Links to further career information in mathematics and statistics
Career services at Murray State University
Career information on the website of the American Mathematical Society
The American Mathematical Society maintains a Mathematical Moments page which "promotes appreciation and understanding of the role mathematics plays in science, nature, technology and human culture." The AMS also provide a Undergraduate Mathematics Majors page.
The Mathematical Association of America, maintains pages on Careers and Career Profiles of nonacademic mathematical scientists. "The authors of these essays describe a wide variety of careers for which a backgound in the mathematical sciences is useful. They provide practical answers to the question: Why should I study math?"
- Careers in Applied Mathematics Guide;
- Careers in Applied Mathematics Booklet that details career paths outside academia for anyone majoring in applied mathematics or computational science;
- Mathematics in Industry Report report that looks at the way mathematical sciences are used in industry today, along with assessing the skills, training and curriculum that will best prepare graduates for future mathematical careers;
- General articles related to careers in the Mathematical Sciences;
- Profiles of Professional Mathematicians and Computational Scientists.
Career information at sites of government organizations
The National Security Agency is one of the largest employers of mathematicians outside academia. NSA has a Careers web site which describes their College Student Cooperative Education Program and Summer Programs. NSA has career paths in Cryptanalysis, Intelligence Analysis, Mathematics, Signal Analysis, and other fields. The Director's Summer Program is the National Security Agency's premier outreach effort to the very best undergraduate mathematics majors in the country. The students participating in the cryptologic mathematics program will work on a broad range of problems involving applications of abstract algebra, geometry, number theory, combinatorics, graph theory, probability, statistics and analysis.
Career information at sites of companies
Allstate has an Actuarial Careers page.
Careers in Academia
The American Mathematical Society has a Career Information page that focuses on academic careers. This web site contains Advice for New Ph.D.'s, as well as Employment Services for Ph.D. mathematicians. The Mathematical Sciences Employment Center is run by the AMS and other Societies each January at the Joint Mathematics Meetings. It is a way for employers and PhD-level mathematicians to have short interviews.
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics maintains a Jobs Online "Web site service that provides a timely link between mathematics education professionals seeking new positions and educational institutions with vacancies."
Current Jobs for Graduates - www.graduatejobs.com
- Government Jobs - www.govtjobs.org
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics - www.imstat.org
- Job Hunt Organizations - www.job-hunt.org
- Jobs in Mathematics - www.math-jobs.com/us
- USA Jobs - www.usajobs.gov
- MathJobs.org - www.mathjobs.org/jobs
- SIAM - www.siam.org
Advice for moving forward
- Academic Careers Online provides information about career opportunities in education and academia.
- D. W. Simpson & Company is a firm devoted strictly to job searches in the actuarial profession.
- The PhDs.org web site contains science, math, and engineering career resources.
- Head Hunter has Quick and Advanced Job Search features.
- After College is a service created by students for students.
- Monster College is a job network for college students and recent grads.
- Michigan State's career exploration site.
- Westview College's attempt to provide a similar overview.
- Duke University's "Why Math" page.
- ToroidalSnark has a lot of interesting information on learning, teaching, writing, going to graduate school etc.
This information was built largely from the following resources:
- The Career Cornerstone Center
- The career page of the Kansas State University Department of Mathematics