First Year Leader application
The application process for First Year Leader is now open
What Is a First Year Leader (FYL)?
A First Year Leader (FYL) is one of the very first people who will make an impression on new students and their families. The FYL will aid new students with (1) transition into Murray State University, (2) adjustment to college life, (3) navigation of campus and campus life, and (4) guidance on how to be a successful Murray State student. The FYL serves as a positive and engaging representative of his/her Residential College and Murray State University while maintaining confidentiality and trust of the new students.
Please attend one of the information sessions to find out more about being a First Year Leader. Attendance at one of these sessions is highly encouraged.
Clark College at 8:25 PM
Elizabeth College at 8:45 PM
Hester College at 9:30 PM
Regents College at 8:00 PM
Springer at 9:30 PM
Richmond at 9:15 PM
Franklin College, Hart College, White College
- In order to apply, you must have a 2.3 cumulative GPA (including transfer hours) and be in good academic standing. Each FYL must also have at least a 2.3 cumulative GPA at the end of the 2014 spring semester.
- Must have completed 24 hours by the end of the spring 2014 semester.
- Must be returning to MSU in the fall of 2014 as an undergraduate student.
- Sincere desire to serve MSU's new students.
- Strong love for and loyalty to MSU.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good sense of humor balanced by a sense of responsibility.
- Willing to accept a challenge & to step out of comfort zone.
- Strong internal motivation to succeed personally and in all MSU/Residential College activities.
- Recognize that being an FYL is a serious and rewarding summer and fall commitment.
- Desire to achieve excellence.
- Participate in all training sessions. Dates, times, and locations provided below.
- Participate in meetings with your College Head. Times and places TBA.
- Serve as a positive role model for all students.
- Make necessary housing arrangements to ensure you are in Murray and ready for FYL training on August 13, 2014.
- Read and respond (as necessary) to communications sent to you regarding your FYL responsibilities and/or the FYL program.
- Contact your assigned students and begin developing relationships with them.
- Serve as a role model for all students.
- Serve as a leader and active participant in as many Great Beginnings activities as possible – some events will be mandatory for FYLs.
- Facilitate and lead small group discussions with group members, encourage group interactions among participants, and provide necessary information to aid in transition to MSU.
- Maintain communication with your group throughout the fall of 2014.
- Attend and participate in all GUI course meetings/events (meeting times/locations TBD).
- Recruit the 2015 FYLs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Benefits to FYLs
- Significant leadership training and experience.
- Opportunity to develop professional and personal relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Academic credit (2 hours) for completion of GUI course.
- Free FYL and Residential College T-shirts.
- Opportunity to represent your Residential College to new member of the MSU family.
- Opportunity to share your love of Murray State University.
All interested, qualified students should complete the application by the deadline of Wednesday, April 16, 2014. Applications are available only on-line and will only be accepted on-line (www.murraystate.edu/fyl).
Interview Attire & Expectations
Interviews: Business Casual, skirts and slacks (no ties)
You are asked to bring an object symbolic of your MSU experience. The object can be anything you like, but we ask that you do not wear any costumes. Be prepared to explain your object in 30-60 seconds.
Mandatory Dates in 2014
Before submitting your application, please check your calendars to ensure you do not have any date conflicts. In certain situations specific dates and duties are subject to change.
Wednesday, August 13 – Friday, August 15. Location TBD
Saturday, August 18. Report to your Residential College at time determined by your College Head
Saturday, August 16 – Monday, August 18. Times and locations TBD.
Once classes begin on Tuesday, August 19, your primary responsibility is to go to class. Any Great Beginnings activities following August 20 will have to worked around your academic priorities.
One section of GUI 251 will be offered in the Fall 2014 semester. This course will be offered on TR, 1:00 – 2:50 as a 1st half semester course. GUI 251 is a PASS/FAIL course. Enrollment into the course will be require instructor approval.
Three sections of GUI 252 will be offered in the Fall 2014 semester. This course will be offered MW, 3:00 – 4:50; and two sections on TR 3:00 – 4:50. GUI 252 is a 2 HOUR LETTER GRADE course. Enrollment into the course will require instructor approval.
You MUST enroll in one of the courses. We have made dramatic changes to the sections this year to better reflect our goals with the First Year Leader program. In order to offer the course as a first half semester we are required to schedule 4 hours of class. However, the biggest part of those hours will be spent mentoring your first year students, not in the classroom.