Library Guides - available from every Blackboard shell
This service, available directly from (1) your Blackboard course shell as well as (2) the Library’s homepage, provides guided access to the best resources for doing research in your particular department or subject area.
This is a directory, of sorts, of the best materials that our library has to offer students or faculty in any particular discipline. These pages feature journal databases, book & other media databases, as well as internet resources, RSS feeds of top journals, social media streams, news and research suggestions.
Each of these pages will have similar features, but the individual resources will represent that subject area only.
- Each will have a ranked list of databases & internet resources in that subject that can be accessed directly, and searched separately
- Each will feature a ThoroSearch box that will search most resources in that subject area at the same time
- Each page features streamed tutorials with instruction on how to use the page, and library services that appear on the page
- Each page includes a Google Custom Search of selected websites of approved content in this subject area
- 5. Each page also features contact icons for chat, email, phone and other direct contact to a subject librarian at Waterfield Library
For Faculty -- Virtual Librarians
If you are teaching a course with a research component, consider having your Subject Librarian added to your Blackboard Course. The librarian is willing to “lurk” on your Blackboard page to offer tips, tricks, and guidance to your students on resources that change frequently. Consider using Eluminate in your online courses to allow your librarian to work with your students. Call your subject specialist into your class, into your Blackboard shell, into I-TV or other contact options.
Get to know your subject librarians HERE.