed
- All Summer Orientation Sessions
- April 21st (Honors)
- April 22nd
- June 1st
- June 3rd
- June 21st
- June 23rd
- July 10th
- August 3rd
- Great Beginnings Activities
SUMMER ORIENTATION STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on at least one Summer Orientation Staff Committees
- Attend all spring and summer training events
- Guide new students through orientation experiences
- Facilitate discussions on campus life, academic expectations, and MSU with new students & parents
- Assist in logistical coordination of orientation operations during the summer months
- Assist with MSU sponsored events when necessary