Discover Panama Program for Educators
Discover Panama Study Abroad Program for Educators
Dates: June 20 - 27, 2015
Deadline to apply: January 30, 2015
- It is the only country in the world where you can see the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean and set over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Panama City is the only capital city that has a rain forest within its city limits.
- Panama is the southern-most country in Central America and is rich in cultural and geographic diversity. It is bordered by Columbia and Costa Rica.
- Panama’s school year runs April - December.
- The U.S. and Panama have had a diplomatic relationship for more than 100 years.
Tentative Program Costs: $1,800.00
Includes round-trip airfare, in country transportation, hotel (double occupancy), daily breakfast, and lunch at the Panama Canal. Other meals are not included in the program fee.
What will I experience?
The Discover Panama Program will provide a rich cultural and educational experience for classroom teachers. You will enhance your knowledge of teaching by interacting with teachers from a private school, a public school, and a rural school in Panama. You will also have time to visit the Panama Canal, tour historic Panama City, and see beautiful rain forests and beaches!
Course Credit (optional)
- Participants may enroll in EDU 670: Expanding International Horizons through International Travel (3 credit hours) at no additional cost. Tentative course requirements include the following:
- Attending pre-departure meetings.
- Completing required readings about education in Panama.
- Teaching at least one lesson to students at Oxford International School.
- Participating in a panel discussion with teachers at Oxford International School.
- Meeting with teachers and administrators at a public school in Panama City and observing instruction at the school. Observing instruction at a rural school.
- Writing a reflective paper comparing/contrasting education in Panama with education in the United States. Preparing and delivering a presentation to College of Education faculty, staff, and students.
Click here to apply. All participants will be expected to attend pre-departure meetings and be fully engaged in all activities while in Panama. Meetings may be conducted via web for participants who cannot attend on campus sessions.