Teacher Education Program
The Teacher Ed Orientation on November 17, 2015 will be held in Alexander Hall Room 1003 from 3-5pm. Seating is limited. Please click here to register. Thank you.
Welcome to Teacher Education
To be admitted to the Teacher Education Program at MSU students are required to pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators (CASE) (16 KAR 5:020) and attend an admission to Teacher Education Orientation. The current test subjects and their passing score are as follows; Mathematics-150; Reading-156, and Writing-162.Teacher Education Orientations are offered several times each semester for students who have not taken EDU 103 at MSU or students who received an orientation in EDU 103 and did not follow through with the application process. Transfer students need to attend a Teacher Ed Orientation as soon as possible after enrolling at MSU. If you need to schedule to take/retake the CASE please refer to the ETS website at www.ets.org. When registering to take the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators (CASE) please remember to use the correct test code; Murray State University Test Code is R1494 and MSU Test Center Code is 03058. If a Praxis test is taken outside of Kentucky then EPSB must be listed as a score recipient. EPSB test code is R7283. Students be advised that Teacher Certification requirements are subject to change. Before registering for the test(s) please refer to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) website for current requirements. Click the following link to view current requirements; KYEPSB. You may contact EPSB at 502-564-4606 or 888-598-7667 to obtain current requirements.
1. Have earned an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale at the point of admission.
In conjunction with attending a Teacher Education Orientation students must meet the following requirements:
(1) ENG 101, 102, 104 or 105 with a “B” or higher,
(2) MAT 117 (or higher level math) with a “B” or higher,
(3) COM 161 or HON 165 with a “B” or higher,
(4) EDU 103 with a “B” or higher (or AED 380 or EDU 104
or CTE 200 or MUS 123 or ELE 605 [graduate students] or CDI 480 [CDI graduate students only]
2. An interview with major academic advisor or chair.
3. Complete a review of the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel and a Declaration of Eligibility (Click Here for Declaration) signed by the candidate affirming a commitment to upholding the code and acknowledging awareness of information required for state certification. If answers given on the Declaration of Eligibility change during the time of participation in the teacher education program, the Director of Teacher Education Services must be notified immediately.
4. Have supplied TES with any other required information.
When all the above requirements have been met, the formal application can be submitted, accompanied by all required documentation. This includes an official score report for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) requirement and a transcript showing all college work to date. Admission will only be granted following a successful review by the Admission to Teacher Education Committee of your college. NOTE: Students who have not been admitted to Teacher Education will not be eligible to enroll in upper level courses that specify admission to teacher education is a prerequisite.