Murray State University is pleased to host “Scholars Week,” a university-wide celebration of undergraduate and graduate scholarship, research, and creative work. This event consists of numerous oral presentations, poster sessions, exhibits and performance opportunities for individual undergraduate and graduate students from all colleges and schools to present either their independent or course-associated research, scholarly, or creative work.
As a student, why should you take part in Scholars Week? Presentation skills, for one, are very important to your future, regardless of your field. Whether you are applying for a job, professional school, or graduate program, your ability to present yourself and your ideas is critical. In addition, while at Murray State, you need to be building your resume. Ask yourself the following question: “What am I going to be able to list on my resume when I graduate?” You need to think about building your resume from the first day you arrive on campus; a presentation, performance, or exhibit at a campus-wide event like Scholars Week will be a valuable addition to your resume or portfolio.
- Fall Scholars Week is November 13-17, 2017.
- The Fall submission deadline is October 27, 2017
- To visit Scholars Week page on Digital Commons click here and to Register click here
- If you're interested in participating for Fall Scholars Week, Please contact David Pizzo (email@example.com) & AJ Boston (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Spring Scholars Week is April 16-20, 2018
The Office of Research and Creative Activity hopes you will encourage your students to participate in and interact with Scholars Week presentations. As an instructor, you can:
- Submit a panel of students from a research-based class to present versions of their final assignments
- Read abstracts of projects prior to Scholars Week and notify students of presentations relevant to your class
- Assign questions to help students better engage with researchers on campus (a set of sample questions is available here)
- Announce Scholars Week activities in class