Social Work Conference
The 43rd Annual National Institute on Social Work and Human Services in Rural Areas
National Rural Social Work Caucus
Rural Social Work: Collegial, Cooperative, and Collaborative
This conference will be held at Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky, during July 18-20, 2018. Conference events will begin on Wednesday, July 18, and will be held in Alexander Hall, located on Murray State’s main campus. An itinerary with room information and times of presentations will be updated as the schedule of events is finalized.
Click the subheading below for more information.
Summary of Event
The National Institute on Social Work and Human Services is an annual event focusing broadly on social service provision to rural areas as well as on the strengths and resilience of rural people. Our conference theme this year is Rural Social Work: Collegial, Cooperative, and Collaborative. The conference is particularly interested in receiving conference proposals that are responsive to this theme and that address issues relating to:
- Improving health and human services in rural and frontier areas
- Sustainable employment in rural and frontier areas
- Collaborations between rural churches and rural social/human service providers
- Collaborations between extension services and rural social/human service providers
- Collaborations between education and rural social/human service providers
- Collaborations between health care providers and rural social/human service providers
- Collaborations between education and rural human/social service providers
- Collaborations between public health and rural/social service providers
- Effective practice approaches in rural areas
- Building social capital in rural areas
Click here to register now!
All registration levels for the conference include sessions, CEU contact hours for social workers, a t-shirt, coffee breaks, two lunches (Thursday and Friday), and two dinners (Thursday and Friday).
- General Registration: $235, includes Caucus membership
Multiple registrations (three or more from same program) will include a 20% discount. Participants must register together to get the discount.
- One-day Registration: $150, includes meals, session, CEUs, and coffee breaks
- Student Registration: $75
- Pre-conference Workshop (Trauma-informed Practice): $65
- Post-conference Event (Saturday, July 21): $75, includes round-trip transportation from Murray to Paducah, tour of National Quilt Museum, and lunch at Mellow Mushroom and Paducah Beer Werks (beer not included)
Submission for Presenters
Please provide the following information in one document by e-mail to Peg Pittman-Munke at email@example.com before March 31, 2018.
- Abstract (50 words or less)
- Proposal (no more than 500 words)
- Learning outcomes ("At the end of this session, participants will be able to…")
- Presentation preference: Traditional Oral, Shorter Oral, Panel, or Poster
- Corresponding presenter’s name, position, and full contact information
- Additional presenters' names and positions
- Traditional Oral Presentations: 60 minutes with 15 minutes for questions/discussion
- Shorter Oral Presentations: 2-3 presentations grouped together in a 75-minute block
- Panel Presentations: 60 minutes with 15 minutes for questions/discussion
- Poster Presentations
Choose from one of the hotels below to get a conference rate.
- Springhill Suites, Marriott
$107/night (excluding tax)
Attendees may call 270-917-8000 and give the receptionist the code: MSSC.
- Hampton Inn and Suites
$109/night (excluding tax)
Attendees may call 270-767-2226 or reserve online at murraysuites.hamptoninn.com using the special group rate code: EHS.
Additional lodging options are available here; however, only the hotels listed above are offering a discounted rate for conference attendees.
This Parking Pass will allow you to park in any color zone or visitor zone. Be sure to fill out the parking pass form. The bottom portion of the form should be clearly displayed on your vehicle's dashboard. The top portion of the form should be taken to the University's Public Saftey office (located at the corner of 16th and Chestnut Streets) or brought to the event's registration table on the day of the conference.
Other Things to Do in the Area