270-762-3776 or 800-272-4678 ext. 2

In this chapter...
Personal Information Network (PIN) Withdrawal
Registration Procedures Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
MSU Academic Progress (MAP) Report Costs
Classification Fee Policy
Change of Schedule Residency Reclassification
Credit by Examination Financial Assistance
Auditing of Courses

Registrar's Information
For information regarding registration, graduation, MAP Reports, student PIN, and grade and registration policies, and for a form to request a transcript, see the Registrar's link on the Murray State University web site at Questions may be directed to the Registrar's Office at 270-762-3741 or 800-272-4678 (option 2), or in writing Registrar's Office, 113 Sparks Hall, Murray, KY 42071-3312. 

Personal Information Network (PIN)
Murray State University provides a secure, on-line Personal Information Network (PIN) to current students and faculty. The PIN system provides up-to-date access to students enabling them to view their class schedules, grade reports, account balances, 1098T tax information, student loan notices, contact information, personal information (majors, advisors, residential college, GPA, etc.), and account holds. Students can also use the PIN to request enrollment verification. This system is in on-going development, so other features will be added. It is the student's responsibility to check their PIN account regularly and to keep all contact information current. More information can be found on the Registrar's website or by clicking the PIN logo on the home page.

Registration Procedures
Registration at Murray State is handled through an on-line computerized process that may be accessed by eligible students via RACER-TOUCH, a Touch-Tone telephone system, at 270-762-3500. Instructions and a trial schedule form are printed in the Schedule of Classes each term. Questions may be directed to the Registration Office at 270-762-3776.

Students who have been enrolled at Murray State in at least one regular term within the 10 months preceding registration will be in the active registration file. All other students must file a formal application for readmission to determine their registration status. Refer to the section on readmission which appeared earlier in Chapter 2.

Scheduling is handled via RACER-TOUCH. Refer to the university calendar in the official Schedule of Classes or Murray State's website for exact dates, times and places. Before a student may schedule, he or she must have consulted an academic advisor about his or her proposed class schedule. Undergraduate students have a block on their registration access that can only be 
removed by their academic advisors. Students in the Honors Program and athletes are required to have an additional approval from the appropriate program advisor. 

Students should check their PIN to view all current holds. These holds must be cleared prior to scheduling classes or enrolling. Financial aid cannot be applied to accounts of students who have certain holds. Students with the following situations will not be permitted to register until the related issue has been resolved: a student classified as a senior who is completing a major and has not officially declared a second major or a minor; a student classified as a junior who is listed with an "undeclared" major; any student on probation or warning who has not been counseled for advising; any student with an incomplete admission file, on academic suspension, or one who has any indebtedness to the university; and any student who has completed a degree and has not been admitted to a new program or status.

As a part of the Freshman Year Experience, new freshmen have an opportunity to pre-schedule for the fall term but only at a specified summer orientation session. Other admissions who wish to take advantage of the initial period of pre-scheduling must be admitted by the March deadline for summer and fall terms, and the October deadline for the spring term. Others may pre-schedule after they are admitted. Reference should be made to the official university calendar for the initial pre-scheduling dates for currently enrolled students. Those who must register late should follow the instructions printed in the official Schedule of Classes (an edition of the Bulletin published three times a year under separate cover). Specific scheduling times are assigned during initial pre-scheduling. Assignments are based on the number of semester hours earned that are on file at Murray State at the time scheduling takes place. In-progress courses do not count. Students classified as "graduate" or "post-baccalaureate" may schedule or register at any time listed in the class schedule, except for times reserved for freshmen only. Students classified as "visiting," "special," or "non-degree" must schedule at the times indicated for freshmen. Before a student is considered registered, he/she must be properly enrolled in class and have made payment of required fees. A student who attends a class without being properly enrolled will not receive credit. Courses must be scheduled in the semester in which the actual coursework is completed.

Major and Advisor Assignments
Although the student advising program at Murray State University is specifically designed to assist students as they progress through a degree program, it is the responsibility of all students to be thoroughly familiar with the university's catalogs, student handbook and all rules, regulations and requirements that apply to their programs of study, and decisions made in connection therewith are the sole responsibility of the student.

Each student is initially assigned an academic advisor based upon the major indicated by the student on his or her application for admission. Students who have not declared a specific major are assigned to the Center for Academic Advising. After enrolling, a student may apply for a change of area, major, advisor or degree objective by filling out an undergraduate change of major/advisor form, which may be obtained from any department. To have a major changed, the student must be eligible for the degree level and major selected. If approved, the student's advising file will be transferred from the former department, a faculty member in the department of the new major will be assigned as his/her advisor, the Registrar's Office will be notified of the change, and all computer files will be updated. Since advising materials and reports are sent to the department of a student's declared major, it is very important that this information be kept current. Current information about a student's area or major and minor can be found on the PIN website. Advisors reserve the right to require the most current catalog requirements of students switching to a new major.

Students must declare a major or area program of study by the beginning of their fifth full-time semester and/or no later than the beginning of their Junior year (60 semester hours of credit). An undergraduate student who has a major program (as opposed to an area) must also declare a second major or a minor no later than the beginning of the student's senior year (90 semester hours of credit). The completion of a second major does not constitute a second degree. This policy is applicable to all students pursuing bachelor's degrees, including transfer students. Students may change their majors and areas after their initial declarations but need to be sure to discuss their course history with their prospective departments. Students who are on file as undeclared with a Junior classification may not be allowed to register without permission from the Registrar's Office.

Students are expected to confer frequently with their advisors and plan academic programs prior to the actual time for scheduling of classes each semester.

MSU Academic Progress (MAP) Report
The MSU Academic Progress (MAP) Report is available to undergraduate associate and baccalaureate students to clarify the steps and courses needed to achieve a degree. This report incorporates the requirements found in this Bulletin, and presents updated information as courses and requirements change after the Bulletin is published.

The MAP reports are prepared for individual students and use file information and transcript courses to monitor a student's progress toward any specific degree program. MAP reports will be distributed each semester prior to pre-scheduling to provide students with a current statement of remaining requirements for graduation. They are powerful advising tools which are also available on request as students wish to explore the requirements needed should they change degree objectives or add or delete areas, majors, minors, or teacher education.

MAP reports should be used in conjunction with information from the student's advisor and the Undergraduate Bulletin to insure that all graduation requirements are being met. It is the student's responsibility to verify that all requirements have been completed and to question any information that they do not understand.

Murray State University operates on a semester system, with one hour of credit equal to 15 50-minute sessions of lecture or 30 50-minute sessions of laboratory. Each academic year consists of a fall term which begins in August, a spring term which begins in January, and a summer term which begins in May and includes several sessions of varying durations.

Course Numbers 
The numbers used to identify courses are as follows:

001-089 special category post secondary courses

090-299 lower division undergraduate courses

300-499 upper division undergraduate courses

500-599 upper division undergraduate courses, or graduate courses (requires at least a junior classification; students desiring graduate credit must be admitted to graduate studies prior to registering for a 500-level course; and will be required to complete additional assignments)

600-799 graduate courses

Undergraduate students having fewer than 30 semester hours of earned credit are classified as freshmen; students having 30 to 59.9 semester hours of earned credit are classified as sophomores; students having 60 to 89.9 semester hours of earned credit are classified as juniors; and students who have a minimum of 90 semester hours of earned credit are classified as seniors.

Other classifications used are "post-baccalaureate," for students who are doing undergraduate work after receiving a baccalaureate or higher level degree; "special," for students taking classes while enrolled in high school; "visiting," for students seeking a degree at another institution who enroll at Murray State for the transfer of credit; "non-degree," for students who are not seeking a degree; and "graduate," for students working on an advanced degree. Students desiring graduate credit for 500-level courses must be admitted to graduate status prior to scheduling the 500-level course. All students must comply with University policies, regardless of classification.

Student Load 
Audited and developmental classes are included when determining the total hours in a student's course load. The minimum full-time undergraduate course load is 12 semester hours. Students pursuing approved cooperative education/internship credit will be considered full-time students with fewer than 12 semester hours. The normal load is 16 hours. Students admitted with conditions or admitted with restrictions, and those who are on academic warning or academic probation are restricted to 16 hours. Since the maximum load without special approval for other undergraduate students is 19 semester hours, it is not possible to schedule for more than 19 hours via RACER-TOUCH. Students who have demonstrated outstanding scholastic ability or who are enrolled in curricula requiring more than 128 semester hours for graduation may be permitted to carry increased loads. If an exception is to be made in any individual instance, the undergraduate student must have an overall grade point average of at least 3.00 or at least 3.00 for the previous semester. A letter of approval signed by the student's collegiate dean must be taken to the Registration Office, Sparks Hall. Under no circumstances may an undergraduate student enroll in more than 22 semester hours without approval from the student's collegiate dean and the vice president for academic affairs.

A student enrolled concurrently at Murray State and another collegiate institution may not enroll in a combined course load that exceeds the applicable Murray State student load regulation.

For information concerning the maximum load for summer session, contact the Registrar's Office, Sparks Hall.

Freshman and sophomore students may take 300-level or 400-level courses with the approval of the chair of the department in which the course is offered. Sophomores who will be juniors before a 500-level course begins may schedule for the course, with the understanding that courses will be removed from the schedule if junior status is not attained before the course begins. Only those who are classified as graduate students may take 600-level or 700-level courses.

Change of Schedule 
NOTE: Dropping below full-time status may affect total fees, benefits, insurance, financial aid, athletic eligibility, etc. It is the student's responsibility to comply with all such policies.

Any schedule changes must be approved by the student's advisor. Additional signatures are required for athletes, students in the Honors Program and those who wish to audit a class. Changes may be made by the drop/add procedure. For changes that do not require special approval, the student should call RACER-TOUCH at 270-762-3500 during the published drop/add periods. Forms for changes that require special permission should be taken to the Registration Office. Any additional tuition or course fees may be paid or charged to an acceptable credit card via RACER-TOUCH or in the cashier's office on the second floor of Sparks Hall. Changing a course from CREDIT to AUDIT may not be done via RACER-TOUCH. Using the audit permission form available in the class schedule or from the Registrar's Office, obtain the required signature of the instructor of each course being audited, and take the form to the Registration Office in Sparks Hall.

Dropping a class before the end of the first drop period will eliminate the course from the student's permanent record. For classes dropped during the second drop period, the student will receive a grade of withdrawn (W). Consult the current university calendar for dates and deadlines. (Note: WP/WE option for all dropped courses was discontinued fall 1991, and is now used for assigning grades to students who officially withdraw from school after the period of time during which W's are assigned but on or before the deadline for withdrawing.)

Auditing of Courses
An auditor is one who enrolls and participates in a course without expecting to receive academic credit. A student may not schedule for audit via RACER-TOUCH, since the permission and signature of the instructor are required. The audit permission form available in the Schedule of Classes should be used. The semester hours of an audited class count toward full-time status at Murray State; however, audited courses do not have credit or apply to any degree or certificate programs and do not figure in completion hours required for NCAA or financial aid. Tuition and course fees are the same for credit and audit courses. Courses that were audited may be taken for credit in a later term.

Regular class attendance is expected of an auditor. Students interested in auditing a course must secure written permission from the instructor and discuss course requirements prior to enrolling. Failure to meet course requirements may result in the auditor's receiving a failing grade at the request of the instructor. A successful audit will be recorded on the transcript with the designation AU.

Any change from audit to credit must be done by the last day to add a class. A change from credit to audit must be done by the last day to drop a course with a W, and requires the permission of the instructor of the course. Refunds for withdrawals from audited courses will be prorated on the same basis as refunds for withdrawals from courses taken for credit. Instructors reserve the right to deny audit permission for their classes.

Credit by Examination
NOTE: Procedures, fees and minimum scores cited in all sections that refer to testing credit are subject to change. Contact the Registrar's Office for the most recent information.

For students enrolled at Murray State, undergraduate residence credit may be earned through the Advanced Placement Program (APP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and challenge examinations developed by the academic departments. A listing of tests that Murray State accepts for credit is available from the Counseling and Testing Center, Ordway Hall. Graduate students may not obtain graduate credit through testing. To receive credit by examination a student must be currently enrolled at Murray State. The credit hours earned through these examinations will count toward graduation, but will not be used to compute grade point averages since a letter grade will not be given. Although a student may receive credit hours through any of these programs, duplicate credit may not be earned. For example, a student who earns credit for ENG 101 through APP may not receive additional credit for an ENG 101 class or the CLEP general or subject exam. Students currently enrolled at Murray State must have written permission prior to taking any tests for credit. Permission forms may be obtained from Counseling and Testing, Ordway Hall. Credit by examination may not be used as a repeat of a course taken earlier.

Credit awarded by Murray State for APP, CLEP, or departmental challenge examination is counted as residence credit.

Advanced Placement Program (APP)
This is a program offered in cooperation with Educational Testing Service and various high schools. Students will generally complete their APP tests while in high school. Murray State University encourages but does not require students to complete a particular APP course prior to taking the examination in that area. Generally, a score of 3 is the minimum required for credit and in some cases a score of 4 or 5 will yield additional credit. A listing is available at our website A student must be enrolled at Murray State to receive credit based on satisfactory APP scores. APP credit may not be used as a repeat of a course taken earlier. 

College Level Examination Program (CLEP) 
This program provides an opportunity to earn credit for previous education or life and career experiences. The CLEP tests may be taken prior to enrollment or during one's university career. However, after enrolling at Murray State a student must apply for permission to take the CLEP. A score of 50 on a general exam is required for passing, with the exception of English composition which requires a score of 42 and a locally scored essay. Credit for English composition is based on a combination of the student's CLEP score and essay, as evaluated by Murray State's English faculty.

CLEP Subject Exam. Minimum score requirements vary depending on the exam. A list of exams and minimum score requirements is available from Murray State Counseling and Testing Center or at the web site. The CLEP tests are administered on the Murray State campus by the Counseling and Testing Center. Credit earned through successful completion of the CLEP general examination may be used toward fulfilling Murray State's University Studies requirements. A student must be enrolled at Murray State to receive credit based on satisfactory CLEP scores. A CLEP test may be repeated with permission. A minimum of 6 months must elapse 
between retakes of the same test. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that retake attempts meet this requisite. CLEP credit may not be used as a repeat of a course taken earlier.

Departmental Challenge Examinations 
A student must be currently enrolled at Murray State University to take a departmental challenge examination. All applications for departmental challenge examinations must be approved by the student's advisor, the chairman of the department offering the course and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. All costs connected with a particular examination must be met by the student prior to the testing date. A $5 per credit hour fee is assessed for each course. A department may adopt a standardized examination available from outside the university or develop a departmental proficiency examination which may be oral, written or both. Students desiring to receive credit by departmental challenge must initiate the procedure through the Registrar's Office. Applications for such credit in a particular course may be initiated only once. Departmental challenge credit may not be used as a repeat of a course taken earlier. A grade received in a regular course may not be changed by departmental challenge examination.

Credit by Kentucky Instructional Results Information System (KIRIS) Portfolio Performance Level
Students who have an eleventh-grade or twelfth-grade writing portfolio with a Kentucky Instructional Results Information System (KIRIS) performance level of "Distinguished" or "Proficient" may receive credit in English 101 (Composition) and eligibility to enroll in English 104 (Honors Composition and Research) in lieu of the standard University Studies composition requirements. Students desiring to be assessed for such credit and placement must initiate the procedure and certify the KIRIS performance level through Admissions Services, Sparks Hall, and schedule to write an essay with Counseling and Testing, Ordway Hall. Credit is based on assessment of the essay and if awarded is counted as residence credit. A student must be enrolled and pay a $15 processing fee before credit will be awarded.

The following system of grades is used for the evaluation of course work, with a 4.00 grading scale used to determine grade point average:

A - Exceptionally high quality; valued at four points for each credit.

B - Good; valued at three points for each credit.

C - Satisfactory; valued at two points for each credit.

D - Poor; valued at one point for each credit

E - Failure, no credit; valued at no points but counted as hours attempted.

P - Pass; credit valued at no points and no hours attempted. (Used only for departmental challenge and officially approved pass/fail courses as stipulated in the course description section of this bulletin).

AU- Audit; no credit. (Requires instructor's approval).

I - Incomplete; computed as hours attempted and no quality points.

R - A grade to be used in restricted approved instances in specific approved courses to denote either completion of a course for which credit is deferred until additional course work is completed, or that the course must be repeated.

X - Absent from final examination; computed as hours attempted and no quality points.

W - Withdrawn; no hours attempted and no quality points. (Only may be assigned to eligible students who have officially dropped courses or withdrawn from MSU by published deadlines).

WP - Withdrawn Passing; no hours attempted and no quality points. (Only assigned to applicable students who completed withdrawal from MSU after the last day to receive a W).

WE - Withdrawn Failing; computed as hours attempted and no quality points. (Only assigned to applicable students who completed withdrawal from MSU after the last day to receive a W).

Students may not complete extra work in order to changes a grade of A, B, C, D, or E once the grade has been recorded.

Grades of E, WE, I, or X affect a student's grade point average negatively. A student who receives I or X grades and fails to enroll at Murray State within one calendar year from the end of the term in which such grades were received will forfeit the privilege of making up the incomplete course work or examinations for those courses.

A grade of I (incomplete) means that some relatively small part of the term's work remains undone because of sickness or other reason satisfactory to the instructor. This work must be completed within the first semester after the student reenters the institution if credit for the course is to be gained. The deadline for the instructor to come to the Registrar's Office to change an I is the last day of classes for the term within which the work must be completed. This procedure is not applicable to incompletes recorded for individual study such as graduate research or thesis.

A grade of X may be changed by special examination within the first four weeks (two weeks during summer term) after the student reenters the institution if credit for the course is to be gained.

Candidates for degrees who have I or X grades in any courses required for graduation must complete all work and have the grades changed by the instructors prior to the end of the semester in which they are to graduate. If such grades are received for courses taken during the final semester and the work is not completed, the graduation will be delayed until the next date for degree conferral. A $5 degree reinstatement fee will be assessed.

Academic Honors: Public announcement is made after each fall and spring semester of all full-time undergraduate students who have attained a term grade point average of 3.50 or above for that semester. This requirement must be met at the time grades are prepared. Grades of I or X may prevent a student from being placed on the Dean's List. The statement "Dean's List, Academic Excellence" is placed on the student's permanent record, below the listing of that semester's courses and grades.

Outcomes Assessment: Outcomes assessment, while not having impact on a student's grade point average or graduation status relative to the student's test performance, is nonetheless a required activity.

Auditing of Courses: An auditor is one who enrolls and participates in a course without expecting to receive academic credit. An audited course is not applicable to any degree or certificate program. For information on registering to audit a course, see the section on auditing in Chapter 4 of this Bulletin.

Regular class attendance is expected of an auditor. Students interested in auditing courses must secure written permission from the instructors and discuss course requirements prior to enrolling. Failure to meet course requirements may result in an auditor receiving a failing grade at the request of the instructor. A successful audit will be recorded on the transcript with the designation AU. It is permissible for a student to take a course for credit after having audited it or to audit a class after having received credit for the course, but an audit grade will not replace/remove an earlier grade.

Quality Points: These are points earned per credit hour that are used to calculate a student's grade point average. The number of points received for each course is determined by the grade earned and the grading scale used. Since Murray State uses the 4.00 grading system, each credit hour of A receives four quality points; each credit hour of B receives three; each credit hour of C receives two; and each credit hour of D receives one. For example, a student who earns an A in a four-hour course will receive 16 quality points.

Grade Point: The grade point standing of a student is defined as the ratio of the total number of quality points to the total number of hours attempted, truncated (no rounding) to the decimal points. For example, a 3.9999 calculation would be stated as a 3.99 GPA. Cumulative GPAs are posted to a student's permanent record until completion of the first baccalaureate degree. For example, a student who earns a grade of B in all courses for a total of 128 semester hours would have 384 quality points and a standing of 3.00.

Academic Warning: An undergraduate student who has less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA and who is not on probation is under academic warning. A student on academic warning may enroll in no more than 16 hours a semester. 

Academic Probation: An undergraduate or irregular student whose cumulative grade point average falls below the following scale will be placed on academic probation.
Earned Credit Hours
Freshmen/Special High School*
*Visiting and non-degree students must meet the requirements for the appropriate number of earned credit hours.

To be able to continue enrolling, a student who is on academic probation at the end of a semester must meet the criteria for Academic Probation Continued or Removal from Probation at the end of the next term enrolled. This includes summer terms. A student on academic probation may enroll in no more than 16 hours a semester. Academic Probation and Academic Probation Continued are noted on the transcript.

Academic Probation Continued: A student on probation must increase their cumulative grade point average to be continued on probation. A student continued on probation may enroll in no more than 16 hours a semester.

Removal from Probation: A student on probation who achieves a cumulative grade point average at or above the appropriate GPA on the scale indicated above will be removed from probation.

Academic Suspension: Academic suspension occurs when (1) a new freshman has term hours attempted and earns a "0.00" term GPA for his/her first semester at Murray State, or (2) any student who is on probation fails to increase their cumulative GPA. One full semester separation from the university is required of a student on academic suspension, after which a readmission application must be filed with Admissions. A student suspended at the end of the spring semester will not normally be permitted to enroll for the following fall semester. A student on academic suspension may not receive credit for any courses taken at another college during the period of suspension. See the section on appeals. Academic Suspension is noted on the transcript.

Academic Dismissal: Two full calendar years of separation from the university are required of a student who was previously suspended, reenrolled, and failed to be removed from probation or to be continued on probation. After the lapse of two years, a written request to be considered for readmission must be made to Admissions. A student on academic dismissal may not receive credit for any courses taken at another college during the period of dismissal. See the section on appeals.

Repeating Courses: An undergraduate student may, for the purpose of raising a grade, repeat a course for credit no more than twice. The grade in the first attempt in which the student earned a grade of A, B, C, D, E, P, X, I, or WE will be removed from the record by the next attempt in which a student earns a grade of A, B, C, D, E, P, X, I, or WE. Grade(s) and hours beginning with the latter attempt will be used in the grade point computation. However, hours for only one of the repeated attempts will be allowed to count toward the minimum number of hours required for graduation. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Registrar's Office of any repeated courses. This can be done through RACER-TOUCH scheduling or drop/add, or in person in the office on the first floor of Sparks Hall.

Courses that may be taken more than once for credit are so designated in the course descriptions, with any limits specified. If a student exceeds the maximum attempts indicated, the grade of the first attempt in which the student earned a grade of A, B, C, D, E, P, X, I, or WE will be removed from the record. Any limits on the number of attempts that apply toward graduation will also be enforced.

Courses taken at Murray State may not be repeated at another institution, by departmental challenge, or other tests for credit, with the intention of replacing the earlier grade. The GPA at graduation is permanent and will not be recalculated if additional courses are taken after graduation.

Graduate courses may not be repeated for the purpose of removing grades. All graduate grades remain on the transcript.

Academic Good Standing: Students who are not on warning, probation or academic suspension or dismissal are considered in good standing. If a student is not in good standing but requests that a verification of good standing be sent to another institution, the verification will state that the student is eligible to re-enroll if applicable.

Appeals: A student who has been academically suspended or dismissed may appeal in writing to the Registrar's Office for special consideration when a documentable repeated or lengthy illness or family emergency has been the cause of excessive absences from class and when the absences have been beyond the control of the student. All appeals must be on file at least 14 days before the first day of class of the relevant term. 

Associate Degree Admission Status: A restrictive admission status used from the fall of 1986 through the spring of 1995. Students admitted under this status who did not meet baccalaureate degree status may be readmitted under the current admission requirements if they have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 on a 4.00 scale on all classes, including transfer courses.

Preparatory Status: A restrictive admission status used from the fall of 1986 through the spring of 1994. Students admitted under this status who had not completed the requirements to have the restrictions lifted were converted to associate degree status in the summer of 1994.

Pre-Baccalaureate Status: A restrictive admission status used from the fall of 1995 through spring of 2003. Students under this status who have not met all of the requirements are now re-evaluated under the new admission guidelines in Chapter 2 of this bulletin.

Community College Status: A restrictive admission status used from the fall of 1998 through the spring of 2003. Students under this status who have not met all of the requirements are now re-evaluated under the new admission guidelines in Chapter 2 of this bulletin.

Grade Change Policy 
Recording of Grades. Grades are recorded in the Registrar's Office as reported by the faculty at the end of each term. No grade filed in that office may be changed except upon a written statement signed by the instructor certifying an error has been made.

When an error is made in reporting a grade, the instructor may make the necessary change in the Registrar's Office within the next regular semester following the recording of the grade. A grade will not be changed after a degree is conferred. Students may not complete extra work in order to changes a grade of A, B, C, D, or E once the grade has been recorded.

The policy concerning the changing of X and I grades is addressed earlier.

Grade Appeals Policy
Murray State University recognizes that differences of opinion or interpretation may arise between students and faculty members regarding the assignment of course grades. The university urges that a student first seek resolution through informal discussion with the appropriate faculty member. The following policy has been adopted as a formal avenue for the resolution of a student grievance or appeal, in the event that such differences cannot be resolved informally. The university recognizes the right of a student to present a grievance to an established committee and to have that grievance considered on its merit by an expeditious and orderly process. It should be noted that situations involving academic misconduct should be directed to the University Judicial Board.

Definitions. Complainant: one who files a grievance, complaint or appeal within the scope of this policy.

Respondent: one against whom a grievance is filed.

Days: counted when classes or exams are scheduled, excluding Saturdays.

Faculty: all persons, whether full or part-time, who are responsible for, assist in, or administer the instructional program. (See Sec. 2.1 of the Faculty Handbook for a complete definition.)

Grievance: a written allegation or complaint that there has been a violation, misinterpretation, or improper application of existing policies, rules, regulations, practices, and/or procedures which a student believes to be unfair, inequitable, or a hindrance to that student's effective performance.

Limitations. A grievance procedure must be initiated within the first twenty (20) days of the semester immediately following the semester or term during which the incident of grievance is alleged to have occurred, exclusive of summer session. Any special circumstance or request involving the time limitation set forth above will be considered and evaluated by the appropriate academic dean. Documentation of any revision of the time limitation will be included with the grade appeals form. Under no circumstances will an appeal of a grade be accepted after one year from the end of the semester in which the grade was received.

A faculty member has the responsibility to retain all course material and/or records not left in the student's possession which contribute to the final course grade. These materials must be kept for the 20-day period of the following semester during which a student may appeal a grade, or in the event of an appeal, until conclusion of the appeal process.

Procedures. Step 1. Before a formal grievance may be filed with the Academic Appeals Board, the complainant should first seek resolution through informal discussion with the instructor. In the event that the instructor is a teaching assistant, the faculty supervisor should also be present during these discussions.

Step 2. Should the matter not be resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant, informal discussion should be sought with the appropriate department chair. In the event that the chair is the respondent of the grievance, informal discussion will be held with the academic dean.

Step 3. Should the informal discussions as outlined in Steps 1 and 2 not prove satisfactory to the complainant, informal discussion should be sought with the appropriate academic dean, if the dean has not been previously consulted.

Step 4. Once all means of informal resolution on the collegiate level have been exhausted, the complainant should present a completed grade appeals form to the Registrar within fifteen (15) days of the initial discussion with the instructor. Grade appeals forms are available in the registrar's office and in the office of each collegiate dean.

Step 5. The registrar shall immediately forward the grade appeals form to the chair of the Academic Appeals Board who in turn will notify the faculty member/respondent that a formal grievance has been filed. The faculty member/respondent will be provided a copy of the completed grade appeals form.

Step 6. The chair of the Academic Appeals Board shall convene that committee within twenty (20) days of the receipt of the grade appeals form. (The Academic Appeals Board is defined in Section of the University Committee System.) Prior to the hearing, both complainant and respondent may elect to choose an advisor for the purposes of collecting data and/or presenting that individual's position to the board. Complainant and respondent have the right to be accompanied by their advisors during any open meeting of the board at which the board's agenda includes that particular grievance. The board holds the prerogative to call for pertinent testimony from any party involved in the grievance, or any party whom the board believes could clarify the grievance.

Step 7. Unless an extension of time is sought by the board, the written recommendation of the Academic Appeals Board shall be forwarded to the provost for final disposition. Copies of the recommendation shall also be sent to the appropriate academic dean, the complainant, and the respondent, within ten (10) days of the completion of the hearing. Telephone notification to the complainant of the availability of the recommendation shall fulfill the terms of this requirement. The text of the recommendation and all pertinent testimony and gathered data shall be kept in confidence.

NOTE: If at any point in this process, the student alleges that actions have taken place that may be in violation of Murray State University Non-Discrimination Policies, this process must be suspended and the matter directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity.

Academic Second Chance
Academic Second Chance (ASC) is an appeal procedure for an undergraduate student to request academic forgiveness for Murray State courses. It applies to a single semester or a continuous series of semesters within which a student earned grades lower than a C. If approved, those terms would be excluded when calculating the student's grade point average. No courses taken during the semesters approved for ASC would apply toward requirements for a degree.

A student who wishes to petition for ASC must have been separated from all institutions of higher learning for a minimum of two consecutive calendar years.

A petition may be submitted by an enrolled student after the student has reentered Murray State University and has earned a minimum of 12 degree credit hours at Murray State University with a minimum GPA of 2.50 on all hours since re-enrolling. No petitions will be considered after the student's first application for a baccalaureate degree. The petition must be submitted in writing to the Registrar's Office, specifying the terms for which ASC is requested.

ASC terms remain a part of the transcript with a notation that academic second chance has been applied and that grades are not included in GPA calculations. If a course removed by ASC was used as a repeat of an earlier course, the original course which had been removed from grade point average consideration due to the repeat will be added back into the GPA as though it had never been repeated.

The new GPA is the official GPA of the university. Students need to be aware that some agencies, academic areas, organizations, and scholarship programs may not recognize or allow ASC. ASC may be declared only once, applies only to MSU credits, and may not be revoked.

Withdrawal from School 
Students dropping all classes must contact the Registrar's Office for proper withdrawal procedures. Students cannot completely withdraw from school via RACER-TOUCH. Students who do not process official withdrawal forms will receive failing grades in all of their courses. Withdrawal must be completed no later than one week prior to the end of scheduled classes. A withdrawal date only, or a withdrawal date with W, WP or WE grades will be recorded on the student's permanent record in accordance with the dates published in the official Schedule of Classes. Refund policies are published each semester in the official Schedule of Fees. The WE grade calculates in the grade point average as a failing grade. Grades of W and WP have no GPA effect.

Administrative Withdrawal
Students who fail to meet their obligations to Murray State University, either financial or administrative, will be administratively withdrawn from the university and lose all credit being attempted. This includes students who withhold of falsify information or documents during the admission process. Withdrawal of any type does not remove the student's financial obligation to the university.

Murray State transcripts will be released at the hand-signed written request of the student and in conformity with existing state and federal statutes pertaining to the release of student academic records. There is a fee for this service. Copies of records from any other institution will not be issued.

The official academic record is the property of the university. Consequently, the university reserves the right to withhold the release of an official transcript of that record if the student has an obligation to the university, and reserves the right to maintain the information contained in the permanent record according to established practice and in compliance with state and federal laws.

Documents received from third parties (including high school and college transcripts, test scores, etc.) are the property of Murray State University. These documents cannot be released by Murray State to other institutions or agencies nor can they be returned to the student. Students needing to send high school transcripts, other school transcripts, test scores, etc., should contact the original source. 

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), more commonly referred to as the Buckley Amendment, addresses the right of access to educational records. With proper identification, enrolled students have the right to view their educational records. A request for amendment may be made. A request for a hearing about any unresolved issues should be made to the registrar.

A parent who claimed a student on the previous year's tax returns may request permission to view a student's educational records if the parent produces a copy of the previous year's return and sufficient personal identification. 

Educational records at Murray State University may be viewed by university officials with an appropriate need to know, as deemed appropriate by the registrar, and in compliance with FERPA. For this purpose, university officials are defined as the university attorney, all administrators, faculty, staff and student workers in administrative or academic areas.

Copies of FERPA and the university's policy on access are available for viewing in the Registrar's Office, first floor of Sparks Hall or on the Registrar's web page. The Murray State web page will contain any amendments to university policy which are approved subsequent to the publication of this bulletin.

Directory Information. Murray State University considers the following information to be "directory information" as defined in the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act as amended, and to be available for public release unless the student has indicated that any or all of the items are not to be released: name, addresses (including e-mail), telephone numbers, date of birth, place of birth, fields of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, degrees (pending and received), awards and honors, classification, full/part-time status, dates of attendance, and most recent previous educational institution attended. An enrolled student may register an objection to the release of this information by coming to the Registrar's Office during the first five days of classes and signing a form indicating the items to be withheld. This form must be completed each semester during which an enrolled student wishes that information to be withheld.

If a student requests information withheld during a term and does not return to Murray State after that term, that request remains in force until such time as a formal written statement removing that hold is received from the student.

Name and Address Change. Any student who changes name, social security number, or address is expected to notify the Registrar's Office and provide requested documentation. The student will be held responsible for any communication from any university office sent to the address last given and may not claim indulgence on the plea of having changed lodgings or name and therefore of not having received the communication. A student can check address and contact information on their PIN account. Change forms are available on the first floor offices of Sparks Hall and at on the Registrar's web page. The information from a student's initial admission application to the university will remain on the student's transcript with any changes added to the permanent record when the required legal documents are presented to the Registrar's Office. Contact the Registrar's Office for specifics on required documentation. Changing an address does not change residency for tuition purposes. See the Fee Policy section for information on residency for tuition.

Graduation Rate
Information on Murray State University's graduation rate for entering freshmen is available in the Registrar's Office, first floor, Sparks Hall or on the Registrar's web page.

University Calendar 
The official university academic calendar is published in detail in the Schedule of Classes. An abbreviated calendar listing dates of particular interest may be found in this edition of the Bulletin. Current university calendars are also available on the website.

Course and Policy Changes 
The university reserves the right to cancel any course for which there is insufficient enrollment and to make any other policy changes or adjustments in the Bulletin which are deemed necessary. Course changes and a complete listing is available on-line.

For 2004-2005, a commuting Kentucky resident can expect expenses of $4,928 a year for tuition, fees, books and supplies. 

For 2004-2005, a Kentucky student living in a campus residential college can expect expenses of about $9,818 a year, while an out-of-state student living on campus can expect expenses to be about $17,426 a year for tuition, fees, room, board, books and supplies. Personal expenses and travel have been excluded from this figure. Fees and expenses can change without prior notice, and room and board costs can vary somewhat depending on the meal schedule and type of room selected.

Extensive financial aid is available. Packages of aid may include scholarships, grants, loans and work opportunities for those who qualify. Financial aid applications (January of each year) and scholarship applications (November of each year) are available from high school guidance counselors or the MSU School Relations Office.

All fees including applicable room and board must be paid by noon on the due date shown on the semester billing statement. Please refer to the Schedule of Fees on-line at for payment information. Students who do not make payment of required fees are not registered students.

All fees are subject to change without notice by action of the Board of Regents of Murray State University. All accounts owed by a student to the university must be paid in full before the student is entitled to receive a transcript or record of grades or to have a degree conferred; to select classes during advance scheduling; or to enroll for classes.

Regional Tuition Discount
Students from Montgomery County in Tennessee and students admitted for Fall 2004, or after, from Massac County in Illinois, or Posey, Vanderburgh or Warrick Counties in Indiana will be assessed out-of-state tuition. At tuition discount will be credited for the difference between Murray State University's out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition. (Note: This will result in the student paying the same as in-state tuition.)

Regional Tuition Discount for students admitted or re-admitted (after a one year absence) beginning Summer 2001:

•Other than residents from the Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee counties referred to above, residents of Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, and Tennessee will be charged out-of-state tuition. A tuition discount will be credited for the difference between Murray State University's out-of-state tuition and an average in-state rate, 
based on colleges from the student's state of residency on record with Admissions Services.

•In order to receive the Regional Tuition Discount, undergraduate students must be eligible for admission, enroll full-time and pay for university housing. Graduate students will not be required to be full-time nor pay for university housing.

•Summer Regional Tuition Rates for graduate and undergraduate students will be based on their state's respective institution rates.

Legacy Grant
Provides out-of-state undergraduate children and grandchildren of Murray State University graduates with a tuition grant equal to the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition rates.

•Available during fall and spring semesters only.

•Covers eight semesters toward a first baccalaureate degree. 

•Began in the fall of 2004 for incoming freshmen and new transfer students who do not qualify for in-state tuition.

Application and additional information available at:

Senior Citizen's Tuition Waiver (Donovan Scholarship)
Murray State University in accordance with KRS 164.284, will waive tuition charges and fees (except for application fees, special workshops and noncredit continuing education courses) for any person sixty-five (65) years of age or older who is a resident of Kentucky. The individual must be 65 before the late registration dates for the term in which he or she wishes to enroll. Special course fees or necessary materials for class use are not covered in the waiver.

In the event that classes are full or the granting of free tuition requires additional staff or course sections, the university may deny an individual's request.

War Orphans and Spouse or Children of Disabled American Veterans Waivers
Murray State University in accordance with KRS 164.505 and 164.515 will waive tuition (except for special workshops and noncredit continuing education courses) for a dependent, widow or widower of servicemen or national guardsmen killed while in service or having died as a result of service-connected disability and the spouse or child of permanently disabled national guardsmen, war veterans, prisoners of war, or servicemen missing in action upon receipt of the required certification or other documents satisfactory to the university. For additional information contact Veterans' Affairs located in Ordway Hall.

Other State-Mandated Waivers
For information concerning other state-mandated waivers, contact or 270-762-4226.

SREB Academic Common Market
The Academic Common Market is a cooperative tuition-reduction agreement among 14 Southern Regional Education Board states. If the public institutions in one of the states does not offer degree programs in a certain field of study, it may be possible to arrange a waiver of out-of-state tuition to attend a cooperating public institution of higher education in another participating state. Periodic changes are made in the inventory of programs available. Participating states are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida (graduate programs only), Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (graduate programs), Virginia and West Virginia.

Write directly to the college or university for admission information. Once you have been accepted into a program and can prove you are a legal resident of Kentucky, contact the Kentucky Academic Common Market coordinator at the Council on Postsecondary Education, 1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320, Frankfort KY 40601, 502-573-1555 to certify your eligibility.

Murray State has eight residential colleges for students, all modern and well-equipped. The residence halls house approximately 3,000 students. Each residential college is equipped with a television lounge, study rooms, coin-operated laundry facilities, vending machines, and kitchenettes with microwaves. All residence halls are coed with the exception of Springer Hall (females only). All halls offer quiet wings and are nonsmoking.

The Housing Office staff seeks to make residential college living a unique experience. Murray state's living and learning program includes academic assistance, counseling, social and educational programs all in the residence halls. The nature and extent of academic assistance and counseling is limited by budgetary constraints, and the university makes no representation as to the success or failure of such efforts.

Students living in the residence halls are permitted to have automobiles, and parking is available in areas convenient to the colleges. Individual student rooms are equipped with telephone jacks, basic cable, Internet access, beds, desks, desk chairs, closets and drawer space. Students can receive expanded cable through a local cable company for an additional charge.

College Courts are 144 furnished apartment units which are available for married, nontraditional, and graduate students, or older students who are 21 years of age by the first day of registration. All apartments are air-conditioned, have laundry facilities in the buildings, and are equipped with telephone jacks, basic cable, and Internet access.

Applications and information concerning the residence halls and apartments may be obtained by writing the Director of Housing, Murray State University, 100 Housing Office, Murray KY 42071-3350.

Housing Requirements. All freshmen and sophomores who have not reached their 21st birthday prior to the first day of registration as it appears in the university academic calendar will be required to live in university housing and to purchase one of the available university cafeteria meal plans. 

Exempted from this requirement are students who are veterans of at least two years of active military service; students who daily commute from the permanent, legal residence of their parents or legal guardian (within a 50 mile radius); students who are married and living with their spouse; students who have resided in a university residential college four semesters, excluding summer terms; and students who have obtained junior status (sixty hours earned) who have enrolled full time at a postsecondary institution for four semesters, excluding summer.

Students who meet one of these criteria must complete a Request for Housing Exemption form with the Housing Office. The form must be on file prior to the first day of classes. Forms may be obtained from the Housing Office.

Freshmen and sophomores receiving family grants or undergraduates whose home or residence is in one of incentive grant counties or regional tuition counties of Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana or Tennessee and who accept the Incentive Grant or the regional tuition are also required to live in university housing.

Applications, Deposits, Refunds, Forfeits. Students desiring university housing must complete an application, enclose a $75 deposit for a residential college room or $100 deposit for a College Courts apartment, payable to Murray State University, and submit both to the Housing Office of the university as early as possible to assure accommodations. Scholarships do not cover the housing deposit. It is imperative to remember that before a student is permitted to move into university housing, the student must be admitted academically to the university.

Any student desiring to cancel a housing application must do so in writing to the Director of Housing no later than July 1 for a fall semester reservation, December 1 for the spring semester, and May 15 for the summer term.

Cancellation of a housing application after this date will result in a forfeiture of the deposit. Any student having a reservation but failing to register in a residential college also must forfeit the room deposit.

Room deposits are held while a student resides in university housing. After the initial application, a student need only complete a room reservation form to maintain a room in the residential college each year. The room reservation forms are distributed by each residential college office to students living in the college. When a student permanently moves from the residential college, the room deposit is refunded approximately 60 days after final departure. Costs for damages, missing inventory, outstanding debts, etc., will be deducted from the deposit refund.

Any student who applied for a room and accepts a key to a room is considered an occupant and is required to be a resident of that college. Students who withdraw from university housing to move to an off-campus residence during the contractual period must still pay for university housing. The residential college contract is for one academic year (fall and spring semesters). Students who formally complete an official withdrawal from the university are required to move from the residential college. They are eligible for a refund of the unused portion of their rent. Students who get married during the semester are also eligible for a refund after their marriage license is presented at the Housing Office.

Any student who is a dependent child (23 years of age or younger) of a current MSU faculty or staff member may apply for discounted room rate (current room rate less $100). Documentation must be provided to Housing.

Meal Plans
Freshman and sophomore students living in the residential colleges must participate in a meal program. Freshman and sophomore students may purchase the Racer or Thoroughbred 7, 10, 15 or the full 19 meals per week. Junior and senior students may choose from any of the Racer and Thoroughbred plans. There are 19 meals per week served on campus starting Monday breakfast through Sunday dinner. A student may eat only three meals per day except on Saturday and Sunday when only two meals per day are served. Students who select one of the Racer Plans will have their choice of meals each week not to exceed the maximum number of meals per week purchased. Students who select one of the Thoroughbred plans will have their choice of 0-19 meals per week until their maximum number of meals purchased is consumed. (A maximum of three meals per day is available with this option.)

For a listing and description of available meal plans, visit the Food Services Office, 101 Curris Center or on-line at: /meal_plans.htm

Freshman and sophomore students may use declining balance in addition to their required meal plan purchase.

Declining Balance
Students may elect to deposit money on the declining balance section on their ID card. These funds then can be used to purchase items in all food service locations as well as the University Store. Deposits for declining balance must be made in the Cashier's Office on the second floor of Sparks Hall.

Other Fees 
ACT residual test $30.00

ACT residual test (late registration) 35.00

Admission application fee 30.00

Bicycle Locker Rental fee (per year/semester) 45.00/25.00

BIS administration fee 25.00

BIS portfolio (each time) 25.00

Cooperative education (per credit hour) 184.50

[in-state and out-of-state]

Correspondence course (per credit hour) 184.50

Degree fee 20.00

Deferred degree fee (new diploma) 5.00

Departmental challenge exam (per credit hour) 5.00

Duplicate degree 10.00

Duplicate Racer Card ID 12.50

GED test (initial) 30.00

GED retake (per test) 6.00

GED transcript 5.00

Greek exemption fee 100.00

Horse/Rodeo Stall 300.00

Housing Deposit - Residential Colleges 75.00

College Courts 100.00

Housing lock change 25.00

Housing - Ten Month Contract 295.00

International Student Workshop Fee 55.00

Late registration fee 25.00

Learning-Disabled Students Individual Tutoring

1 hour per week for 15 weeks 150.00

Master's Thesis Binding Fee (per copy) 6.95

Miller Analogies Test 50.00

National Student Exchange application fee 100.00

Official transcript - mailed/on demand 3.00/5.00

Racer Card fee (one time) 12.50

Recreational ID per semester 25.00 

[spouse and dependent children of students, faculty and staff]

Residential college activity fee (full year) 7.00

Residential college activity fee (spring only) 3.50

Rodeo Stall Rental (per semester) 300.00

Rodeo Stall Deposit (refundable) 30.00

Service charge on returned checks 20.00

Summer Orientation fee - 1 day/2 day
  Student 40.00/60.00
  Guest/Parent 20.00/30.00

Vehicle parking permit: 

Annual, fall and/or spring 55.00

Stewart Stadium 35.00

replacement fee 27.50 


Certain academic courses such as private lessons, utilization of special facilities, directed experiences, etc., require an additional fee. For more information, a complete Schedule of Fees may be obtained at: /feeschedule.pdf

Fee Payment
Payments are due by noon on the due date shown on the semester billing statement. Credit card payments may be made by phone using RACER-TOUCH (270-762-3500) or by Racer Pay (minimum of two business days to credit to account) at Other payments may be mailed or made in person at the Cashier's Office, second floor, Sparks Hall. Cash, credit cards (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, VISA) and checks are acceptable methods of payment.

Payment options. Payment arrangements with appropriate payment must be made with the Office of the Bursar when parents and/or students are unable to make payment in full from personal funds by noon on the due date shown on the semester billing statement. Accounts with a balance of $100 or less are due in full. 

Acceptable payment arrangements consist of the following:

• Payment of all fees in full by noon on the due date shown on the semester billing statement.

• Enrollment in the Murray State University Payment Plan (MSUPP) with appropriate payment. Note: All financial aid and third-party recipients are required to enroll in the MSUPP. Acceptable third-party agencies are foreign embassies, vocational rehabilitation, Kentucky state agency, VA, Department of Labor, Fort Campbell, TAA, Upward Bound and company direct billing.

Late registration fees. The late registration period begins approximately 14 calendar days prior to the first day of classes. (See the official university calendar in the Schedule of Classes or at for exact dates.) All current or returning students registering for the semester for the first time during the late registration period will be assessed a $25 late registration fee. Failure to make payments by the due date shown on the student's billing statement will cause the student's class schedule to be dropped (purged) from the computer system. Students who elect to reschedule after their original schedules have been officially purged will be assessed the $25 late registration fee. New students will not be assessed a late registration fee during the first term they enroll at MSU.

Refunds will be made in accordance with the university's official Schedule of Fees, available at Any questions concerning a refund should be directed to the Bursar's Office.

Withdrawal. A student who completes official withdrawal (written clearance through the Registrar's and Bursar's offices constitutes completion) or is dismissed will receive a refund of tuition, fees, room and board in accordance with the official Schedule of Fees. Students residing in Murray State University residential colleges will receive refunds only in the event of withdrawal from school, dismissal or marriage. Students seeking to withdraw from school cannot use RACER-TOUCH to complete the process. The required form is available in the Registrar's Office. Call 270-762-3776 or e-mail for more information.

Drop. A student who completes the drop process through RACER-TOUCH will receive a refund of tuition and/or course fees if the student (1) drops below full-time, (2) is part-time and drops a class or classes, or (3) is full-time and drops a class with refundable course fees. A student who drops a meal plan will receive a refund. Both types of refunds will be in accordance with official session dates given in the Schedule of Fees at

Students should check their PIN account every time they use RACER-TOUCH to verify that they successfully altered their schedule.

Full-Semester Fall and Spring Terms
Withdraw or Drop During: % of Refund:

1st - 3rd day of classes 100%

4th - 10th day of classes 80%

11th - 30th day of classes 50%

After 30th day of classes 0%

Returned Check Policy
All checks returned by the bank as unpaid for any reason will carry a penalty of $20 per check. Any account for tuition, fees, room and board paid by a check which is returned by the bank will be considered not paid. Students who do not clear all returned checks within ten working days may be administratively withdrawn for nonpayment of required fees and/or be subjected to the appropriate legal action. Students who have had two or more returned checks will lose check-writing privileges on campus.

Other General Fee and Payment Information
All of the fees and charges in this Bulletin are subject to change without notice. Accounting and Financial Services, located on the second floor of Sparks Hall, is responsible for the interpretation and application of the university's policies related to fees and refunds. Any questions related to these should be directed to this office.

If a satisfactory determination or explanation of a specific fee or refund cannot be obtained after discussion with the Accounting and Financial Services personnel, a written appeal should be made to the vice president for administrative services. Appeals should include as much detail as possible to allow for adequate and speedy review.

Fee Policy
As a part of the state-supported system of higher education in Kentucky, Murray State University is governed by the following statewide policy (approved January 14, 1991). For additional information and a copy of the affidavit for a review of residency status, write Registrar's Office, Murray State University, 113 Sparks Hall, Murray KY 42071-3312, call 270-762-3741 or visit the Registrar's web page.

13 KAR 2:045. Determination of residency status for admission and tuition assessment purposes.

RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 13B, 164.020, 164.030, 164A.330(6) STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 164.020(8) NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 164.020(8) requires the Council on Postsecondary Education to determine tuition and approve the minimum qualifications for admission to a state-supported postsecondary education institution and authorizes the Council to set different tuition amounts for residents of Kentucky and for nonresidents. This administrative regulation establishes the procedure and guidelines for determining the residency status of a student who is seeking admission to, or who is enrolled at, a state-supported postsecondary education institution.

Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Academic term" means a division of the school year during which a course of studies is offered, and includes a semester, quarter, or single consolidated summer term as defined by the institution.

(2) "Continuous enrollment" means enrollment in a state-supported postsecondary education institution at the same degree level for consecutive terms, excluding summer term, since the beginning of the period for which continuous enrollment is claimed unless a sequence of continuous enrollment is broken 
due to extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control, including serious personal illness or injury, or illness or death of a parent.

(3) "Degree level" means enrollment in a course or program which could result in the award of a:

(a) Certificate, diploma or other program award at an institution;

(b) Baccalaureate degree or lower including enrollment in a course by a nondegree-seeking postbaccalaureate student;

(c) Graduate degree or graduate certification other than a first-professional degree in law, medicine, dentistry or "Pharm. D"; or

(d) Professional degree in law, medicine, dentistry, or "Pharm. D".

(4) "Demonstration of Kentucky domicile and residency" means the presentation of documented information and evidence sufficient to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that a person is domiciled in Kentucky and is a resident of Kentucky.

(5) "Dependent person" means a person who cannot demonstrate financial independence from parents or persons other than a spouse and who does not meet the criteria established in Section 5 of this administrative regulation.

(6) "Determination of residency status" means the decision of a postsecondary education institution that may include a formal hearing that results in the classification of a person as a Kentucky resident or as a nonresident for admission and tuition assessment purposes.

(7) "Domicile" means a person's true, fixed, and permanent home and is the place where the person intends to remain, and to which the person expects to return if absent without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.

(8) "Full-time employment" means continuous employment for at least forty-eight (48) weeks at an average of at least thirty (30) hours per week.

(9) "Independent person" means a person who demonstrates financial independence from parents or persons other than a spouse and who can meet the criteria established in Section 5 of this administrative regulation.

(10) "Institution" means an entity defined in KRS 164.001(11) if the type of institution is not expressly stated and includes the Kentucky Virtual University, the Council on Postsecondary Education, and the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority.

(11) "Kentucky resident" means a determination by an institution that a person is domiciled in and is a resident of Kentucky as determined by this administrative regulation.

(12) "Nonresident" means a person who is domiciled outside of Kentucky or who currently maintains legal residence outside Kentucky or who is not a Kentucky resident within the meaning of this administrative regulation.

(13) "Parent" means one (1) of the following:

(a) A person's father or mother; or

(b) A court-appointed legal guardian if:

1. The guardianship is recognized by an appropriate court within the United States;

2. There was a relinquishment of the rights of the parents; and

3. The guardianship was not established primarily to confer Kentucky residency on the person.

(14) "Preponderance of the evidence" means the greater weight of evidence, or evidence which is more credible and convincing to the mind.

(15) "Residence" means the place of abode of a person and the place where the person is physically present most of the time for a noneducational purpose in accordance with Section 3 of this administrative regulation.

(16) "Student financial aid" means all forms of payments to a student if one (1) condition of receiving the payment is the enrollment of the student at an institution.

(17) "Sustenance" means living expenses including room, board, maintenance, transportation, and also may include educational expenses including tuition, fees, books, and supplies.

Section 2. Scope. (1) State-supported postsecondary education institutions were established and are maintained by the Commonwealth of Kentucky primarily for the benefit of qualified residents of Kentucky. The substantial commitment of public resources to postsecondary education is predicated on the proposition that the state benefits significantly from the existence of an educated citizenry. As a matter of policy, access to postsecondary education shall be provided so far as feasible at reasonable cost to an individual who is domiciled in Kentucky and who is a resident of Kentucky.

(2) The Council on Postsecondary Education may require a student who is neither domiciled in nor a resident of Kentucky to meet higher admission standards and to pay a higher level of tuition than resident students.

(3) This administrative regulation applies to all student residency determinations regardless of circumstances, including residency determinations made by the state-supported institutions for prospective and currently-enrolled students; the Southern Regional Education Board contract spaces; reciprocity agreements, where appropriate; the Kentucky Virtual University; academic common market programs; the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship Program; and other state student financial aid programs, as appropriate.

Section 3. Determination of Residency Status; General Rules. (1) A determination of residency shall include:

(a) An initial determination of residency status by an institution during the admission process or upon enrollment in an institution for a specific academic term or for admission into a specific academic program;

(b) A reconsideration of a determination of residency status by an institution based upon a changed circumstance; and

(c) A formal hearing conducted by an institution upon request of a student after other administrative procedures have been completed.

(2) An initial determination of residency status shall be based upon:

(a) The facts in existence when the credentials established by an institution for admission for a specific academic term have been received and during the period of review by the institution;

(b) Information derived from admissions materials;

(c) Other materials required by an institution and which are consistent with this administrative regulation; or

(d) Other information available to the institution from any source.

(3) An individual seeking a determination of Kentucky residency status shall demonstrate that status by a preponderance of the evidence.

(4) A determination of residency status shall be based upon verifiable circumstances or actions.

(5) Evidence and information cited as the basis for Kentucky domicile and residency shall accompany the application for a determination of residency status.

(6) A student classified as a nonresident shall retain that status until the student is officially reclassified by an institution.

(7) A student may apply for a review of a determination of residency status once for each academic term.

(8) If an institution has information that a student's residency status may be incorrect, the institution shall review and determine the student's correct residency status.

(9) If the Council on Postsecondary Education has information that an institution's determination of residency status for a student may be incorrect, it may require the institution to review the circumstances and report the results of that review.

(10) An institution shall impose a penalty or sanction against a student who gives incorrect or misleading information to an institutional official, including payment of nonresident tuition for each academic term for which resident tuition was assessed based on an improper determination of residency status. The penalty may also include:

(a) Student discipline by the institution through a policy written and disseminated to students; or

(b) Criminal prosecution.

Section 4. Presumptions Regarding Residency Status. (1) In making a determination of residency status, it shall be presumed that a person is a nonresident if:

(a) A person is, or seeks to be, an undergraduate student and admissions records show the student to be a graduate of an out-of-state high school within five (5) years prior to a request for a determination of residency status;

(b) A person's admissions records indicate the student's residence to be outside of Kentucky at the time of application for admission;

(c) A person moves to Kentucky primarily for the purpose of enrollment in an institution;

(d) A person moves to Kentucky and within twelve (12) months enrolls at an institution more than half time; or

(e) A person has a continuous absence of one (1) year from Kentucky.

(2) A presumption arising from subsection (1) of this section shall be overcome by presentation of evidence that is sufficient to demonstrate that a person is domiciled in and is a resident of Kentucky.

Section 5. Determination of Whether a Student is Dependent or Independent. (1) In a determination of residency status, an institution shall first determine whether a student is dependent or independent. This provision is predicated on the assumption that a dependent person lacks the financial ability to live independently of the person upon whom the student is dependent and therefore lacks the ability to form the requisite intent to establish domicile.

(2) In determining the dependent or independent status of a person, the following information shall be considered as well as other relevant information available at the time the determination is made:

(a)1. Whether the person has been claimed as a dependent on the federal or state tax returns of a parent or other person for the year preceding the date of application for a determination of residency status; or

2. Whether the person is no longer claimed by a parent or other person as a dependent or as an exemption for federal and state tax purposes; and

(b) Whether the person has financial earnings and resources independent of a person other than an independent spouse necessary to provide for the person's own sustenance.

(3) An individual who enrolls at an institution immediately following graduation from high school and remains enrolled shall be presumed to be a dependent person unless the contrary is evident from the information submitted.

(4) Domicile may be inferred from the student's permanent address, parent's mailing address, or location of high school of graduation.

(5) Marriage to an independent person domiciled in and who is a resident of Kentucky shall be a factor considered by an institution in determining whether a student is dependent or independent.

(6) Financial assistance from or a loan made by a parent or family member other than an independent spouse, if used for sustenance of the student:

(a) Shall not be considered in establishing a student as independent; and

(b) Shall be a factor in establishing that a student is dependent.

Section 6. Effect of a Determination of Dependent Status on a Determination of Residency Status. (1) The effect of a determination that a person is dependent shall be:

(a) The domicile and residency of a dependent person shall be the same as either parent. The domicile and residency of the parent shall be determined in the same manner as the domicile and residency of an independent person.

(b) The domicile and residency of a dependent person whose parents are divorced, separated, or otherwise living apart shall be Kentucky if either parent is domiciled in and is a resident of Kentucky regardless of which parent has legal custody or is entitled to claim that person as a dependent pursuant to federal or Kentucky income tax provisions.

(2)(a) If the parent or parents of a dependent person are Kentucky residents and are domiciled in Kentucky but subsequently move from the state, the dependent person shall be considered a resident of Kentucky while in continuous enrollment at the degree level in which currently enrolled.

(b) If continuous enrollment is broken or the current degree level is completed, the dependent person's residency status shall be reassessed when the circumstances detailed in subparagraph 1 of this paragraph are present.

Section 7. Member of Armed Forces of the United States, Spouse and Dependents; Effect on a Determination of Residency Status. (1) A member, spouse, or dependent of a member whose domicile and residency was Kentucky at the time of induction into the Armed Forces of the United States, and who maintains Kentucky as home of record and permanent address, shall be entitled to Kentucky residency status:

(a) During the time of active service; or

(b) If the member, spouse, or dependent returns to this state within six (6) months of the date of the member's discharge from active duty.

(2)(a) A member, spouse or dependent of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in Kentucky on active military orders shall be considered a Kentucky resident while the member is on active duty in this state pursuant to those orders if the member is not:

1. Stationed in Kentucky for the purpose of enrollment at an institution; or

2. On temporary assignment of less than one (1) year.

(b) A member, spouse or dependent of a member, shall not lose Kentucky residency status if the member is thereafter transferred on military orders while the member, spouse or dependent requesting the status is in continuous enrollment at the degree level in which currently enrolled.

(3) Membership in the National Guard or civilian employment at a military base alone shall not qualify a person for Kentucky residency status under the provisions of subsections (1) and (2) of this section.

(4) A person's residency status established pursuant to this section shall be reassessed if the qualifying condition is terminated.

Section 8. Status of Nonresident Aliens; Visas and Immigration. (1)(a) A person holding a permanent residency visa or classified as a political refugee shall establish domicile and residency in the same manner as another person.

(b) Time spent in Kentucky and progress made in fulfilling the conditions of domicile and residency prior to obtaining permanent residency status shall be considered in establishing Kentucky domicile and residency.

(2) A person holding a nonimmigrant visa with designation A, E, G, H-1, H-4 if accompanying a person with an H-1 visa, I, K, L, N, R, shall establish domicile and residency the same as another person.

(3)(a) An independent person holding a nonimmigrant visa with designation B, C, D, F, H-2, H-3, H-4 if accompanying a person with an H-2 or H-3 visa, J, M, O, P, Q, S, TD or TN shall not be classified as a Kentucky resident, because that person does not have the capacity to remain in Kentucky indefinitely and therefore cannot form the requisite intent necessary to establish domicile within the meaning of this administrative regulation.

(b) A dependent person holding a visa as described in paragraph (a) of this subsection, but who is a dependent of a parent holding a visa as described in subsection (2) of this section, shall be considered as holding the visa of the parent.

(c) A dependent person holding a visa described in subsection (2) of this section or paragraph (a) of this subsection, if a parent is a citizen of the United States and is a resident of and domiciled in Kentucky, shall be a resident of Kentucky for the purposes of this administrative regulation.

(4) A person shall be a Kentucky resident for the purpose of this administrative regulation if the person graduated from a Kentucky high school and:

(a) Is an undocumented alien;

(b) Holds a visa listed in subsections (2) or (3)(a) of this section; or

(c) Is a dependent of a person who holds a visa listed in subsections (2) or (3)(a) of this section.

(5)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who has petitioned the federal government to reclassify visa status shall continue to be ineligible until the petition has been decided by the federal government.

(b) A person who has petitioned the federal government to reclassify visa status based on a marriage to a Kentucky resident and who can demonstrate that the petition has been filed and acknowledged by the federal government, may establish Kentucky domicile and residency at that time.

Section 9. Beneficiaries of a Kentucky Educational Savings Plan Trust. A beneficiary of a Kentucky Educational Savings Plan Trust shall be granted residency status if the beneficiary meets the requirements of KRS 164A.330(6).

Section 10. Criteria Used in a Determination of Residency Status. (1) A determination of Kentucky domicile and residency shall be based upon verifiable circumstances or actions. A single fact shall not be paramount, and each situation shall be evaluated to identify those facts essential to the determination of domicile and residency.

(2) The following facts, although not conclusive, shall have probative value in their entirety and shall be individually weighted, appropriate to the facts and circumstances in each determination of residency:

(a) Acceptance of an offer of full-time employment or transfer to an employer in Kentucky or contiguous area while maintaining residence and domicile in Kentucky;

(b) Continuous physical presence in Kentucky while in a nonstudent status for the twelve (12) months immediately preceding the start of the academic term for which a classification of Kentucky residency is sought;

(c)1. Filing of Kentucky resident income tax return for the calendar year preceding the date of application for a change in residency status; or

2. Payment of Kentucky withholding taxes while employed during the calendar year for which a change in classification is sought;

(d) Full-time employment of at least one (1) year while living in Kentucky;

(e) Attendance as a full-time, nonresident student at an out-of-state institution based on a determination by that school that the person is a resident of Kentucky;

(f) Abandonment of a former domicile or residence and establishing domicile and residency in Kentucky with application to or attendance at an institution following and incidental to the change in domicile and residency;

(g) Obtaining licensing or certification for a professional and occupational purpose in Kentucky;

(h) Payment of real property taxes in Kentucky;

(i) Ownership of real property in Kentucky, if the property was used by the student as a residence preceding the date of application for a determination of residency status;

(j) Long-term lease of at least twelve (12) consecutive months of noncollegiate housing;

(k) Marriage of an independent student to a person who was domiciled in and a resident of Kentucky prior to the marriage;

(l) Continued presence in Kentucky during academic breaks; and

(m) The extent to which a student is dependent on student financial aid in order to provide basic sustenance.

(3) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, the following facts, because of the ease and convenience in completing them, shall have limited probative value in a determination that a person is domiciled in and is a resident of Kentucky:

(a) Kentucky automobile registration;

(b) Kentucky driver's license; and

(c) Registration as a Kentucky voter.

(4) The absence of a fact contained in subsection (3) of this section shall have significant probative value in determining that a student is not domiciled in or is not a resident of Kentucky.

(5) A person shall not be determined to be a Kentucky resident by the performance of an act which is incidental to fulfilling an educational purpose or by an act performed as a matter of convenience. Mere physical presence in Kentucky, including living with a relative or friend, shall not be sufficient evidence of domicile and residency. A person shall respond to all information requested by an institution.

Section 11. Effect of a Change in Circumstances on Residency Status. (1) If a person becomes independent or if the residency status of a parent or parents of a dependent person changes, an institution shall reassess residency either upon a request by the student or a review initiated by the institution.

(2) Upon transfer to a Kentucky institution, a student's residency status shall be assessed by the receiving institution.

(3) A reconsideration of a determination of residency status for a dependent person shall be subject to the provisions for continuous enrollment, if applicable.

Section 12. Student Responsibilities. (1) A student shall report under the proper residency classification which includes the following actions:

(a) Raising a question in a timely manner concerning residency classification;

(b) Making application for change of residency classification in a timely manner with the designated office or person at the institution; and

(c) Notifying the designated office or person at the institution immediately upon a change in residency.

(2) If a student fails to notify an institutional official of a change in residency, an institutional official may investigate and 
evaluate the student's residency status.

(3)(a) If a student fails to provide, by the date specified by the institution, information required by an institution in a determination of residency status, the student shall be notified by the institution that the review has been canceled and that a determination has been made.

(b) Notification shall be made by registered mail, return receipt requested.

(c) Notification shall be made within ten (10) calendar days after the deadline for receipt of materials has passed.

(4) A student shall not be entitled to appeal a determination of residency status if the determination made by an institution is because a student has failed to meet published deadlines for the submission of information as set forth in subsection (3) of this section. A student may request a review of a determination of residency status in a subsequent academic term.

Section 13. Institutional Responsibilities. Each institution shall:

(1) Provide for an administrative appeals process that includes a residency appeals officer to consider student appeals of an initial residency determination and which shall include a provision of fourteen (14) days for the student to appeal the residency appeals officer's determination;

(2) Establish a residency review committee to consider appeals of residency determinations by the residency appeals officer. The residency review committee shall make a determination of student residency status and notify the student in writing within forty-five (45) days after receipt of the student appeal;

(3) Establish a formal hearing process as described in Section 14 of this administrative regulation; and

(4) Establish written policies and procedures for administering the responsibilities established in subsections (1), (2), and (3) of this section and that are:

(a) Approved by the institution's governing board;

(b) Made available to all students; and

(c) Filed with the council.

Section 14. Formal Institutional Hearing. (1) A student who appeals a determination of residency by a residency review committee shall be granted a formal hearing by an institution if the request is made by a student in writing within fourteen (14) calendar days after notification of a determination by a residency review committee.

(2) If a request for a formal hearing is received, an institution shall appoint a hearing officer to conduct a formal hearing. The hearing officer:

(a) Shall be a person not involved in determinations of residency at an institution except for formal hearings; and

(b) Shall not be an employee in the same organizational unit as the residency appeals officer.

(3) An institution shall have written procedures for the conduct of a formal hearing that have been adopted by the board of trustees or regents, as appropriate, and that provide for:

(a) A hearing officer to make a recommendation on a residency appeal;

(b) Guarantees of due process to a student that include:

1. The right of a student to be represented by legal counsel; and

2. The right of a student to present information and to present testimony and information in support of a claim of Kentucky residency; and

(c) A recommendation to be issued by the hearing officer.

(4) An institution's formal hearing procedures shall be filed with the Council on Postsecondary Education and shall be available to a student requesting a formal hearing.

Section 15. Cost of Formal Hearings. (1) An institution shall pay the cost for all residency determinations including the cost of a formal hearing.

(2) A student shall pay for the cost of all legal representation in support of the student's claim of residency. (17 Ky.R. 2557; eff. 4-5-91; Am. 22 Ky.R. 1656; 1988; eff. 5-16-96; 23 Ky.R. 3380; 3797; 4099; eff. 6-16-97; 24 Ky.R. 2136; 2705; 25 Ky.R. 51; eff. 7-13-98; 25 Ky.R. 2177; 2577; 2827; eff. 6-7-99; 749; 1238; eff. 11-12-2002.)

For additional information, write or call the Registrar's Office, Murray State University, 113 Sparks Hall, Murray KY 42071-3312; 270-762-3741.

Residency Reclassification
After reading the policy on "Determination of Residency for Admission and Tuition Assessment Purposes" (above), a student who wishes to request a review of residency classification should obtain an affidavit from the Registrar's Office on the first floor of Sparks Hall. The affidavit should be completed, signed, and notarized. All supporting statements and documents must be attached. Insufficient information may delay the request a full semester. The student should then present the affidavit to the Registrar's Office, first floor, Sparks Hall, no later than 30 calendar days after the first day of classes of the semester for which the appeal is being made. Students applying during or after registration must pay fees as originally assessed.

The registrar will act upon the request within 14 calendar days. A student whose request was denied by the registrar will have 14 calendar days from the receipt of the denial letter, as determined by the postal notification of receipt of certified mail, to formally appeal the decision. Appeals should be addressed to the Bursar's Office, 200 Sparks Hall, Murray KY 42071-3312. The appeal should include a letter and any additional supportive documentation. Students whose requests were approved by the registrar or by the residency review committee will be reported to the bursar so that fee adjustments or refunds can be processed accordingly. Questions concerning eligibility or the status of a request should be directed to the registrar at 270-762-3380, or e-mail

A copy of the complete operational policy on classification of residency for fee assessment purposes is available in the registrar's office.

Financial Assistance
Murray State University offers a wide variety of financial aid for deserving students. This aid is designed to assist students in financing their education, to recognize scholastic achievement, to encourage continued educational growth and to reward service to the university and the community.

In all cases, the student and/or the student's family or spouse are expected to contribute to the costs of education in proportion to their total financial capabilities.

If the student and his/her parents or spouse will commit all possible resources, the Student Financial Aid Office will make every effort to bridge the economic gap by a financial aid package. That package may consist of one or more of the following types of aid:

• Federal Pell Grant

• Federal Perkins Loan

• Federal PLUS (Parent) Loan

• Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan

• Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

• Federal Work-Study (part-time employment)

• Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority Grant (CAP)

• KHEAA Teacher Scholarship

• Norris (Short-Term) Loan

• Nursing Student Loan

• Scholarship

• University Student Employment (part-time employment)

Application forms and information concerning loans, grants and student employment may be obtained from the Student Financial Aid Office in Sparks Hall. Scholarship information may be obtained from the University Scholarships Office which is located in Ordway Hall.

Policies Governing Satisfactory Academic Standing, Progress and Financial Aid Eligibility
All students who receive, or will receive, assistance from the Federal Work-Study, Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, KHEAA (CAP) Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, or Federal PLUS loan programs will be required to make measurable academic progress toward a degree in order to assure the completion of their degree program within a "reasonable period of time." This policy also applies to the KHEAA Work-Study Program, Nursing Student Loan, Norris Student Loan and all KHEAA-administered programs (including teacher scholarships).

Failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress will result in the termination of your financial assistance or your financial aid eligibility. You may re-establish eligibility for financial assistance when the minimum requirements of the policy are satisfied. You must appeal and provide documentation (copy of grade report, doctor's statement, etc.) to the Student Financial Aid Office. It is your responsibility to secure and provide full written appeal information to the Student Financial Aid Office. Appeals cannot be accepted by calling the office or by visiting and verbally giving your reason for not making satisfactory progress/standing. Federal regulations require full written documentation for all appeals.

Undergraduate students receiving financial assistance based upon full-time status (a minimum of 12 hours per semester) will be required to earn a minimum of 24 semester hours within that academic year (fall and spring semesters). Students will be permitted a maximum of six (6) academic years for completion of a baccalaureate degree(s), three (3) years for an associate degree(s), and two (2) years for a certificate program for financial aid purposes.

Students attending less than full-time or for one semester only must adhere to an equivalent rate, as established by the Student Financial Aid Office.

In addition to the requirement to complete a minimum number of credit hours each academic year within a maximum time frame, a student must also meet the minimum requirement for satisfactory academic standing as follows:

If a student is on probation with Murray State, the MSU probation rules then apply. As long as you increase your cumulative grade point average each semester while on probation you will be eligible to re-enroll at MSU and will have met the financial aid grade point guidelines.

Neither repeating courses excessively nor taking courses that do not apply to a declared degree objective is considered making satisfactory progress toward graduation and will subject the student to loss of eligibility for financial aid.

If a student has more than two (2) official academic and/or administrative withdrawals from school while attending Murray State, the student will not be considered to be making satisfactory academic progress. Incompletes will not be considered until credit is recorded on the official MSU academic transcript. Audit of a class cannot be counted in any manner for financial aid purposes.

If a student receives financial aid funds as a full-time student and then drops below full-time status, the student will be treated as a full-time student for purposes of this policy.

Students failing to meet the standards of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy will not be considered for receiving financial assistance until the required number of hours are completed and/or the student meets the academic requirements during the semester that the student is on academic probation, or until an appeal is approved. Students may make up the hours and/or academic deficiencies by attending summer school and/or the regular semester(s) at the student's own expense. After completing the required number of hours, it is the student's responsibility to notify the Student Financial Aid Office and provide a copy of all grade reports. Eligibility may be continued, upon appeal, for students who, through no fault of their own, were unable to complete a semester under normal circumstances, e.g. accident, unexpected medical problems, or death in the immediate family (brother, sister, mother, father, spouse, child).

If the student does not meet the requirements, the student should still file financial aid forms for future terms on a timely basis. This will permit the student to be considered for financial aid once an appeal is approved.

If the student has been denied financial assistance because of a failure to make satisfactory academic standing/progress, the student has the right to appeal through the Student Financial Aid Office. If the student wishes to appeal the decision of the Student Financial Aid Office, an appeal may be made to the Financial Aid Appeals committee. All decisions of the committee are final. Students filing an appeal must complete the Financial Aid Reinstatement Appeal form, available in the Student Financial Aid Office. All appeal documentation and any mitigating circumstances will be reviewed and the student will be advised, in writing, of the appeal decision. Financial aid appeals are separate from appeals to Admissions. Decisions of these appeals are independent of each other.

Effective as of the 1991-92 year, student academic records are monitored for purposes of this policy for two full academic years.

Student Employment
Murray State University offers part-time employment to a large number of students each year. The Federal Work-Study Program provides on-campus employment to eligible students who are enrolled at least half-time and who show a need for the earnings. The University Student Employment Program offers jobs to students enrolled at least half-time who do not qualify for the federal program. All student employees are paid biweekly and are required to perform their assigned duties in a satisfactory manner.

Graduate assistantships are available at Murray State, and inquiries should be directed to the department head in the student's graduate field.

Murray State University awards a number of non-need-based scholarships each year to qualified students. Scholarships are supported by the Alumni Association/Development, the Murray State University Foundation, and academic departments, as well as business and professional organizations. Information on 
scholarships is available through the Office of University Scholarships located in Ordway Hall.

Beginning freshmen use one application which is updated with new available awards each year. Qualifications and restrictions are listed, along with the names and particulars of all scholarships. In some areas, talent and proficiency are considered as well as academic information. Contact the individual department for details.

Generally, scholarships are offered on the basis of scholastic achievement, American College Testing (ACT) score, character, leadership and the promise of continued educational growth. In some cases, financial need is considered.

High school students wishing to receive a current scholarship application must send their official ACT scores to Murray State prior to November 1 of their senior year. A minimum score of 21 is required for direct mailing. Additional applications are sent to high school counselors. Requests for additional information should be addressed to the Office of University Scholarships, 122 Ordway Hall, Murray KY 42071-3305.

Scholarships are also available for qualifying transfer students, upper-class students, nontraditional students and graduate students. In most cases, students must have completed 24 semester hours and have a 3.20 grade average (based on a 4.00 scale). Applications are available from the Office of University Scholarships normally by December 1.

The total amount of Murray State scholarship award for any given student in conjunction with other Murray State tuition adjustments (i.e., Incentive Grants, alumni family grants, etc.) may not exceed a student's actual cost.

Scholarship Application Deadlines:
Entering freshmen February 1
All other students February 15

Awards are made for academic years. Students applying for spring scholarships are considered as alternates; there are no new awards for students entering in the spring semester.

NOTE: There is a continuing effort to secure additional awards. For an accurate and complete list of available scholarships, along with specific guidelines, please contact the Office of University Scholarships.

Additional resource information is available. As a free service, the Scholarship Office also offers programs for obtaining information about resources outside Murray State. Deadlines vary. Students may call the Scholarship Office to set up an appointment to use the programs.

Questions or requests for further information may be directed to the Office of University Scholarships at 800-272-4678, menu option #4, or 270-762-3225.

MSU Foundation Loan Funds
• E. B. Howton Jackson Purchase PCA Loan Fund. See the chairman of the School of Agriculture.

• E. B. Howton West Kentucky PCA Loan Fund. See the chairman of the School of Agriculture.

• Maureen "Molly" Jones Memorial Nursing Loan Fund. Emergency loan fund — contact the chairman of the Department of Nursing.

• Carl Timmel Memorial Loan Fund. Applicants must have at least a junior standing at Murray State University. Contact the dean of the College of Business and Public Affairs.