Summer O Staff Details
Our Summer O Staff positions are exceptionally rewarding and highly competitive. Please read the information below to determine if you meet, and will be able to complete all of the requirements to serve on the Summer Orientation Staff.
- Must be an Murray State student in good standing (not on any type of academic or disciplinary probation).
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at time of application.
- If selected, must maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA throughout your term on staff.
- Must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours) at Murray State for Spring semester 2017 and Fall Semester 2016.
- Must be in the Murray area, or able to return for each orientation session in Summer 2017.
- Must display professionalism and school spirit.
- Must show a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Must be open to learning and challenging yourself to grow in your leadership capacities.
IDEAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Be open to learning and having new experiences.
- Be an excellent team player and representative of Murray State.
- Possess a commitment to multiculturalism.
- Demonstrate passion for orientation programming.
- Possess ideas for improving the transition experience of new students on campus.
- Maintain a high energy level, enthusiasm, and stamina when working long days.
- Be an effective and clear communicator with peers, new students, and parents.
- Be comfortable facilitating small and large group discussions and activities.
- Possess a high level of maturity and an ability to use independent judgment in decision making.
- Desire to make a difference in the lives of peers and new students.
- Demonstrate flexibility, creativity, humor, and dedication.
TIME COMMITMENTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Being a Summer “O” Counselor requires an extreme amount of time and dedication. All members of the Staff are required to participate in the following activities:
- Spring & Summer Retreat: January 25-27, 2019 & April 5-6, 2019 (Subject to change)
- Summer O Course (Spring semester: Monday & Wednesday – 3:00 -4:30 PM)* (Subject to change)
- Southern Regional Orientation Workshop (SROW): March 15-17, 2019
- Additional summer training as needed
- All Summer Orientation Sessions
- April 19th (Honors)
- April 20th
- June 6th
- June 8th
- June 19th
- June 21st
- July 9th
- August 1st
- Great Beginnings Activities
SUMMER ORIENTATION STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve on at least one Summer Orientation Staff Committees
- Attend all spring and summer training events
- Guide new students through orientation experiences
- Facilitate discussions on campus life, academic expectations, and Murray State with new students & parents
- Assist in logistical coordination of orientation operations during the summer months
- Assist with Murray State sponsored events when necessary