Tuition Program for Entering Freshmen
First-time freshmen from the 18-county service region may be eligible for the Racer Promise tuition program. The program guarantees that the qualifying student’s tuition (web and course fees excluded) is covered for eight semesters or until the first undergraduate degree is earned, whichever occurs first.
Students who qualify for the Pell Grant, CAP Grant, and KEES Scholarship must meet the below requirements each year. Then, if the sum of the Pell Grant, CAP Grant, and KEES Scholarship does not equal tuition, MSU will supplement the difference with scholarships to make sure the student has enough aid to cover tuition.
- Be a Kentucky resident of Murray State University's (MSU) 18-county service region.
- Enter MSU as a first-time freshmen in the fall semester.*
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by January 31.**
- Receive the Federal Pell Grant.
- Receive the Kentucky CAP Grant.
- Receive the KEES Scholarship.
- Complete the Racer Promise application (each year) in the MSU scholarship system (STARS) by January 15 along with applying for other available scholarships.
- Take a minimum of 15 credit hours per semester.
- Maintain the minimum standards of MSU's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative MSU GPA of 2.5 based on grades earned at MSU.
- Meet all renewal requirements for any MSU scholarship received.
*Applicants will not be disqualified as first-time freshmen if they have credit through advanced placement or dual credit courses or have taken community college courses in the summer between high school graduating and MSU enrollment. Incoming transfer students are not eligible for the program.
**MSU'S Financial Aid Office must receive ALL required verification documents by May 1, which include, but are not limited to: Documents to explain any individual circumstances as requested or required by May 1, including the Dependency Change Request Form, the Special Circumstance Form, and any supporting documentation as required by the MSU Financial Aid Office, and the completed and signed Statement of Income and Expense Form (if requested).