Center for Financial Planning
Do you aspire to be a Certified Financial Planner™?
As a Murray State University student you can become eligible to sit for the CFP™ Certification Examination…before you graduate!
Who needs financial planning? Everyone!
The average American faces an uncertain economy and more options for saving and investing than ever before. It is easy to feel overwhelmed or confused, unless you find a way to understand the big picture. A CFP® professional can bring clarity to one’s finances and help them develop a strategy, so its easier to make financial decisions, set long-term and short-term goals, and stay on track.
There are a few ways to meet the CFP Board education requirements as a Murray State University student.
- You can pursue an area in finance with a financial planning option.
This is probably the most straight-forward approach. Your degree plan will identify each course that is required to graduate from MSU. The six courses necessary to meet the CFP Board education requirements are included in your degree plan.
- You can pursue an area in finance, with no specific option.
You will need to take the five additional courses that the CFP Board requires (as a finance student you will already be required to take one of the courses (FIN 333 Investments). If you carefully plan, you can schedule the other five required courses as your electives.
- You can pursue any major or area in the Bauernfeind College of Business.
You will need to take the six additional courses that the CFP Board requires. If you carefully plan, you can minimize extra coursework by scheduling the required courses as your electives.
- FIN 331 - Insurance and Risk Management
- FIN 333 - Investments
- ACC 302 - Taxation of Persons, Property & Other Entities
- FIN 336 - Retirement & Employee Benefits
- FIN 338 - Estate Tax Planning
- FIN 481 - Capstone Course: Creating and Presenting a Financial Plan
For more information, contact:
Dr. David Durr, CFA, CFP®
Office: 105C, Bauernfeind College of Business