Using Online Debates to Facilitate Deep Engagement in Discussions Forums
Are you interested in finding out how to use online debates to help your students engage in deep and meaningful dialogue via discussion forums while achieving the course objectives?
Dr. Firm Faith Watson, Director of the Faculty Development Center, experienced the power of online debates as a student and as a facilitator. And in this session, she will share what works, including the opportunities that online debates provide to foster critical thinking, meaningful communication, and collaboration.
Session participants will be able to answer the following questions:
- What is an online debate?
- What are the components of a motivating moot?
- How do I design discussion forums to facilitate an online debate?
- What instructions or learning guidance should I provide my students to participate in an online debate?
- Are there sample responses from an online debate that I may review?
- How have students responded to the use of online debates?
When: Wednesday, April 22, 12:00 - 1:00 pm
Where: Online: Via Zoom: https://zoom.us/j/6750043081
After registration, you will receive a Zoom invitation via email.
Wednesday, 22 April, 2020
Contact:Faculty Development Center