Academic success resources for students and families
Students, Murray State University is here to support you!
Fall 2023 Academic Calendar
August 16 — Classes begin
September 5 — Holiday - Classes dismissed; Offices closed
October 5 — 1st half semester courses end
October 6-7 — Fall Break - Classes dismissed; Offices closed
October 10 — 2nd half semester courses begin
November 23-25 — Thanksgiving - Classes dismissed; Offices closed
December 2 — Classes end
December 3-9 — Finals
December 10 — Commencement
Please continue to be in touch with your faculty members and academic advisors. They are prepared to help answer your questions related to your courses.
We hope the following information, resources and tips are helpful to you. Stay positive, safe, healthy and engaged to reach your goals. Murray State is here to assist you in any way possible as we successfully complete the semester.
- Murray State Account and Password Overview
- Computer and Browser Requirements for Instructional Technologies
- Getting started with Google’s G Suite at Murray State University
- Canvas 101 - Canvas Student Orientation
- View Instructor Comments on Assignments
- Comprehensive Canvas Help and Tutorials Index
- How to write an email to your teacher
- Microsoft Office for Students
- Academic Integrity
- Zoom 101 - Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing tool integrated into the Canvas
Learning Management System (LMS).
- Starfish Student Success Network
- Welcome to the Starfish Student Success Network! Murray State cares about you and your success. That’s why we’re using the Starfish Student Success Network to empower you to be successful. You can find many resources and information guides within Starfish. One of the best features of Starfish is that you can "raise your hand" to request help for course issues, well-being and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed. What services are available?
University Counseling Services provides free and confidential mental health counseling for all enrolled students. The Counseling Center is now open, and counselors are available to meet with students. We are strongly encouraging all clients to participate in remote sessions via Zoom rather than in-person sessions, in order to protect everyone's health. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Self-help resources are available on our website. If it is an emergency situation, please contact the Murray State Police Department at 270.809.2222.
How can I contact Murray State University Health Services?
Murray State University Health Services is located on the first floor of Wells Hall, facing the quad. Operating hours are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Office closed 12:30 p.m. - 1 p.m. for lunch). Individuals can reach Health Services by calling 270.809.3809 or emailing (email@example.com). After hours, call Village Medical Center at 270.759.9200.
Is there a list of terms I should become familiar with?
Yes! Visit the Racer Glossary to help understand the college lingo associated with a successful experience.
Your academic advisor is here to assist you in many ways and help you make the best decisions including courses, schedules and degree requirements.
Helpful Contact Information
Student Engagement and Success
“Not sure where to start? Start with us!”
- Peggy Whaley - 270.809.2274, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Smith - 270.809.2684, email@example.com
Information Systems – Service Desk
Murray State University
University Counseling Services
Murray State University