Late Undergraduate Degree Application
This application is effective for one semester only. If a student does not graduate after making application, it will be moved one time. If you are still unable to complete all degree requirements it will be your responsibility to submit a new application via myGate by the deadline for the term in which you plan to graduate. The new application will result in another degree fee.
Submitting the degree application by mail:
Mail the completed application and degree fee to the following address:
Murray State University
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY 42071
Please include a check or money order payable to MSU for the $50 application fee. Applications submitted after the published deadlines are subjected to a $20 late fee. Deadlines are listed below. Applications submitted without proper payment will be accepted; however, a degree fee hold will be placed on your account until the fee is paid in full.
Submitting the degree application in person:
- Complete the degree application form.
- Go to the 2nd floor of Sparks Hall to the Cashier to pay the $50 application fee.. Applications submitted after the published deadlines are subjected to a $20 late fee. Deadlines are listed below.
- Bring the degree application form and receipt to the Graduation Office, 1st floor of Sparks Hall.
Applications submitted without proper payment will be accepted; however, a degree fee hold will be placed on your account until the fee is paid in full.
Upcoming application deadlines:
Graduation Term - Deadline
August 2014 - 3/3/2014
December 2014 - 4/30/2014
May 2015 - 11/3/2014
August 2015 - 3/2/2015
December 2015 - 4/1/2015
All undergraduate students (those applying for a baccalaureate or associate degree) are expected to apply for graduation by the dates given below. To apply, a student must complete the graduation application on the Academics tab in myGate. Late applications are accepted at the discretion of the Graduation Office. Please print the Undergraduate Late Application Form and submit the completed application with the $50 degree (cash, check made payable to MSU or money order only) fee to the Graduation Office.
All degree applications are checked to make sure the student is taking or planning to take all courses needed for graduation. A summary sheet is returned to the student; one is sent to the advisor; and one is kept on file in the Registrar’s Office
. It is the student’s responsibility to follow all instructions given on the degree application. Failure to do so could result in a delay of graduation. Any questions regarding degree application completion, etc., may be directed to Wendy Tudor
in the Registrar’s Office
Deadlines for Turning in Applications
- May Graduation - Approximately Nov. 1
- August Graduation - Approximately March 1
- December Graduation - Approximately April 1
All dates are approximate. The actual date will be given on the university calendar and the degree audit.
The Registrar’s Office must be notified if a change in graduation date is expected.
- A minimum of 120 semester hours are required for a Baccalaureate degree. Sixty semester hours are required for an Associate degree. Some degree programs may require more.
- The minimum number of semester hours required for a baccalaureate degree depends on your catalog declared. The range is between 120 - 128.
- MAT 095, MAT 096, MAT 100, MAT 105, ENG 095, ENG 109, ENG 110, GUI 096, GUI 097, INT 110, MAT 118, REA 095, REA 100, and ENG 100 are remedial courses at MSU and do not count toward graduation. Any student having these courses must take additional credit hours to make make up for each one of these courses taken. For example, a student who has taken MAT100 will need to take another 3 credit hour course.
- Forty-two upper level hours (300 level or above) are required.
- An overall gpa of 2.0 is required for graduation. Students must also have a 2.0 GPA in courses taken at Murray State.
- Students must maintain at least a "C" average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in courses used in the major and in the minor.
- Students must have completed 40 semester hours at MSU.
- Grade changes will not be made after conferral of a degree.
- Graduating seniors have 2 weeks to change an "I" after the end of the graduating semester. Otherwise, graduation will be delayed until the next semester. If the course is not needed for graduation, the "I" will be changed to an "E" and the degree may be conferred.
Back to top
- Courses numbered 600 or above are open to graduate students (those who are completing a Master’s or Specialist degree) only. In all master’s programs, half of the total coursework, excluding Thesis, Practicum, or Internship, or Co-op credit must be in courses open to graduate students only.
- An overall GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale) is required for graduation. All coursework used to fulfill master’s degree program requirements must be completed within eight years of the date the student initially enrolls in a class that counts as graduate credit for their degree.
- A maximum of 12 hours may be transferred from a regionally accredited graduate school. All transfer credit must be approved by the student’s advisor and collegiate graduate coordinator. All transfer credit must have been earned within the eight-year period allowed for the degree. The student must have an overall GPA of 3.00 on graduate work at Murray State and a grade of "B" or better in any courses to be transferred.
- If a thesis is being required, the student must submit the original and three copies of the signed thesis in unbound form to the Graduate Admissions Office two weeks prior to the date of graduation.
- The comprehensive exam must be completed and the results sent to the Graduate Admissions Office by the semester graduation date.
For additional information on graduate students, contact Kathy Garrison
Back to top