Belize International Teaching Experience
Students will gain teaching experience by assisting a Belizean teacher in a classroom setting for three weeks. Weekend trips will allow students to explore the cultural and natural wonders of Belize.
- View our Belize photo album (through Google Picasa)
- Download the "What You Need to Know" Powerpoint presentation
Students will complete 12 weeks of student teaching in Kentucky and fulfill most Murray State requirements, including the eligibility portfolio before departure for Belize.
Program Fee* of $2,500:
- Includes roundtrip airfare from Nashville, housing, program deposit, on-site transportation and hotels (one night in San Ignacio and two nights in San Pedro)
- Does not include passport fees, insurance, meals, or weekend excursion entrance and activity fees. Total cost of meals and excursion fees is estimated at $700.
* All program fees are tentative and subject to change.
**Tuition is included in the semester tuition payment for all full-time semester students.
How to Apply:
Students will need to complete an online application along with a $100 application fee. Applications are completed through the Murray State Study Abroad online system, Horizons. Click HERE to apply for the Belize program.
The following must accompany the application:
- Faculty reference
- Murray State transcript (copy of MyGate accepted)
- Insurance enrollment (must be completed by the student and a copy uploaded to Horizons)
After you have completed the online study abroad application through Horizons, you'll be notified via email of your acceptance to the program. You'll also be able to login anytime to see the status of your application. After acceptance, additional requirements will be listed at your homepage of Horizons. Those items are due at the final deadlines indicated below.
ALL LATE ITEMS WILL INCUR A $10 FEE PER ITEM PER DAY.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
Federal Financial Aid applies to the cost of study abroad programs. Contact the Murray State Financial Aid Office to determine eligibility. Scholarships are available specifically for study abroad with Murray State. See the scholarship page of the Study Abroad website for details.
Housing and Meals:
Students will be housed in shared apartments and will be free to prepare their own meals or purchase meals at local restaurants.
EDU 423 International Teaching Experience - this one-credit course will provide an international experience for prospective teachers through which they will come to understand the impact of culture and colonization on education of diverse races.
Comments from Former Student Participants:
- “If you’re feeling discouraged about the teaching profession itself, getting away from the 'system' and down to the roots of teaching can really reassure you that you’ve chosen the right career.”
- “This experience has been a very unique opportunity to be completely submerged in another culture. We are in the schools meeting children, faculty, and parents. We are able to be in the community and live like they live. Everyone has been very welcoming, and the kids are so polite and friendly. I am very glad that I came on this trip. The things that I have experienced and learned through it will stay with me forever.”
- “For me, the best aspect of the Belize Teaching Experience was being able to see how much I changed from one end to the other.”
- “Some days you may come home very frustrated but the next you may make an inch of progress and you will be the happiest person in the world, either way I firmly believe I am a stronger, more confident teacher because of this experience.”