Skip Navigation LinksAdmissions > Bursar's Office > How do I correct my tax information

How do I correct my NAME, Social Security number, or ITIN?

Undergraduate | Graduate | Doctoral

Correcting information on Murray State's records -and -or on your 1098-T and 1098-E:

You may request a correction of your Social Security Number or ITIN, by downloading the W-9S form from the IRS website and then submitting it to the Registrar's Office (in-person in Sparks Hall, or by mail).

Office of the Registrar
Murray State University
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY 42071

You may request a correction of your name by contacting the Office of Academic Records and Registrar, (the form can be found here). The request must be accompanied by a court order, valid driver's license, certificate of naturalization, certificate of marriage, or by some other form of positive identification. A photo I.D. must also be presented, A change of name will be processed only for students who have an active academic record and are currently pursuing a degree program. At the time of graduation or program abandonment, academic records are closed and no further changes in the record may occur. The name on the record at that time becomes the permanent name of record. Permanent names of record on closed academic records are not changed as the result of divorce decrees, marriage certificates or court order name changes.



Once you provide the Office of the Registrar with the W-9S form, no further action is required on your part. We monitor records of all students with forms in the current reporting period and will correct your 1098-T after your SSN/ITIN has been recorded on your Murray State student record. Murray State will notify students when changes have been made. Please allow up to ten business days for the correction to be made.

Note: SSN/ITIN corrections can only be made on forms for the current reporting period. Forms for 2011 and earlier cannot be changed. March 22, 2013 is the last business day of the reporting period for 2012. After this date, SSN changes given to the Registrar will not be updated on 2012 forms.


If you have student loans and the University is your lender, please contact ECSI for assistance


Decorative image
Site Directory