Upward Bound is a program funded through the US Department of Education. Murray State University was funded to serve two Upward Bound Classic Grants.
Upward Bound is for high school students want to attend college or vocational school after their high school graduation. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Upward Bound is funded through the Department of Education.
To motivate, assist, and promote qualified high school students to pursue a four-year college degree by building academic skills and social development through exposure to a variety of career, cultural, academic, and social experiences.
Two grants for Classic Upward Bound
Serves Christian County High School
Director: Leigh Conyers
Application coming soon!
Who is eligible for Upward Bound?
To be eligible for Murray State Upward Bound a student must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- A U.S. citizen or eligible resident that attends one of the following target area
- Calloway County
- Christian County
- Charleston, Missouri
- Marshall County
- Henry County
The student must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Income guideline established by the US Department of Education
- First generation student (neither parent obtained a four-year college degree)
Free services offered
- ACT prep and practice tests
- Tutoring Assistance online
- College Tours
- Field trips, cultural and educational events
- Saturday Sessions (once a month)
- A monthly stipend during the academic school year and summer. Students must be active in the program and complete activities assigned.
- Assistance completing college applications
- Assistance preparing for college entrance exams
- Assistance in completing financial aid and scholarship information
- Ellen Uddberg
- Program Coordinator
- Upward Bound Charleston, Calloway, Henry, Marshall