Declaring or Changing an Area or Major

When do I have to declare a major?

Students must declare a major or area program of study by the time they earn 45 semester hours of credit.   An undergraduate student who has a major program (as opposed to an area) must also declare a second major or a minor by the time they earn 60 semester hours of credit. Students may change their majors and areas after their initial declarations but need to be sure to discuss their course history with their prospective departments.  These are new policies and go into effect for all students with the start of the 2013-14 academic year.

How do I declare or change my area or major?

Students may apply for a change of area, major, advisor or degree objective by filling out an undergraduate change of major/advisor form, which may also be obtained from any department.

  • You will need your M#
  • Signature of your current advisor
  • Signature of new advisor, which will be assigned by the department
  • Form must be sent to Ashley Rogers (located on 1st Floor of Sparks Hall) in the Registrar’s office.