Education Abroad Advising
We can help you determine how Education Abroad will help you achieve your academic, personal, and professional goals. Come talk to us about narrowing down your program options, navigating the application process, and finding scholarships and funding for your international experience.
New this year! If you have general questions or don't know where to start, come to one of our open advising sessions. These happen every week on Mondays at 3 and Thursdays at 11 in the Waterfield Library Classrooms. No appointment needed - just drop by!
Before your appointment
Narrow your options
- Research available programs on the study abroad website. Your search should take location, time of year, and length of program into consideration, but your focus should remain on the academic fit for your study abroad with the major/minor/area or other degree requirements you have remaining to fulfill for graduation.
- Limit your options to a few programs that interest you and appear to fit your academic and personal requirements. Think about your personal goals for study abroad, such as independence, language fluency, a specific course fulfillment, or heritage-seeking goal. These aspects should also guide your search and help narrow your options.
- Complete this form before coming to your appointment.
- Program questions: How do the programs you have chosen compare with each other academically, logistically, and financially? Are the programs you have chosen group programs or more independent programs and how do those compare? Can a friend participate in the same program?
- Academic questions: How will the program count toward academic requirements for graduation? What specific courses are appealing on one program more so than another program? Is there a specific Faculty member you would like to study abroad with?
- Financial questions: What is provided within the program fees for each program, such as flight, visa expenses, meals, specific excursions, and local transport passes? How will you pay for the program? When will payments be due? Are you eligible for Federal Financial Aid, i.e., Stafford Loans or Pell Grant? Do you have additional scholarship sources that will be able to contribute to the cost of the program? Have you saved from a local job or cut expenses elsewhere to save for the program expenses for your study abroad?
- Additional concerns of yours or of your parents. Bring a list so you don’t forget anything.
- Remember that we may not always have all the answers and that we may have to direct you to someone else on campus, such as the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office or your Academic Advisor.
- It is a good idea to set up appointments with Financial Aid/Scholarships and your Academic Advisor around the same time as your Study Abroad Office advising appointment in order to get all of the information you will need to make a wise selection.
To schedule an appointment during the semesters
- Find your Education Abroad Advisor based on your major
- Select an available appointment slot on his or her calendar below. No appointments are needed during the summer but please email your advisor in advance to make sure they are around.
- Please choose an appointment slot at least 24 hours in advance
- In the "Description" section: fill in your name, year in school, major, and any study abroad programs you are interested in
Meet your Education Abroad Advisors
Advises: Study Abroad Programs for undeclared majors and students in the College of Education & Human Services, the School of Nursing & Health Professions, the Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business; Regensburg and Scotland semester programs, national scholarships
177 Woods Hall
Advises: Students in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, Hutson School of Agriculture, and the Jesse D. Jones College of Science, Engineering, and Technology, and Information Studies minor; third-party provider programs: KIIS, CCSA, CEA, ISA
Schedule an appointment with Robyn:
You must be logged in to your MSU email account to see the calendar below. If you
have class or work conflicts with the available times, email Robyn to request a different
Schedule an appointment with Jamie:
You must be logged in to your MSU email account to see the calendar below. If you have class or work conflicts with the available times, email Jamie to request a different appointment slot.