Applying to Graduate Study
- Complete application online and pay required $40 non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcripts reflecting all previous college credit should be forwarded to
Graduate Admissions of Murray State University by the registrar(s) of the school(s)
the applicant attended. In the event the student attended more than one college, an
official transcript must be sent from each college. These credentials should be on
file in Graduate Admissions no later than one month prior to the date the applicant
expects to register. Following the receipt of all required credentials, materials
will be forwarded for departmental approval. After departmental review, the applicant
will be sent an official letter indicating admission status.
- If you attended Murray State University, and have previously had your college transcripts sent, you will not need to request new copies unless notified by Graduate Admissions.
- Under the requirements of 12KAR2:045, review of residency for tuition purposes is
a required part of the admission/readmission process. Documents to verify residency
may be requested by Graduate Admissions for residents of AL, AR, IL, IN, KY, MO, and
TN, and must be provided before the beginning of the term for which the applicant
seeks admission. For frequently asked questions regarding in-state residency click here.
- If you have previously attended Murray State University under another name, and you have not already requested an official name change, please submit a name change request form.
Graduate Admission Standards
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Unconditional Admission
- Minimum university requirements for unconditional admission are an overall 2.75 grade point average (based on A equals 4.0). Some degree programs have additional requirements for unconditional admission. Refer to the program website for additional information.
- Conditional Admission
- Conditional admission may be granted to a student with an overall grade point average between 2.25 and 2.74. Conditional admission may also be granted to a student with an overall grade point average of 2.0 to 2.24 if the academic college/school’s review of the student’s record indicates the likelihood of success. Some degree programs have additional requirements for conditional admission. Refer to the appropriate chapter in the Murray State Academic Bulletin for requirements relating to specific degrees. Upon the completion of nine hours of graduate work a student admitted conditionally must have a 3.0 grade point average, or the student may be dropped from the graduate program. A graduate student dropped for failure to meet this requirement may reapply after having been out of the graduate program for one semester. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing by the departmental graduate coordinator, the department chair, and the collegiate graduate coordinator
- Approval of academic department (Graduate Admissions submits documents to the department.)
- Doctor of Arts: DA
- Doctor of Education: EdD
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: DNP
- Master of Arts: MA
- Master of Arts in Education: MAED
- Master of Arts in Teaching: MAT
- Master of Business Administration: MBA
- Master of Music Education: MME
- Master of Public Administration: MPA
- Master of Science: MS
- Specialist in Education: Ed.S
Programs are available for +30 and certification programs.
Graduate Program Admission Requirements
Each graduate program has its own admission requirements in addition to the university admission requirements stated above. Please visit the Graduate Programs page for more information on a particular graduate program and the program admission requirements.