Academic Advising

The Academic Advising website offers students and advisors the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills to ensure a productive and positive academic advising experience. 

For Current Students

Undergraduate Students

All Murray State Undergraduate Students must be advised by an Academic Advisor in order to register for classes. 

Who is my Advisor? What are my Responsibilities for Academic Advising? What are my Advisor's Responsibilities?

For more information on what you need to do and bring with you see Academic Advising session. A Planning Worksheet can help you make a semester-by-semester plan for courses you will need. 

How do I access myGate from a mobile device?

Use Menu icon to open drop-down with icons. Graduation hat is the icon for Academics tab. Use your Racer Academic Completion Report (RACR) to evaluate which classes you need. See the RACR tutorials for help.

What if I have AP Scores coming in?

Check AP Equivalencies and contact your Academic Advisor if your schedule needs updating.

What if I want to declare/change area, major or minor?

See Declaring or Changing a major/minor for more information.

Reminder: YOU are responsible for your academic success, and Murray State University Academic Advising is here to help you to achieve your goals.

If you need further assistance, please contact your Academic Advisor, Department Chair or Program Coordinator. You many also contact Academic Advising at

Graduate Students

Please contact your Department Chair or Program Coordinator for Academic Advising information.

Visit Quick Links for a list of campus-wide services.

Questions about your Program? Can't reach your Academic Advisor? Use the following links to contact your College/Department directly:

Still need help or not sure where to start? Contact

Registrar Calender will provide you with important academic deadlines. 

Visit Forms for Change of Major/Area/Advisor, Overload, Appeals, Name Change, Preferred First Name.

Visit Office of the Registrar and scroll down for Bulletins to check your RACR for Bulletin year in force for you.

Visit the Registrar's Office for information about academic records, enrollment verification, RACR questions and problems, transcripts and graduation, or call 270.809.5630.

Visit the Bursar's Office for information about tuition, fees and billing or call 270.809.4227.


  • CHECK with the Bursar's Office before you drop classes.
  •  Visit Financial Aid for questions about refund, grants, loans and FAFSA or call 270.809.2546. FAFSA needs to be completed EVERY year.
  • Visit Scholarships for scholarship questions or call 270.809.3225.

    Contact the Scholarship Office before you drop or audit classes or change programs.

The Racer Academic Completion Report (RACR) is your interactive tool to track your progress toward graduation. Check out the RACR tutorials to learn how to read and use your RACR.

Learn how to use the What-If feature to see how your program of study would change with a different area, major, minor, second major or minor, Bulletin year, etc. Easy and fun to use!

Reminder: A Planning Worksheet can be helpful for making a semester-by-semester plan for courses you will need.

Murray State now utilizes myRegistration through myGate for students to register for classes. It's easy to use and we are confident you will like it.  Your advisor will use it too!  

myRegistration How-To Guide for Students

Note: You may need to complete a pre-registration verification form before you can register. 

A Planning Worksheet may be helpful for making a semester-by-semester plan for courses you will need. A Scheduling Grid can also be used for additional support. 

An Area is a comprehensive program that works with University Studies to make up your academic program. A Major and Minor work together with University studies to make up your academic program. Your program can be identified on RACR under your area or major.

Area or Major MUST be declared before registration following your completion of 45 credit hours. If you have/need a Minor, Minor must be declared before registration following your completion of 60 credit hours.

You may combine an Area and a Minor, or more than one Area, Major or Minor, but doing so likely will require extra credit hours. Discuss with your Academic Advisor and chairs/program coordinators of the programs you want to include.

Note: If your Financial Aid or Scholarship is linked to your current area or major check with the Financial Aid and/or Scholarship Office before changing your program.

You can find web, second-half semester and other term courses through myGate course search feature.

For questions about how transfer courses will count towards Murray State visit the Transfer Center website.

Access the Registrar's website and then click on Add/Drop Registration Information to learn more about these options. Talk with you academic advisor and staff in Financial Aid before you drop or audit a course. Make an educated decision.

Check out the Consent to Release Guide for information regarding what consent is and why you need to know it.

Trouble with your Academic Advisor? Connect with your department chair or contact for assistance.

For Academic Advisors

Information regarding undergraduate student advising:

Note to All Academic Advisors: Be sure that you have accurate up-to-date information. When in doubt, refer student or advisee to a person who has the accurate up-to-date information needed. Consult RegistrarBursarFinancial AidScholarship or other offices. Refer to Quick Links for contact information.

Contact your advisees using myGate Teaching/Advising My Advisees. The envelope icon at the top of the page provides an email list for your advisees. A sample email is provided.

Your program should have a four-year Plan or you can use a generic plan worksheet

Need information or training? Contact Academic Advising at

The RACR, Racer Academic Completion Report, is the tool that the Registrar uses to determine a student's status and progress toward graduation. Advisors need to help students monitor their RACRs and to make sure all student RACRs are accurate and up-to-date. If coursework is missing or applied incorrectly, usually an advisor's intervention is needed to fix these problems. This training includes information on how to use, fix and get help with RACR. 

RACR is accessed through myGate, Teaching/Advising, RACR Degree Audit. If you do not have access to RACR (if the screen is blank), contact RACR office at 

Note: Use this tutorial for a quick overview of the What-If feature.

Fall 2022:

Green Zone Training: The Green Zone program is designed to give our students a way to recognize staff and faculty who have been trained to be resources and allies for student Veterans, active duty service members and their families. The goal is to make MSU a more Veteran-helpful university.
Speaker:  AJ Cunha, Coordinator of Veteran and Military Student Success

myRegistration: Get a refresher course or see the new scheduling software in action for the first time.  Speakers:  Tracy Roberts, University Registrar and Kristi Jackson, Associate Registrar  

Video recordings are also posted in the Faculty Development Academy (FDA).  Login through Canvas or Self-Enroll in FDA

Future Fall Sessions:

  • Tuesday, October 18 - Mid-semester Mindset:  Moving and grooving at mid-semester. Evaluate students’ success and prepare for advanced scheduling and productive academic advising meetings.
    Speaker:  Peggy Whaley, Director, Center for Student Engagement and Success and Staff

  • Wednesday, October 26 - “I’m first!  Help me be successful.” How do you support our first-generation Racers?  Join the session
    to learn more.
    Speaker: Stephen Keene, Program Advisor for  Student Support Services

  • Tuesday, November 8 - First-Year Academic Advising Model Pilot Update: Learn about the new advising pilot to support first-year Racer success and retention
    Speaker:  Leanna McClure, Coordinator of First-Year Academic Advising         

  • Wednesday, November 16 - Fellowship, Food, and Celebration!  Let’s get together – face-to-face – and have a bit of cheer as we head into the end of the semester and the holiday season. No zoom today.  Location TBA.

Facilitator: Peggy Whaley, Director, Student Engagement and Success

The sessions will be facilitated via Zoom and recorded. 

Online: Via Zoom   



SPRING 2022:

  • The New University Studies Program - Effective Fall 2022

Session PowerPoint | Session Recording

  • Mental and Emotional Well-being of our Racers: How can I support students during challenging times? 

Session PowerPoint | Session Recording

  •  Navigating conversations on financial aid, billing and scholarships. What to ask, what to share, when to refer. 

Session PowerPoint | Session Recording

FALL 2021:

Starfish Student and Faculty Success Network

Access tutorials and guides.  You can also request a group or one-on-one training through the Starfish website.

myRegistration is the new scheduling tool for students and advisors. It's accessible through myGate and is easy to use. Students like it and advisors will too!

myRegistration How-To Guide for Advisors

Training Recording (June 2022)

Transfer Center website

Note: Transfer students are directed to contact their Academic Advisors or Department Chairs as soon as they are admitted so that they can register as soon as possible. Transfer students should NOT wait until Transfer Spring or Racer Nation Orientation to be advised or to register for classes. Registration for Winter and Spring courses opens in early November, and for Summer and Fall courses in early April. For summer and winter breaks, set your out-of-office notifications so that students will be redirected to your Chair or Coordinator. 

Using Starfish to Support Student Success

Raise a Flag or Kudo for one of your students. Raise flags for attendance, academic performance or other issues that may affect academic success. Starfish is linked through myGate Teaching/Advising and/or Canvas and is managed by the Center for Student Engagement and Success (Director Peggy / 270.809.2274).

Should your student or advisee drop or audit a class? Should you allow a student to audit your class? View information on the Registrar's website with regard to audit and withdrawing procedures, policies and deadlines. There are many factors that should be considered by the student, in consultation with you, prior to auditing or dropping a course. Identify the questions, getting answers, and helping the student make an informed decision is key.

Bursar's Note: Students MUST drop and add on the SAME DAY to reduce or prevent added expenses. Student or advisee should contact the Bursar's Office BEFORE dropping a class.

Financial Aid Office Note: Before dropping or auditing a class or changing program, student or advisee should contact the Financial Aid Office and consult with a Financial Aid Counselor.

Scholarship Office Note: Before dropping or auditing a class or changing program, student or advisee should contact the Scholarship Office. Audited courses do not count for most scholarships. If a student or advisee loses a scholarship, the student or advisee will receive information on appeals.

Before releasing any information (in person, over the phone, via email), be sure that you know your responsibilities. Check out Consent to Release and FERPA regulations for more information.

For Prospective Students

Contact Admissions or the Transfer Center to schedule a campus visit and to apply.

For New/Admitted Students

  • First-Time College Students: Register for Racer Nation Orientation. You will register for classes at orientation. Contact Admissions if you need to change or major or have questions about enrollment or bringing in credits.
  • Transfer and Graduate Students: Go to myGate, Academics and identify your Academic Advisor — contact Academic Advisor or department chair and register for classes. Contact the Transfer Center for questions about transfer or course equivalencies.
  • Summer Academic Advising: Your Academic Advisor is named on your myGate Academics tab. If you cannot reach your advisor over the summer, contact your Department Chair or Program Coordinator. They will be glad to help you while your regular academic advisor is away. If your Department cannot help, contact your Dean's Office. Don't wait — get the advising you need when you need it!
  • All students: As soon as you are admitted to Murray State University, connect with your academic advisor (found in myGate, academics tab).

The Academic Advising website is a resource of Murray State University Academic Advising. Questions, comments, suggestions? Please email

Take the next step

© Murray State University Department of Web ManagementWe are Racers.