Getting started at MSU

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The Office of Veterans Affairs can help you complete the application and can certify your enrollment to the DVA, so you can receive benefits. To apply for benefits, follow the link to VONAPP:

In order to be certified for VA education benefits, a student must be admitted to MSU, registered for courses in a degree-seeking program, and have provided the Office of Veterans Affairs with the required documentation.

Each semester after registration, students eligible for benefits must complete the Certification Request Form (CRF). This is a form specific to MSU and not a VA form. A student will be certified during a semester only after he or she completes their CRF and have turned in any additional documentation, confirming their eligibility for benefits. Generally, it takes the Office of Veterans Affairs up to a week to submit a certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Eligible veterans, service members, and dependents will need to follow the checklist for the chapter for which they are going to be receiving benefits to ensure timely payment of benefits.

Benefits Checklists 
Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill – Veteran 
Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill – Dependent 
Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance 
Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty 
Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves 
Chapter 1607, Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) 
Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation 

Welcome Packet