Openings for Graduate Assistant Positions
Graduate students that meet the minimum requirements and are interested in applying for a graduate assistantship should follow the proper steps to completing an application:
- Contact your academic department for any openings
- View published openings, listed below, and contact the office directly
The ideal time to apply for graduate assistantships is May-June for the fall semester,
and November for the spring semester. Offices must have assistantship positions filled
by August 1 for the Fall semester.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current OpeningsClick the arrow for more information
Graduate Assistant for Graduate Recruitment and Retention (Fall 2021)
Graduate Assistant for Graduate Recruitment and Retention
Contact: Matthew Jones - email@example.com
The Office of Graduate Education is seeking an energetic, “go-getter” who enjoys meeting new people and has a love for Murray State University. This position assists in the recruitment of highly qualified graduate students to Murray State University
Duties and responsibilities
- Travel to various off-campus events to represent The Graduate School
- Maintain contact through email and phone with prospective students
- Give campus tours to prospective students
- Update and maintain all social media sites for the office
- Give presentations to current students and other groups
- Greet visitors to the university in a friendly and professional manner
- Other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled graduate student at Murray State University
- Must be a US Citizen
- Have a clean driving record
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (this position gives presentations and campus tours – you must be comfortable with public speaking)
- Experience being an Orientation Counselor and/or Student Ambassador (Preferred; will also consider applicants who were active in other capacities during their undergraduate degree)
Please send your resume, cover letter, and list of three references to Matthew Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org). The position will remain open until filled. No phone calls, please.
Graduate Assistant for Student Disability Services (Fall 2021 - 2 positions)
The position of Graduate Assistant in the Office of Student Disability Services is responsible for a variety of clerical, assistive and proctoring duties that require flexibility from the employee. Specifically, Graduate Assistants in the Testing Center must possess excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills. Graduate Assistants will primarily work in the SDS Testing Center proctoring, reading, and scribing exams for students with disabilities, but will also be asked to perform other duties as assigned when necessary.
COMPENSATION: This is a non-exempt hourly position that is paid on a bi-weekly basis during the fall and spring semesters. Graduate Assistants will receive approximately $3,500 each semester.
HOURS: Approximately 20 hours a week with some early morning hours (starting at 7:00am) and evening hours (ending at 6:30pm) required.
- Provide daily assistance to students when filling out paperwork, scheduling exams and administering exams.
- Provide administrative support to all students, faculty and staff within the office.
- Daily responsibilities of reading, scribing, and proctoring scheduled exams.
- Ensuring that all proper procedures are followed regarding documentation, confidentiality, and the delivery and receipt of exams.
- Develop an understanding of assistive technology and disability law regarding higher ed.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Enrolled in a graduate program at Murray State University
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge and skills in word processing and data entry.
- Skills in organization and administrative support.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral communication.
- Ability to solve problems effectively.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities.
- Experience in the higher education setting.
- Clerical and office experience.
Graduate Assistant for Career Services (Fall 2021)
CAREER SERVICES GRADUATE ASSISTANT
Career Services | 100 Oakley Applied Science | www.murraystate.edu/career
Contact: Matt Purdy, email@example.com or 270.809.3375
Colleen Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 270.809.2906
Minimum GPA: 3.0
Classification: Graduate students
Availability: 20 hours per week
The Career Services Graduate Assistant (CSGA) will be trained to do the following:
- Work one-on-one with students to critique resumes and cover letters
- Assist with the marketing and promotions of Career Services
- Conduct one-on-one in person and Skype mock interviews
- Coach students through job search strategies
- Edit resumes and cover letters submitted via email
- Present career-related topics to classes and organizations
- Assist with market research as related to the mission/vision of career services
- A GA will be able to interact professionally with staff, faculty, employers and students
- A GA will know resume and cover letter writing and job search strategies
- A GA will be able to evaluate and critique documents and make recommendations for improvement
- A GA will be able to research current job search trends and develop recommendations to department
- A GA will assist during various career services events
- A GA will help with employer outreach efforts, both in-person and virtually
- Other duties as assigned
- Have a proven track record of self-motivation and initiative
- Strong written communications skills with excellent grammar and spelling skills
- Possess a strong ‘get it done’ mentality
- Effective verbal communication skills (both one-on-one and to groups)
- Be willing to be taught / coached
- Be skilled in social media planning (fb, ig, twitter) and multimedia production (photo and video)
- Have an intermediate understanding of Microsoft Office (primarily Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
Please go to the following link in Handshake to apply for this position and to upload your resume: https://murraystate.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4063018/share_preview
Position is open until filled
Murray State University values diversity, equity and inclusion. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will demonstrate a knowledge and awareness of diverse issues. Murray State University is an equal education and employment opportunity, M/F/D, AA employer.
Graduate Assistant for Student Engagement and Success (Fall 2021)
Student Engagement & Success Graduate Assistant
The Office of Student Engagement and Success is committed to the success and retention of all students through guidance, support, and cultivation of their personal well-being and academic success. The graduate assistant position is a vital part of the team that supports Murray State University students. This position includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities within the Division of Student Affairs AND Student Engagement and Success:
- Outreach to students who may be considered at risk
- Provide academic and personal support for students
- Empower students to utilize campus resources
- Provide support for retention efforts
- Manage Student Affairs social media presence
- Process student flags in Starfish Student Success Network
- Serve on various committees
- Aide in planning and implementation of initiatives and events
- Teaching opportunities may be possible in the fall semester
Current GA positions are paid $7000/academic year (August-May). The position is an hourly position and will require the submission of bi-weekly timesheets.
Questions can be directed to Peggy Whaley, Director of Student Engagement & Success - email@example.com
Link to Job: Student Engagement & Success Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant for Annual Giving (Fall 2021)
GRADUATE ASSITANT FOR ANNUAL GIVING
Hours Per Week
Murray, Main Campus
Office of Development
(dependent on Director’s schedule)
Minimum Education Requirements
Christian Barnes, Director of Annual Giving - firstname.lastname@example.org - Email your resume, cover letter, and reference list to Mr. Barnes.
Summary of Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Graduate Assistant for Annual Giving will report to the Director of Annual Giving. The primary duty of the Graduate Assistant position is to support the Annual Giving program, including some supervision over the Racer-Thon student fundraising program. In this capacity, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing general administrative support to the Director of Annual Giving
- Assisting the Director of Annual Giving with direct mail projects, including reports
- Some communications oversight – social media
- Responsibility for assisting with special projects assigned by the Director of Annual Giving
Racer-thon Student Fundraising Program
- Completing/Revising loading calling pools for the evening
- Scheduling/Coordinating interviews, trainings and evaluation processes
- Analyzing project data reports
- Supervise/Coach student shifts/calls
- Verify Credit Card information
- Monitoring incoming voicemails
- Verify pledges over $250
- Make real-time decisions towards optimizing our productivity for each shift
- Develop & utilize motivational techniques for student callers
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Annual Giving may include:
- Assist with promotions of fundraising campaigns
- Assist the Assistant Director of Stewardship & Donor Relations with special projects
- Assist with general office duties
- Assist the Office of Development and/or Office of Alumni Relations with campus events
Minimum Experience and Skill Requirements
- Detail oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Great interpersonal skills, supervisory, multi-tasking, and organizational skills required
- Must be able to quickly adapt to address changing circumstances and personalities
Preferred Education and/or Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Nonprofit Management, Communication/Marketing, or related field
- Experience in event planning
- Experience with graphic design
“Murray State University is an equal education and employment opportunity M/F/D, AA employer”