Murray State Advance
ADVANCE Adaptation: Leveling the Playing Field , Strategic Equity Initiatives at Murray State University
In a continuation of our ADVANCE work, Murray State University will adapt successful programs from institutions such as University of New Hampshire and University of Washington for use at MSU. Based on our 2017 Climate Survey, we know there are challenges that women STEM faculty face. Through MSU-LEARN, we will develop interactive theatre modules to address implicit bias in search, tenure and promotion processes. Through MSU-GROW, we will develop programs to improve the retention and advancement of women faculty. We will enhance work-life balance at MSU through MSU-LIVE strategies. This $1 million initiative is supported by the National Science Foundation.
Publication and Resources
- McCarthy M, Balthrop D, Fuller C, Kemp R, Waddill P, Zhang Q. Differences and Deficits Affecting Women in STEM Faculty at Murray State University. Poster Presented at EMBO | EMBL | HHMI Conference: Gender
Roles and their Impact in Academia; 2020 Oct 13-15; Virtual
- McCarthy M, Balthrop D, Fuller C, Kemp R, Waddill P, Zhang Q. "Emotional Labor in Higher Education". 2021 STEM For All Video Showcase COVID, Equity, & Social Justice; 2021 May 11-18; Virtual. View presentation
- McCarthy M, Balthrop D, Fuller C, Kemp R, Waddill P, Zhang Q. "Interactive Theatre Addresses Implicit Bias In University Search and Tenure Processes". YouTube. 2020 Oct 9. Watch video
- McCarthy M, Balthrop D, Fuller C, Kemp R, Waddill P, Zhang Q. "Emotional Labor in Higher Education". YouTube. 2020 Nov 16. Watch video
- McCarthy M, Balthrop D, Fuller C, Kemp R, Waddill P, Zhang Q. "Achieving work-life balance for women in higher education". YouTube. 2020 Oct 14. Watch video
Committees and Announcements
- Bob Jackson, President
- Tim Todd, Provost
- Robert Pervine, Associate Provost
- David Eaton, Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business
- Claire Fuller, Jesse D. Jones College of Science, Engineering & Technology
- David Balthrop, College of Humanities & Fine Arts
- Brian Parr, Hutson School of Agriculture
- Ashley Ireland, University Libraries
- Cami Duffy, Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Access
- Courtney Hixon, Human Resources
- Susana Bloomdahl, President's Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
- Melony Shemberger, Faculty Regent
- Sara Cooper, Gender Equity Caucus
- Karen Graham, University of New Hampshire
- Cristina Villalobos, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- Joan Herbers, Ohio State University
- Mary Anne Holmes, University of Nebraska Lincoln
- Bobby Lee, West Kentucky Community & Technical College, Murray State Biology alumna
- Lauren Schmidt Martin, Appriss, Murray State Math/CS alumna
- Joyce Yen, University of Washington
ADVANCE 2022 Climate Study Recommendations
The ADVANCE PIs have made the following recommendations to Murray State based on the 2022 Climate Study:
- Improve perception that work/life balance is a priority at Murray State.
- Further develop faculty support network by institutionalizing the ADVANCE Mentoring Circles and other activities.
- Continue to provide opportunities for leadership development for women faculty.
- Revise/extend how service is counted in annual evaluation forms and Tenure & Promotion process.
- Increase salaries to be comparable to peer institutions and establish mechanisms for annual increases.
- Continue bias training and increase clarity in tenure & promotion processes.
- Continue to improve recruitment activities for greater faculty diversity.
- Increase exposure to policies about the extension of the probationary period (see Faculty Handbook).