Teacher Education Program
Orientations to Teacher Education are required for all students seeking certification,
including transfer students who have not taken EDU 180 or its equivalent at Murray
State and students that did not attend in EDU 180 or its equivalent.
If you are not sure if you have already attended one, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Teacher Education Orientation dates
|Thursday||December 5, 2019||10a-1p||Alexander Hall 1003|
|Thursday||February 13, 2020||2:30-5p||Alexander Hall 1003|
|Tuesday||May 12, 2020||9-11:30a||Due to COVID-19, this will be online. Information will be emailed prior to May 12th.|
Teacher Education Requirements
To be admitted to the Teacher Education Program at Murray State, students are required to pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators (CASE) (16 KAR 5:020) and attend an admission to Teacher Education Orientation. The current test subjects and their passing scores are as follows; Mathematics-150; Reading-156, and Writing-162.
Teacher Education Orientations are offered several times each semester for students who have not taken EDU 180 or its equivalent at Murray State or students who received an orientation in EDU 180 or its equivalent and did not follow through with the application process. Transfer students need to attend an admission to Teacher Education Orientation as soon as possible after enrolling at Murray State. If you need to schedule to take/retake the CASE please refer to the ETS website. When registering to take the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators (CASE) please remember to use the correct test code; Murray State University Test Code is R1494 and Murray State Test Center Code is 03058. If a Praxis test is taken outside of Kentucky then EPSB must be listed as a score recipient. EPSB test code is R7283. Students should be advised that Teacher Certification requirements are subject to change. Before registering for the test(s) please refer to the Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB) website for current requirements. You may contact EPSB at 502.564.4606 or 888.598.7667 to obtain current requirements.
In conjunction with attending a Teacher Education Orientation students must meet the following requirements:
- Have earned an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale at the point of admission.
This 2.75 minimum GPA remains a requirement throughout the teacher certification program.
Have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours with a minimum 2.75 GPA to include
the following coursework:
- ENG 101, 102, 104 or 105, or HON 150 with a “B” or higher,
- MAT 117 (or higher level math) with a “B” or higher,
- COM 161 or HON 165 with a “B” or higher,
- EDU 180 or equivalent with a “B” or higher (or ELE 605 [IECE graduate students] or LIB 600 [Library Science graduate students])
- An interview with major academic advisor or chair.
- Complete a review of the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel and a Declaration of Eligibility signed by the candidate affirming a commitment to upholding the code and acknowledging awareness of information required for state certification. If answers given on the Declaration of Eligibility change during the time of participation in the teacher education program, the Director of Teacher Education Services must be notified immediately.
- Have supplied TES with any other required information.
When all the above requirements have been met, the formal application can be submitted, accompanied by all required documentation. This includes an official
score report for the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) requirement
and a transcript showing all college work to date.
NOTE: Students who have not been admitted to Teacher Education will not be eligible to enroll in upper level courses that specify admission to teacher education is a prerequisite.
Application for Admission to Teacher Education