Internships give students an opportunity to gain professional experience in advertising, graphic communications media, journalism, public relations, or television production. Undergraduate students must have earned at least 45 hours of academic credit prior to enrolling in JMC 596 Internship. Graduate students must have permission from their adviser prior to enrolling in JMC 616 Professional Internship in Mass Communications.
Internships may be either paid or unpaid. Students must work at least 240 hours during the internship experience. Students must find their own internships. The Department of Journalism and Mass Communications is only responsible for suggesting organizations where students might find internship opportunities. Students are responsible for making contact with possible internship employers, arranging for interviews, and any needed follow-up. Students are advised to have a professional résumé and appropriate cover letter. These documents must be free of errors and use a sound, readable design.
When undergraduate students secure an internship, they should meet with the internship coordinator to get permission to enroll in JMC 596. Graduate students should see either the graduate coordinator or the department chair to get permission to enroll in JMC 616. Students work the internship in the summer and enroll in the course in the fall. NOTE: JMC 596 and JMC 616 are real courses that meet at regular times. Students are expected to take the courses seriously. Failure to do so may result in a failing grade in the internship. JMC 596 and JMC 616 are only offered in the fall semester.
Students complete a case study describing their internship experience, their employing company and the city in which they worked. Before students start to work their internships, they should get a copy of the internship packet that has the list of materials they need to collect for their case study and the evaluation form that internship supervisors complete at the end of the internship.
For more information, contact the department’s internship coordinator:
Professor Gill Welsch
Journalism and Mass Communications
Murray State’s Career Services Office has links to hundreds of internships across the nation. Sign up for CareerShift for a convenient way to search for jobs and internships.
Location: Memphis, TN
ALSAC/St. Jude’s mission is to raise funds to sustain St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, TN. ALSAC/St. Jude offers internships in marketing, public relations and other related areas. Search for internships using the “View Open Jobs” link on the ALSAC/St. Jude website.
Internships in public relations, advertising, website design.
Contact Mae Polczynski at email@example.com.
Location: Louisville, KY
Internships with Louisville’s daily newspaper. Opportunities are usually available in design, reporting, photography and editing. The call for interns is usually available in late September.
Location: Nashville, TN
The No. 1 country music TV network offers internships in a number of behind-the-scenes areas, including ad sales, marketing, production, public relations and digital imaging.
Gannett, owner of a number of major newspapers in the U.S. offers internships in a number of areas, including reporting, marketing, advertising, and production. Search for internships under the “Careers” tab on the Gannett website.
Internships offered by newspapers in 18 states. The jobs are in news-editorial, advertising, production and photography.
A listing of various broadcast, print and multi-media journalism internships.
Location: Various cities in Kentucky
Paid newspaper and public relations internships available through KPA. The call for interns is usually available in mid-October or early November.
Location: New York, NY
The Marist in Manhattan Internship Program is operated by Marist College. It has more than 25 years of experience placing undergraduate students in New York City internships.
Learn more about the Marist in Manhattan Internship Program.
Location: Bethesda or Rockville, MD
Graduate-level internships in health communication or science writing. Internships last six months or one year.
View available internships with the National Cancer Institute.
The JMC department has had several students get advertising and public relations internships with some of the companies owned by Omnicom Group, Inc.
For more information, contact Prof. Gill Welsch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View available internships with Omnicom Group, Inc. companies.
Internships with various TimeWarner companies, including HBO, Turner and Warner Bros.
Location: Washington, DC
Exciting internships in the nation’s capital help students determine their goals, refine their interests, and confirm their professional passion.
View available internships with the Washington Internship Institute.
Location: Washington, DC
American University administers the program that provides journalism and new media internships at a number of Washington, D.C.-based media outlets, including Bloomberg, USA Today, the Washington Post, CBS, NBC, the National Geographic, and the Hurst Washington Bureau.
Location: Murray, KY
Broadcast journalism internship with potential national exposure through National Public Radio.
Location: Paducah, KY
NBC affiliate offers internships in all phases of television and broadcast news operations. Year-round positions are available.
- [IN]Vision • Columbus, OH
- ALSAC/St. Jude • Memphis, TN
- Baptist Health Paducah • Paducah, KY
- BBDO Atlanta • Atlanta, GA
- BBDO New York • New York, NY
- Bisig Impact Group • Louisville, KY
- Brodeur Principles • Boston, MA
- Chicago Tribune • Chicago, IL
- Cone Communications • Boston, MA
- Diversified Agency Services • New York, NY
- Doe Anderson Advertising and Public Relations • Louisville, KY
- Elizabethtown News-Enterprise • Elizabethtown, KY
- Energy BBDO • Chicago, IL
- Estes Public Relations • Louisville, KY
- Evansville Courier & Press • Evansville, IN
- Fathom Communications • Chicago IL
- Fathom Communications • New York, NY
- FleishmanHillard • Beijing, China
- FleishmanHillard • Chicago, IL
- FleishmanHillard • New York, NY
- FleishmanHillard • Seoul, South Korea
- Froggy 103.7 • Murray, KY
- Ft. Knox • Ft. Knox, KY
- GO! Experience Design • Atlanta, GA
- GO! Experience Design • New York, NY
- Goodby Silverstein & Partners • San Francisco, CA
- Graves County Economic Development • Mayfield, KY
- JCPenney • Plano, TX
- Kentucky Farm Bureau • Louisville, KY
- Kentucky New Era • Hopkinsville, KY
- KSDK-TV • St. Louis, MO
- Larry Levinson Productions • Los Angeles, CA
- Lexington Herald-Leader • Lexington, KY
- Maritz • St. Louis, MO
- Martin/Williams • Minneapolis, MN
- Merkley+Partners • New York, NY
- MTV Networks/CMT • Nashville, TN
- Murray Convention & Visitors Bureau • Murray, KY
- Murray Ledger & Times • Murray, KY
- Murray State University Athletics • Murray, KY
- Murray State University Communications • Murray, KY
- Nashville Public Television • Nashville, TN
- National Forrest Service • Ashville, NC
- NewsChannel 5 • Nashville, TN
- OMD Chicago • Chicago, IL
- OMD Los Angeles • Los Angeles, CA
- OMD New York • New York, NY
- OMD/Pathway • New York, NY
- Paducah Sun • Paducah, KY
- Porter Novelli • New York, NY
- Porter Novelli • Washington, DC
- RAPP • Dallas, TX
- RAPP • New York, NY
- Serino Coyne • New York, NY
- Targetbase • Dallas, TX
- The Designory • Chicago, IL
- The Journey Church • Murray, KY
- The Tennessean • Nashville, TN
- The Voice of America • Washington, DC
- TPN • Chicago, IL
- TPN • Dallas, TX
- University of Tennessee-Martin Athletics • Martin, TN
- West Kentucky Motor Speedway • Calvert City, KY
- WGNO, TV • New Orleans, LA
- WHAS-TV • Louisville, KY
- WLKY-TV • Louisville, KY
- WPSD-TV • Paducah, KY
- WPTV-TV • West Palm Beach, FL
- WYMT-TV • Hazard, KY