Recruitment, Selection and Employment
POLICY NUMBER: II D
SUBJECT: RECRUITMENT, SELECTION, AND EMPLOYMENT
APPLIES TO: STAFF
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 1993
REVISED FROM: February 17, 1990
RECRUITMENT, SELECTION, AND EMPLOYMENT
It is the policy of Murray State University to recruit, select, and employ qualified people and remain in compliance with the University Affirmative Action Plan.
All regular staff employment is coordinated through either Human Resources or the IDEA (Institutional Diversity Equity and Access). Human Resources or the Office of Equal Opportunity will recruit and refer qualified applicants to the appropriate department for interviews with the hiring supervisor. The fact that Human Resources or the Office of IDEA (Institutional Diversity Equity and Access) has the primary responsibility does not exclude either of these offices from performing such incidental functions that are appropriate according to established policy.
Specific information concerning the recruitment, selection, and employment follows:
- Registering a Budgeted Staff Position When a Vacancy Occurs.
- A regular staff position vacancy may be filled by completing one of the following
two forms and obtaining the approval required for Personnel Action Forms:
- Position Advertisement Request Form - This form is to be used for executive, administrative, or managerial positions (Equal Employment Opportunity, EEO category 1) or other salaried professional staff (EEO category 3 - 7).
- Request to Fill Position Vacancy Form Number 2 - This form is to be used for hourly clerical (EEO category 4), technical and paraprofessional (EEO category 5), skilled trades (EEO category 6), or service/maintenance (EEO category 7).
- A regular staff position vacancy may be filled by completing one of the following two forms and obtaining the approval required for Personnel Action Forms:
- Registering a New Regular Staff Position.
- New staff positions which have been listed in the Fiscal Year Personnel Roster must be registered in compliance with the current Affirmative Action Plan, and Section One (l) of this policy.
- Positions which are not listed in the current operating budget must be requested in writing with complete justification for the position through the appropriate organizational channels for approval by the President. Upon approval of the new position, the position must be registered in accordance with Section One (1) of this Policy and Procedure (Number II D) and in compliance with the current Affirmative Action Plan.
- Recruitment of Regular Staff Employees.
- To insure compliance with the University Affirmative Action Plan, position vacancies will be advertised in the University Weekly Job Openings Report Listing which is distributed throughout the recruiting area.
- Human Resources will prepare a Weekly Job Openings Report and post it on designated bulletin boards across campus to assure University employees the opportunity to apply for a promotion or transfer.
- The University will advertise in newspapers and magazines for position vacancies when deemed necessary by the Director of Human Resources or the Director of Equal Opportunity. Advertising will be in compliance with the Affirmative Action Plan, May l985.
- The University may use the services provided by the local Kentucky Department of Employment Services for assistance in accepting applications, initial interviewing and referral of selected positions for either a limited or continuing basis. The determination for using this service will be based upon recruitment needs and volume of applications for positions. For positions referred to the Kentucky Department of Employment Services, an applicant must apply at that office.
- Exceptions to this policy may be found in the Promotions and Transfers section of this manual.
- Hiring a Regular Staff Employee.
- All regular staff employment is coordinated through either Human Resources or the Office of Equal Opportunity. Human Resources or the Office of Equal Opportunity will refer qualified applicants to the appropriate department for interviews with the hiring supervisor.
- No commitment concerning employment or salary can be made prior to approval by Human Resources for hourly staff positions or the Office of Equal Opportunity for faculty or professional staff positions.
- Applicants for hourly staff positions in EEO categories four through seven must have a completed application on file in Human Resources before employment may be finalized.
- Recruitment and Hiring of Temporary Staff.
- Temporary staff may be hired without advertising and/or posting with the approval of Human Resources. If a temporary staff position is not advertised and/or posted and is later approved to be a regular position, it must be advertised and/or posted prior to filling on a permanent basis.