Declaring or Changing an Area or Major

 When do I have to declare a major?

Students must declare a major or area by the time they earn 45 credit hours.   An undergraduate student who has a major (as opposed to an area) must also declare a second major or a minor by the time they earn 60 credit hours. 

How do I declare or change my area or major?

Students may apply for a change of area, major, and/or minor by completing this FORM. A student should take the form to a) his or her current advisor, department chair, or program coordinator for the completion of the "Change From" section of the form; b) the new program's department chair or program coordinator for completion of the "Change To" section of the form; c) the Registrar's Office in Sparks Hall for the processing of the change. 

How do I get an Academic Advisor in my new department?

An Academic Advisor will be assigned to you when you declare your new area or major. Your Academic Advisor's name is found on your myGate Academics tab.;

How do I change my Academic Advisor?

See your department chair or program coordinator.  If this is not possible, see your Dean or contact the Coordinator of Academic Advising for help.

Can I change my minor?

Yes. You can change your minor when you change your major, OR you can go to the Registrar's Office and fill out a form to change your minor without any signature but your own

Do I have a minor Academic Advisor

Yes. Every minor has a designated Academic Advisor. Check with the department chair or department administrative assistant to find the minor Academic Advisor.

RACR What-If: On RACR, use the What-If feature (on left of screen) to view your academic program with a change of degree, area, major, minor, concentration/field, Bulletin year.