Take Your Place in the Murray State Tradition
KCTCS Transfer Option
Students studying in Waterfield Library

Skip Navigation LinksAcademics > Continuing Education and Academic Outreach > Integrated Studies Program > KCTCS Transfer Option

KCTCS transfer option

Integrated Studies Home | About Integrated StudiesAdmissions ProceduresCredit for ExperienceDegree RequirementsField of Study KCTCS Transfer OptionContact Us

The Capstone Option is for the transfer student who has earned an Associate of Applied Science degree or an appropriate two-year certification program from a Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) institution. The Capstone Option may permit students who have successfully completed the selected KCTCS programs to transfer to Murray State University and complete a baccalaureate program (Bachelor of Independent Studies) in the equivalent of two additional years of college work.

Key features of the Capstone Option are:

  • It is for selected graduates of designated community and technical college programs who have raised their educational sights to include a baccalaureate degree;
  • It employs the MSU alternative degree program, Bachelor of Independent Studies (BIS) and involves no more than two years of additional work with Murray State University; and
  • It seeks to recognize similar objectives in both two-year technical programs and four-year baccalaureate degree programs.

Transfer from KCTCS Technical Program - Murray State University

64 hours


General Education

20-33 hours


Research and Field of Studies

30 hours


BIS 399

3 hours

Open Electives 0-12 hours

General BIS Requirements for graduation from Murray State University include a minimum of 32 hours earned in residence from Murray State University and 40 hours of upper-division credit.

Students will be required to declare the BIS Degree upon transfer to MSU. If not declared at time of transfer, credits from technical programs may not be awarded because the credits may not be transferable to other degree programs at MSU. Please note that awarded credits will not be placed on the student's transcript until completion of the BIS Degree.

Students will be allowed to use general education courses to meet the minimum upper-division requirements with prior approval of the MSU Registrar's Office.

Decorative image
Site Directory