Human Development and Leadership
Deadlines for submitting Graduate Degree Applications and Application for Comprehensive Exams are as follows:
To receive your degree in: Deadline for applying is:
May 2013…………………………February 15, 2013
August 2013………………………June 14, 2013
December 2013………………….September 13, 2013
The online degree application is now available through myGate. Click on the Apply to Graduate link in the "Student Links" channel on your Academics tab to complete the online application. You will pay the $30 degree fee as a part of this on-line process.
OR, you can find the printable forms on the MSU website at: http://www.murraystate.edu/students/graduate/forms. The Application for Degree has a $30 fee. If you submit the application by mail, you must also send a check or money order made payable to MSU along with the degree application form.
There is no fee for the Comprehensive Exam Application. Exact dates you can take your comprehensive exams are established by the academic colleges and/or departments. Since we don’t actually use a paper form any longer, you just enter your info for the appropriate term. Same link as above.
Just click on “Comprehensive Examination Application form” to expand, select the term you wish to take the exam, and enter your info! After the deadline passes, the information is sent to the academic departments for contacting the students.
Human Development and Leadership Program Coordinator
Dr. Lee Kem
Educational Studies, Leadership, and Counseling Department
3206 Alexander Hall
Murray, KY 42071
The Master of Science in Human Development and Leadership (HDL) is designed to meet the needs of a broad spectrum of professionals. Courses focus on understanding human development and how to apply that knowledge to leadership in your current or future career setting. You will be prepared to work in administration, program development and in diverse career settings. Our students will have the opportunity to refine skills and understandings in working with other professionals and the public. This is a 33 hour program. The 21 core course hours provide a solid foundation of information and skills for anyone with leadership responsibilities. A concentration area of 12 hours expands the individuals’ knowledge in a career field based on current and/or future career goals.
The 21 hour core includes courses in leadership, group/team development, human development, diversity, research, legal/ethical issues, and interpersonal processes. Each course focuses on application of information to you and to your leadership role. Concentration areas include:
- College Student Personnel
- International Education Administration
- Intercultural Communication
- Public Administration
- Youth & Non-profit Organizations
An individualized concentration area can be designed to meet student needs (developed with consent of advisor).
HDL APPLICATION PROCESS
1. Apply for admission to Murray State University at Graduate Admissions
2. Submit the departmental HDL letter of application by email to email@example.com or mail to:
3201 Alexander Hall
Murray State University
Murray, KY 42071
Please click on the following link for information on the HDL Letter of Application
REQUIREMENTS TO CHANGE YOUR MAJOR TO HDL
TO CHANGE YOUR MAJOR TO the HDL master's program:
1. Contact the graduate admission office and submit a change of program form
2. Submit a letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information in essay format:
a. Reasons for changing your major to HDL
b. Discuss your career goals and how the HDL master's program will help you achieve career/life goals
c. Reasons why you think you will be successful in the HDL graduate program of study
HDL Graduates will…
• understand basic precepts of workplace law and ethical decision making and evaluate policy and practice accordingly.
• understand best practices in leading groups, be able to demonstrate the facilitation of effective group processes, and learn strategies for addressing programs in groups.
• understand the progression of needs of clients in different places in life and know best practices of responding to those needs.
• understand the basic precepts for organizational research, be able to conduct and interpret such projects and be informed consumers of research.
• understand personal leadership strengths and tendencies and be able to adapt accepted leadership practices to personal practice.
• understand the role and importance of diversity both personally and professionally.
For more information on this graduate program, click on the program sheet below (2010-2012 Graduate Catalog) Please watch the HDL information video at HDL Orientation Video:
The following Planned Program Form will need to be completed within the first six months of the program:
HDL Planned Program Form
Essential Elements of Information
Comprehensive Exam Study Guide
HDL Comprehensive Exam Rubric
To review the Textbooks and Resources for the HDL courses, please go to the following link:
Text(s) and Resources
To review the common syllabus from each class, please go to the following link:
For additional information, read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you have additional questions, please contact Dr. Lee Kem at email@example.com or call 270-809-2797.
Frequently Asked Questions- FAQs
APA Resources- APA style and Writing resources
What I Wish I had Known