How do you report sexual harassment?

Sexual harassment is a breach of the trusting relationship that normally exists between professors and students, employers and employees, and peers. Do not hesitate to report instances of sexual harassment by employers, professors, coworkers, or fellow students. Student, faculty, and staff handbooks outline procedures for addressing complaints, which are designed to protect the rights of all parties. Information about the procedures can also be obtained from the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA). 

The first step in filing a complaint or grievance is to contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA). Upon receipt of a written complaint, the IDEA will attempt to resolve the matter informally when appropriate. Otherwise, the IDEA will issue a written finding to the appropriate university official. This finding may include a recommendation for disciplinary action and is subject to appeal. Regardless of the disposition of the internal process, a complaint may be filed with an outside state or federal agency. Complaints involving student-to-student harassment will be referred to Judicial Affairs as outlined in The Student Life Handbook. 

Even when no formal complaint is filed, reporting an incident of sexual harassment benefits the university community. The university relies on such reports in assessing the problem of sexual harassment on campus and working toward its elimination.


NOTE: The Office of Equal Opportunity transitioned to the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Access effective July 1, 2013 and the website is located at: All references within campus-wide documents to the Office of Equal Opportunity should be considered analogous to the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity and Access.