About the HDL Program
Educational Studies, Leadership, and Counseling Department
3201 Alexander Hall
Murray, KY 42071
Master of Science in Human Development and Leadership (HDL) is designed
to meet the needs of a broad spectrum of professionals. Courses focus
on understanding human development and how to apply that knowledge to
leadership in your current or future career setting. You will be
prepared to work in administration, program development and in diverse
career settings. Our students will have the opportunity to refine skills
and understandings in working with other professionals and the
public. This is a 33 hour program. The 21 core course hours provide a
solid foundation of information and skills for anyone with leadership
responsibilities. A concentration area of 12 hours expands the
individuals’ knowledge in a career field based on current and/or future
The 21 hour core
includes courses in leadership, group/team development, human
development, diversity, research, legal/ethical issues, and
interpersonal processes. Each course focuses on application of
information to you and to your leadership role. Concentration areas
International Education Administration
Nonprofit Leadership Studies
An individualized concentration area can be designed to meet student needs (developed with consent of advisor).
HDL Graduates will…
- understand basic precepts of workplace law and ethical decision making and evaluate policy and practice accordingly.
- understand best practices in leading groups, be able to demonstrate the facilitation of effective group processes, and learn strategies for addressing programs in groups.
- understand the progression of needs of clients in different places in life and know best practices of responding to those needs.
- understand the basic precepts for organizational research, be able to conduct and interpret such projects and be informed consumers of research.
- understand personal leadership strengths and tendencies and be able to adapt accepted leadership practices to personal practice
- understand the role and importance of diversity both personally and professionally.
For more information on this graduate program, click on the program sheet below (2012-2013 Academic Bulletin) Please watch the HDL information video at HDL Orientation Video: