Click the arrow for more information

What is an advocate?

The campus advocate helps students determine what resources, support services, and reporting options are available when dealing with instances of sexual violence, relationship violence, stalking, and/or harassment. The campus advocate helps students access these services on and off campus. It is not the job of the advocate to convince a student to report. Instead, we emphasize that the decision to report is the survivors choice.

When might you need an advocate?

We offer advocacy to ALL Murray State students. Students who have experienced sexual violence, relationship violence, stalking, and/or harassment often have many questions about counseling, support, resources, academic assistance, reporting, and disclosing what has happened to loved ones. Every situation is different, which is why the campus advocate works one-one with students to determine what they need.

What does the advocate do?

Available to meet either before or after a meeting with other university officials
  • Explain the reporting process and reporting options
  • Discuss your rights and responsibilities
Serve as the liaison between the student and other administrative offices
  • Help you prepare for meetings with Title IX, Murray State Police Department, Student Affairs, or other university administrators
  • Attend meetings with you as a support person
  • Advocate for academic and housing accommodations as appropriate
Help the student follow up
  • You will receive a lot of information during the reporting process. We assist students in keeping up with next steps and follow up with the various parties who are involved.
Refer students to counseling and other support services both on and off campus:
  • Connect you to on and off campus counseling services
  • Locate support services in your hometown for support while you are away from campus
  • Connect you with legal advocates and health advocates
Assist the student in disclosing to family, partners, and loved ones.
  • We can help students prepare to speak with their loved ones about what they are going through. This can be a difficult conversation and we can help you get started on how to have it.

How can you contact the advocate?

Advocacy services are available Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. To make an appointment with the campus advocate please email or call 270.809.3016.

Are advocacy services confidential?

  • Advocacy services are private and the campus advocate will not release personally identifying information without your consent.

Women's Center Advocacy

Contact: Abigail Cox
Phone: 270.809.3016
Office: C102 Applied Science Bldg