Child Abuse and Parenting
Parent Stress Test
1. I have less than an hour a day to myself.
2. My child is overly active or a discipline problem.
3. Someone in my family criticizes the way I raise my child.
4. I am a single parent.
5. My child has special problems.
6. Sometimes I hit my child when I am furious or do not know what else to do.
7. I feel tired most of the time.
8. My child is a whiner or a constant complainer.
9. I have more than 2 children under the age of seven.
10. I was either physically or verbally abused or emotionally neglected as a child.
Did you answer yes to two or more? Maybe you are a little bit stressed as a parent. Don't worry though, there is help and it's available right in Murray, Kentucky!
Parents Anonymous is a self-help group involving parents who want to deal positively with the stress of parenting. As a new member, P.A. asks you to:
- make a conscientious effort to attend chapter meetings once a week
- be open to positive parenting skills discussed at our meetings
- make the effort to understand and control your feelings in difficult situations
- be aware of what constitutes child abuse, and work to prevent it
- reach for the phone and not your kids when you are losing your cool
As a member of a P.A. group, you are asked to be supportive to other members regardless of race, color, creed, national origin or economic status. You are asked to reach out, in a positive way, whenever possible, to persons who express a desire for help with parenting problems. Parents share phone numbers so that if help is needed during the week, you know someone to call.
The Murray Chapter of Parents Anonymous holds weekly meetings from 6 - 8 p.m. on Mondays. Free child care services are available.
For more information about Parents Anonymous, call (502) 753-0082. Toll Free Hotline: 1-800-432-9251.