Upward Bound is for high school students want to attend college or vocational school after their high school graduation. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Upward Bound is funded through the Department of Education.
Who is eligible for Upward Bound?
To be eligible for Murray State Upward Bound student must be
- A U.S. citizen or eligible resident that attends one of the following target area
Calloway County, Christian County, Charleston, Missouri, Marshall County
The student must meet one of the following criteria:
- Family income must meet federal guidelines and/or
- Neither parent obtained a four-year degree from a college or university
Where and when does Upward Bound meet
During the school year, an Upward Bound representative will visit each school. Christian County meets afterschool. Calloway, Charleston and Marshall meet during club or schedules times during the day on a specific day.
During the summer, students participate in a six-week residential program at Murray State's main campus. The students attend classes in academic subjects such as Mathematics, Science, Writing, Literature, and Foreign Language. Upward Bound students also attend several educational and cultural activities throughout the year
What is the cost to participate in the Upward Bound program?
Absolutely FREE program activities are provided at no cost to the student. Upward Bound is a federally funded program through the U.S. Department of Education.
- Tutoring Assistance online
- College Tours
- Field trips, cultural and educational events
- Access to utilize Rosetta Stone (22 languages available)
- A monthly stipend during the academic school year and summer with students that are active, meet GPA and attend workshops
- Assistance completing college applications
- Assistance preparing for college entrance exams
- Assistance in completing financial aid and scholarship information
Methods to communicate
Upward Bound likes to stay connected to its participants to answer questions, provide information n deadlines and much more. If you are a participant and not connected to sites below sign up.
- Christian County has a Facebook page
- Calloway, Marshall and Charleston share a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/
- All Schools use Remind
To motivate, assist, and promote qualified high school students to pursue a four year college degree by building their academic skills and social development through exposure to a variety of career, cultural, academic, and social experiences.Summer program - staff information
If interested in working for the Summer Program, please contact one of the following staff members.
- Buffy Blanton
- Director, UB Charleston
- Leigh Conyers
- Director, UB Christian
- 239A Blackburn
- Allison Prokop
- Academic Coordinator
- 239 Blackburn
- Melissa Hanners
- Administrative Assistant
- 203 Blackburn