Giving Back Endowment
Patricia and Bob Long created the Giving Back programs in 2008 to serve as a resource to advance the understanding, appreciation, and application of the principles of altruism, generosity, caring, and service to others among Murray State University students and faculty and across the Murray/Calloway County community. Since its inception, the programs have distributed more than $100,000 to community-based organizations.
Due to the impact and success of the programs, Patricia and Bob decided to establish the Giving Back Endowment with the Murray State University Foundation in order to:
- Grow the programs of study in community and nonprofit leadership
- Increase the application of service learning teaching methodology
- Find new and effective outreach strategies to support community-based organizations and initiatives
- Foster the strong history of community leadership development and service learning at Murray State University
The central goal is to provide students with innovative educational experiences that help prepare them to be active citizens of the world.
The Giving Back Endowment will provide resources in perpetuity to support two initiatives in equal portions:
- The Student Engagement Initiative supports giving “students the authority over the distribution of money” as part of a comprehensive approach that addresses the Giving Back Endowment principles and goal. The Initiative is operated through a core philanthropy course in the Nonprofit Leadership Studies program.
- The Faculty Innovation Initiative provides one-time seed funds for faculty to develop innovative approaches that connect students to real-life community contexts where they can apply the principles of giving. Each year, an application process will occur for this Initiative. Faculty interested in applying should contact:
Founding Members & Donors
AGC of Western Kentucky (Chris Nelson)
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority - Zeta Zeta Chapter
Battle Creek Community Foundation
Calloway County 4-H Club Leaders Council
S G Carthell
Gary Claudine Keenan
Community Foundation of West Kentucky
Pali De Silva
Charles Anthony Dean II
Harold T Hurt Attorney at Law (Kimberly Griffith)
Humane Society of Calloway County (Kathy Hodge)
Herbert & Jennifer King
Murray Art Guild
Michael & Julia Muscarella
National Panhellenic Council
Meher Shilpa Nelakanti
Neneh Sigga Njie
Peel & Holland, Inc.
Keith & Joan Travis
W K Kellogg Foundation (Cherie Clements)
E Miles Wilson
To make a donation in support of this endowment, contact Melanie Brooks at 270-809-3026 or click here to visit our secure online giving site. When making your online gift choose "Other Program" and list the "Giving Back Endowment" in the designation description.
Director of Development