Become a Summer O counselor
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the 2019 Summer O Staff. Summer O Counselors work together to help orient new students to campus, represent the University at important functions both locally and nationally, and develop their own leadership capacities. Summer O Counselors often become leaders in other areas of campus, in areas ranging from SGA to academic and honors programs.
How will the Student Orientation Staff benefit me as a student at Murray State?
Making connections throughout the University is critical for your success as a student. As a Summer O Counselor, you will have the opportunity to make and enhance connections with faculty, staff, and a variety of students from the Murray State community. In addition, you benefit from learning detailed information about University services and programs. Finally, you will be participating in an intense leadership learning experience. If selected, your time on staff will ask you to develop and strengthen your understanding of leadership, and you will be seen and treated as one of the pre-eminent student leaders on our campus.
How will the Summer O Counselor Experience benefit me after graduation?
The Summer O Counselor experience will be intentionally designed to enhance your leadership skills and abilities. Counselors will develop skills in group problem solving, conflict resolution, interpersonal communication, multicultural understanding, and team building. The Summer O Staff experience also provides you with the unique opportunity to mentor new students. Throughout the year, you will have opportunities to use your skills in hands-on situations, thus providing experiences upon which future employers look favorably.
Become a member
Becoming a member of the Summer Orientation Staff is extremely competitive. We seek to put together a diverse staff, full of various experiences, backgrounds, strengths, and challenges. We encourage all interested students to apply for these prestigious leadership positions on our campus. Please carefully read the information and follow all directions.
1. Attend an Interest Session
- Monday, September 10, 2018 @ 10:00 AM (Mississippi Room - Curris Center)
- Thursday, September 13, 2018 @ 3:00 PM ( Office of Recruitment - Curris Center)
- Tuesday, September 18, 2018 @ 11:00 AM (Mississippi Room - Curris Center)
- Wednesday, September 19, 2018 @ 2:00 PM (Mississippi Room - Curris Center)
- Friday, September 28, 2018 @ 2:00 PM (Office of Recruitment - Curris Center)
2. Complete an online application and recommendation letter
- October 1 - Application will go LIVE!
- October 12 @ 4:30 PM - Application Deadline
*All applicants must sign up for a group interview and also an individual interview after submitting application online.
3. Sign up for a group interview within the Office of Recruitment
- October 15 - 19 @ 6:00 PM (Stables - Curris Center)
4. Sign up for an individual interview within the Office of Recruitment
- Individual interviews will take place within the week of October 29th - November 2nd
- Find out if you have been selected as a 2019 Summer Orientation Counselor!
- Selections will be made and individuals will be notified the week of November 12th - 16th
Please refer questions to: