J-1 visa

Application and Requirements | Scholarships | Tuition and Expenses | Undergraduate Programs | Graduate Programs

J-1 visa students should be aware of and follow these basic immigration regulations. Failure to abide by these rules may result in severe hardship:
Maintain full-time enrollment. Students must be fully enrolled at all times.  Students must speak with an International Student Advisor BEFORE falling below full-time hours for any reason.  Undergraduate full time enrollment is a minimum of 12 credit hours.  Graduate full time enrollment is a minimum of 9 credit hours.
Do not work off-campus. Off-campus employment can only be approved by the J-1 Advisor. Contact the J-1 Advisor for assistance.
Do not work on-campus without prior authorization from the J-1 Advisor. You may be approved to work up to 20 hours per week on-campus, but authorization must be granted first.
Make sure your passport is valid at all times. You should apply for renewal 6 months before expiration.
Make sure your DS-2019 is valid at all times. If you need to extend your stay for any reason, you must ask permission for an extension of your J-1 visa by extending the time period on your DS-2019. Contact the J-1 Advisor for assistance.
Maintain updated contact information. Update your address, phone, and email contact information with the IIS Office.
Questions concerning J-1 immigration regulations should be addressed to the International Student Advisor Misty Brown Lanham.
Appointments may be made directly with one of the J-1 Student Advisors or by calling the Institute for International Studies at 270-809-4152.