Past & Current Research-Writing Project:
-Ph.D. dissertation on the Nineteenth-Century French Army as a means of social mobility. A quatitative study of sous-officiers (NCO’s) who used the French Army to gain an education and rise above the social class they were born in to. Eight published peer-reviewed articles and nine professional conference papers came out of this dissertation.
-In 1983 I began research on the French Gendarmerie of the nineteenth century. This long-term project will eventuate in two, and possibly, three, books on the gendarmes of the last century. With quantitative data on 1,044 gendarmes from the police archives at Vincennes I envision a book on the politics of the gendarmes from 1830 to 1871 and a general survey and comparison book of the typical gendarme 1815 to 1914. I have six chapters finished on the first police book and it will be called The Politics of the French Police: The Gendarmes During the Revolutionary Era, 1830-1871.
-In 1995 I began writing a book on European nineteenth century art history. Greenwood Press contracted me to complete this book by 1999. This book was published in April 1999 as Nineteenth-Century European Art: A Topical Dictionary (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1999). During these years I suspended work on the national police of France.
- Modern France: 1789 to the present
- Europe's Great Age: 1789 to 1914
- Europe Since 1914
- Europe Since 1945
- Research Seminar in European Social History, 1789 to the present
- Readings Seminar: Historiography
- Readings Seminar in Modern European History, 1789 to the present
- The Family in History
- Historical Methods
- The U.S. Since 1941
- Community Oral History
- Western Civilization, Ancient Times to 1500 & 1500 to the present
- World Civilization, Prehistory to 1500 & 1500 to the present
- Survey Modern Europe, 1500 to the present
- Europe During WWI & WWII
- European Revolutions, 1789-1917
- French Revolution & Napoleon
- World Civilization 202 Webcourse