There are 68,000 square feet of lecture, studio and lab space affording a unique opportunity for student studio workspaces open 24 hours a day.
Four galleries exhibit artworks of students, faculty and
professionals in art.
Degrees and Courses Offered
Three bachelor degrees with majors in Studio Art or Art Education are offered: Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA); Bachelor of Science (BS); Bachelor of Arts (BA);
Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Studio Art with Enhanced Art
Minors are offered in studio art and art history.
Courses are taught in the following areas: art appreciation, art education, art history, ceramics, drawing, wood, graphic design, jewelry & metalsmithing, painting,
photography, printmaking, and sculpture.
Opportunities for a Murray State Art & Design Student
• Full-time faculty members offering individual
• Access to studios open evenings and weekends
• Exhibit artworks in galleries
• Membership in the Organization of Murray Art Students, the Kentucky Art Education Association, and Ads Club
• Study abroad earning college credit
• Pre-professional experiences prior to graduation:
• achieve distinction in regional and national shows
• present art workshops
• receive professional training through the university work study program
• graphic design internships at regional design and ad agencies or the University’s
• work with the student newspaper, the yearbook, WKMS-FM, or as a resident advisor or summer counselor
• Each student finds sound guidance, numerous
resources and the individual attention necessary to develop professional careers in art and design.
Careers in Art and Design
Students who earn degrees in art may go on to the
Teacher • Professional Artist • Graphic Design • Architect • Design Careers • Gallery Professional • Museum Professional • Commercial Photographer • Arts Administration • Independent Curator • Art Therapist • Illustration