First Year Leader application
The application process for First Year Leader is now closed.
What Is a First Year Leader (FYL)?
A First Year Leader (FYL) is one of the very first people who will make an impression on new students and their families. The FYL will aid new students with (1) transition into Murray State University, (2) adjustment to college life, (3) navigation of campus and campus life, and (4) guidance on how to be a successful Murray State student. The FYL serves as a positive and engaging representative of his/her Residential College and Murray State University while maintaining confidentiality and trust of the new students.
Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. in Curris Center Theatre
Monday, February 25 at 8:00 p.m. in Curris Center Barkley Room
Please attend one of the information sessions to find out more about being a First Year Leader. Attendance at one of these sessions is highly encouraged because general interview etiquette, the FYL interview process, sample questions, and more job-specific details will be discussed.
- In order to apply, you must have a 2.3 cumulative GPA (including transfer hours) and be in good academic standing. Each FYL must also have at least a 2.3 cumulative GPA at the end of the 2013 spring semester.
- Must have completed 24 hours by the end of the spring 2013 semester.
- Must be returning to MSU in the fall of 2013 as an undergraduate student.
- Sincere desire to serve MSU's new students.
- Strong love for and loyalty to MSU.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good sense of humor balanced by a sense of responsibility.
- Willing to accept a challenge & to step out of comfort zone.
- Strong internal motivation to succeed personally and in all MSU/Residential College activities.
- Recognize that being an FYL is a serious and rewarding summer and fall commitment.
- Desire to achieve excellence.
- Attend and participate in all training sessions. Dates, times, and locations provided below.
- Attend and participate in meetings with your College Head. Times and places TBA.
- Serve as a positive role model for all students.
- Make necessary housing arrangements to ensure you are in Murray and ready for FYL training on August 14, 2013.
- Read and respond (as necessary) to communications sent to you regarding your FYL responsibilities and/or the FYL program.
- Contact your assigned students and begin developing relationships with them.
- Serve as a role model for all students.
- Serve as a leader and active participant in as many Racer Week activities as possible – some events will be mandatory for FYLs.
- Facilitate and lead small group discussions with group members, encourage group interactions among participants, and provide necessary information to aid in transition to MSU.
- Maintain communication with your group throughout the fall of 2013.
- Attend and participate in all GUI course meetings/events (meeting times/locations TBD).
- Recruit the 2014 FYLs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Benefits to FYLs
- Significant leadership training and experience.
- Opportunity to develop professional and personal relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Academic credit (2 hours) for completion of GUI course.
- Free FYL and Residential College T-shirts.
- Opportunity to represent your Residential College to new member of the MSU family.
- Opportunity to share your love of Murray State University.
All interested, qualified students should complete the application by the deadline of Friday, March 1, 2013. Applications are available only on-line and will only be accepted on-line (www.murraystate.edu/fyl).
Interview Attire & Expectations
Interviews: Business Casual, skirts and slacks (no ties)
For examples of interview attire, see pg. 33 of the MSU Career Handbook
You are asked to bring an object symbolic of your MSU experience. The object can be anything you like, but we ask that you do not wear any costumes. Be prepared to explain your object in 30-60 seconds.
Mandatory Dates in 2013
Before submitting your application, please check your calendars to ensure you do not have any date conflicts. In certain situations specific dates and duties are subject to change.
Spring FYL Social
Postponed until further notice
Wednesday, August 14 – Friday, August 16. Location TBD
Saturday, August 17. Report to your Residential College at time determined by your College Head
Saturday, August 17 – Monday, August 19. Times and locations TBD.
Once classes begin on Tuesday, August 20, your primary responsibility is to go to class. Any Racer Week activities following August 20 will have to worked around your academic priorities.
GUI 251 Class
Two sections of GUI 251 will be offered in the Fall 2013 semester, and they are both on Thursdays. One section will start at 4:00 pm and the other section will start at 5:00. You MUST enroll in one of these sections. Even if you have been an FYL in the past, you are still required to enroll in one of these two GUI 251 sections for the Fall of 2013. Enrollment into course will require instructor approval.