Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society
Alpha Sigma Lambda is a national honor society for adults in continuing higher education. The society was founded in 1945 and has nearly 300 institutional chapters. The MSU chapter, Eta Delta, was organized in 1989.
Qualifications for membership
- Must have had a break of at least 2 years between high school and college
- Must be admitted to Murray State and have a minimum of 24 semester hours taken and graded at MSU
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 3.4
- Must have at least twelve hours in Liberal Arts/Science; in other words, these twelve hours must be outside the major and in University Studies courses. Transfer courses may be used to fulfill this requirement, but applied arts and science courses may not be used to meet this requirement.
- Members shall be selected from the highest ten percent of those who apply.
The application process takes place during the fall semester. For more information, please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions about Alpha Sigma Lambda
- What is meant by “break between high school and college?” If you have been out of high school for two years or more, you have met this requirement.
- If I join Alpha Sigma Lambda, will I have to participate in activities? No. Our chapter is strictly an honorary organization. We do not have meetings, fund raisers, or other activities. Previous members have said they do not have time for additional responsibilities.
- Do I have to attend the initiation ceremony in order to belong? We would like you to come and bring your family; however attendance is not required to join.
- I already have my bachelor’s degree. May I still join? No. Alpha Sigma Lambda is strictly an organization for undergraduates.
- What are the advantages of joining? Most students join so they can list the organization on their resume. Others appreciate the official recognition of their hard work and achievement.