Poster Competition 2016
Sigma Xi poster session and competition will be held on April 18, 2016 (during Scholars Week) in the Curris Center Ballroom.
Poster Set-Up: From 9:00 a.m. -12:00 noon
Poster Exhibition/Judging: From 12:00 noon – 2:00 p.m.
Poster Competition Coordinator - Dr. Maeve McCarthy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please contact Dr. McCarthy, if you have questions regarding the poster competition.
Sigma XI Poster Competition Registration:
Registration Deadline - April 1st, 2016.
Registration is now available via Murray State's Digital Commons.
Applicants will need to create a new account on Murray State's Digital Commons in order to register for this
- First, you need to Sign up to create an account. Then, activate your account by following the link sent to the email used to create the account.
- Now, Login using the e-mail address and password you created for the Murray State Digital Commons
Remember to select Sigma Xi in the "Affiliations" section of the registration form.
Poster Size - Your poster should be no larger than 4'x4' (48"x48"). A 4’x4’ foam board. An easel will be provided for displaying your poster.
Tips for Preparing Posters:
- Your poster should be easily read from 3 to 4 feet, a distance that requires a character height of at least 3/8 inch.
- In addition, each figure should have a large heading (1/2" or 36 point) that clearly identifies the “point” of the figure.
- Any detailed information concerning the figure can be provided in a legend and at a smaller (but still legible) font.
- Remember, a casual viewer of your poster should be able to understand the poster without having to read the legend; the legend is strictly for those people who want to gain more detailed information about the figure.
- Tables should follow the same general layout as figures.
The following websites also provide useful tips for poster preparation:
- Hess, G. (2012). 60-Second Poster Evaluation.
- Newbrey, M.G. & Baltezore, J.M. (2006). Poster presentations: Conceptualizing, constructing & critiquing; The American Biology Teacher, 68(9):550-554.
- Newbrey, M.G. & Baltezore, J.M. (2005). Procedure To Construct Professional Quality Posters.